1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[PTW] GOTM 180 France, Deity -- Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Sep 26, 2020.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

GOTM 180 France, Deity
    gotm_180_illu.jpg

Knightfall likes this.
  2. Più Freddo

In this game, you will rule over the French, who are Commercial and Industrious and start the game with the knowledge of Masonry and Alphabet. This is a Deity-level game. The French Unique Unit is the Musketeer, a Musketman with a slightly stronger offensive. Saltpeter is required to build a French Musketeer.

Starting Position

gotm_180_start.jpg

Scope of the Game

Normal Map
    Archipelago, 60% Water
    Normal, Temperate Climate
    3 Billion Years old world.
    Roaming Barbarians

The game is released on October 1, 2020.
    Submissions are due by December 31, 2020.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

(This limit will be changed as the game progesses.)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
    Knightfall and ignas like this.
  3. Più Freddo

Pre-Game Discussion

No spoiler information from after opening the game save file is allowed!

4. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

That looks like a beautiful location to found my capital! I will send my worker SE to road the cattle, then irrigate it(?), and plan for my next city to be three tiles either NE or SW depending upon where the closest rival seems to be, building towards them to claim the territory. I will plan for ring placement at xoox, build walls in my outer towns, and give up any dreams of cultural dominance. If I can build a complete ring of settlements with adequate defenses I might hold on for many years. I have no delusion that I can win at this level.

5. milr

milr Chieftain

No delusion here either, Jack. At least we'll feed on a steady diet of filet mignon!

6. Più Freddo

Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

7. Captain_Jack

Mid-Term Report, France, GOTM_180
    A transcript of the King’s report to the nobility, delivered at his summer palace in Rouen just prior to a ball celebrating the 4,000 anniversary of France, and his reign.

Bonjour mes amis! It is 10 AD and today we celebrate our 4,000th anniversary. France appears healthy and vibrant, but there are unsettling rumors of a charismatic prophet rising in Babylon, perhaps instigating his people to conquer new lands and bring more to their faith. Barbarous enemies surround us and our future is not assured. At this critical moment, with the future of France in the balance, I will review for you our past accomplishments and our slim hopes for the future.

4,000 B.C. – 2,000 B.C.

I founded Paris in place and created a tidy ring of cities. We met Babylon and Egypt and we got along well. Our land was fertile and we expanded to fill it. Our neighbors developed new skills and we traded our own special skills and our gold for their knowledge. Some of our more significant trades were:
    Alphabet/Masonry/110g for Pottery/Warrior Code (Babylon 2,5210 B.C.)
    Ceremonial Burial/Bronze Working/ Iron Working for 200g/4gpt (Egypt 2150 B.C.)

2,000 B.C. – 1,000 B.C.

Early advisors suggested I direct my scientists to research mathematics since France was uniquely positioned to get there early, and in 2,000 B.C. René Descartes was the first to discover Mathematics. By then our glorious nation was lagging in science, but I was able to trade this new skill widely and profitably to get us back to the lead in science. We were looking strong in the laboratory, and I was building a powerful army to defend our lands.

In 1,375 B.C. we were lagging in science again, but we were somehow in nearly sole possession of Polytheism. Babylon demanded this and I give it to them, but then I immediately traded it widely to get even on science again (and to make it worthless for that tyrant). All this while I had been paying piddling tributes to any nations who asked. What did 23 gold coins matter to me? I swallowed my pride.

During this time we met all the rivals fairly quickly except the lonely Ottomans whom I met in time. Trades kept us from falling too far behind in science, but the enemies keep pulling away. I founded a city on the iron in the distant north to get that vital ore and I built swordsmen aplenty, but our hold on the land is tenuous.

Many of our tiles lie undeveloped. I noticed that we had 0.6 workers per city and the Wise Ones have suggested a ratio of 1.5 workers per city. At the risk of softening our defense I built more workers and deployed them mostly around the inner ring of cities.

Today, 110 A.D.

As we enter our fifth millennium France is in danger. Our capital region is depicted below:
    GOTM180_10AD.jpg
    I would have liked to settle the desert to the south and the jungle to the east and perhaps there will still be time, but there is more fertile land we should take first. If we ever develop a truly offensive military we can take the lands by force. For now, that is not an option.

The great and immediate danger is Babylon. Our scouts noticed an absolutely overwhelming concentration of Babylonian bowmen on our border just outside Fer de Rouen, our only source of iron. You can see the stacks depicted just outside the negotiation box.
    CravenCapitulation.jpg

Suspecting invasion was imminent I negotiated a treaty. We cannot defeat the Babylonians in war, but perhaps I will be able to outmaneuver them diplomatically by buying peace at a tolerable price. It will cost us 8gpt, but 160 gold pieces is a small price to pay for at least the chance to stay alive. I also gave up right of passage, but the Babylonian hordes have been traipsing across our lands since the dawn of time and we have not yet been strong enough to stop it. We must hope they honor the treaty until we discover gunpowder, which brings the prospect of musketeers in all our cities and a golden age. Perhaps we should halt research for a time and spend all our gold on upgrading our military. This matter will be discussed at high council.

I pray we survive and I ask your prayers and commitment in return. But tonight we dance…

Più Freddo likes this.
  8. Più Freddo

Aprés nous le déluge

9. Più Freddo

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

10. Green Bear

Green Bear Chieftain

4000 BC
    Settled in place
    Built warrior, warrior, granary

3250 BC
    Discover Pottery

3100 BC
    Paris builds granary

2800 BC
    Discover Ceremonial Burial

2750 BC
    Found Orleans

2470 BC
    Found Lyons

2390 BC
    Found Rheims

2190 BC
    Found Tours

1990 BC
    Found Marseilles
    Found Chartres

1910 BC
    Meet Babylon

1870 BC
    Trade Writing for Warrior Code and Bronze Working with Babylon

1550 BC
    Found Avignon
    Forbidden Palace is available

1450 BC
    Discover Literature. No research for a long time

1325 BC
    I have contact with Babylon, America, Korea, Egypt and Japan
    Trade Literature for 35 gold, 2 workers and contact with the Zulu to Korea
    Got 193 gold for Literature and world map from America
    Got 63 gold and territory map for Literature from Egypt
    Got Iron Working and 1 gold for Literature from Babylon
    Got The Wheel and 14 gold for Literature from Zululand
    Japan gives Mysticism and 3 gold for Literature

1150 BC
    Got the Great Library
    Found Besancon

1125 BC
    Learn Mathematics, Philosophy, Code of Laws, Map Making and Horsback Riding

1075 BC
    Found Rouen

1050 BC
    Found Grenoble

950 BC
    Learn Construction
    Found Dijon

925 BC
    Found Amiens

750 BC
    Learn Polytheism
    Found Cherbourg

730 BC
    Found Poitiers

650 BC
    Found Toulouse
    Found Bayonne

610 BC
    Meet the Ottomans

570 BC
    Learn Currency, The Republic, Monarchy and Engineering

570 bc.jpg

11. Più Freddo

Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

12. Captain_Jack

The French Republic (The Early Years)

In 1130 A.D. France peacefully converted to a Republic. The new government thought it best to keep peace if at all possible, and to focus on developing a potent and trustworthy defense. That meant infantry in every town and railroads connecting the entire nation. The problem with that plan was that in our lands we had no coal and no rubber:

Coal> Two sources of coal are in Babylon, just beyond our borders. One in territory that we once controlled before a border town flipped. As long as Babylon will trade we are content. If they eventually refuse us we might need to go to war and then our goal will be the coal deposits on the northern end of our shared continent. So far all they ask is 30 gold in tribute.

Rubber> We have no rubber either, which is not surprising, but to the NE there is undeveloped land with a rubber lying fallow. An expeditionary force will be prepared to settle and take it. If it is too late to take it peacefully the neighbors there are Ottoman and America, and either one is an enemy that does not frighten us. In the meantime Japan is willing to trade rubber to us for a minimal price.

Our people are happy. We have all eight luxuries and the happiness slider was at 0% until 1500 A.D. There is frequent war with Japan and/or the Zulu, but as we are not continental neighbors with either they can only land troops on the beach and I have such a strong cavalry that I am always able to wipe the invading forces out immediately. More troubling is the constant bombardment that causes real and costly damage to my coastal cities.