1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 178

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Ali Ardavan, May 3, 2016.

1. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Game of the Month 178: May 2016

Civilization: 1 Viking settler
    Starting tech: Bronze Working
    Difficulty: Emperor
    Total players: 7
    Restarts: on
    Restless Tribes (+0)
    50x80 game generated map

Deadline: July 5 19, 2016

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attached Files:

2. Ali Ardavan

Resource seed is 24. The tile north of the eastern forest is 4-specials with ocean access which is pretty good for OCC.

3. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

Might do an OCC on this one then. 7 players + rocky initial terrain + having just started GOTM177+RL obligations=not a lot of spare time! Hopefully the aforementioned tile isn't mountains or something. That'd be sad.

4. Ali Ardavan

I do not know what that tile is, but it is land. Mountain would be worst. Hill and tundra will be pretty bad too. Jungle and swamp can be transformed but they take a long time. With any of these outcomes I will look for another close by but more suitable city site.

Another thing I have been thinking about is doing a size-1 OCC. I have read about it but never attempted it. It is just like an OCC except that your city stays at size 1 for the entirety of the game. The initial site is perfect for this; you start on plains and have a gold mountain nearby. If you work the gold, your food surplus is zero and your city never grows. Gold is the ultimate special to have for extra arrows. The only shortcoming here is not having a second none settler which would be a great help to road and mine the mountain. I can produce a size 1 settler but to afford its food per turn I have to work something other than the mountain while it is working which makes it difficult.

5. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

Could also build on the gold and work an ocean square or something. Building on mountains gives 1food per turn on MGE, probably on classic as well.

6. Ali Ardavan

Good idea. This will reduce my shield output potential by 1 (before railroad and 2 after) which after the early game is immaterial. And in the early game I could work a forest instead of ocean.

7. haleewud

haleewud Chieftain

I started playing several weeks ago. I just returned from being out of town for 10 days. Can I get an extension to finish? BTW, I am not playing OCC.

8. Ali Ardavan

Absolutely. Deadline extended by 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk