1. Firaxis celebrates the "Asian American and Pacific Islander Heritage Month", and offers a give-away of a Civ6 anthology copy (5 in total)! For all the details, please check the thread here. .
    Dismiss Notice
  2. We have selected the winners of the Old World random draw and competition. For the winning entries, please check this thread.
    Dismiss Notice
  3. Old World has finally been released on GOG and Steam, besides also being available in the Epic store . Come to our Old World forum and discuss with us!
    Dismiss Notice

[PTW] GOTM 184 Spain Deity -- Discussion and Spoilers

Discussion in 'Civ3 - Game of the Month' started by Più Freddo, Sep 29, 2021.

1. Più Freddo

Più Freddo From space, earth is blue

But you should!

Knightfall and ignas like this.
  2. Più Freddo

I followed a different strategy this time. I researched towards Conquistadores first and only then to The Republic. The Conquistadores came in very handy to defend my empire against Barbarians, which was necessary because I, as usual, used the RCP3 city placement, which creates a very compact core and leaves much space free for Barbarians and the other tribes. So I could reach The Republic only in 590 BC and was then not able to trade for the missing Polytheism, Currency and Construction for entering the Middle Ages. This would appear to be the major set-back compared to Ignas game as descibed above.

Luckily, I also had a save at 710 BC, from which I have made this screenshot for comparison:
    710_BC.jpg

We'll see if I can get some kind of later payback from my tight core, or if the early fun with the Conquistadores was all there was.

I was discouraged to see some of my Conquistadores die at the hands of Barbarian Warriors on plain ground. Deity is tough.

Nata, ignas and Knightfall like this.
  3. Captain_Jack

Captain_Jack Warlord Supporter

That was my intention when I created this map. I played it multiple times and was able to survive at the Emperor level with heavy use of the Conquistador.
    (Even knowing everything about the map and cheating liberally I was never able to survive at Deity.)

Knightfall likes this.
  4. Più Freddo

Spoiler Limit: Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

5. Nata

Nata Warlord

Last time we saw Isabella was in 150BC after she crossed the dangerous Ocean to reach an island occupied by the unknown people called Ottomans.
    With the help of Ottomans and other new friends Isabella was able to trade her hapless nation into Middle Ages and get Feudalism.

At this point, a Horse magically appeared on the road close to Madrid. "Hmm, what's this?" wondered Isabella. Wasn't there a new cool unit available for Spain after reaching HBR? Wouldn't it come handy to ward off the mighty Babylon attacking Spain's borders?

A couple of Swords were upgraded to MIs and all the towns with barracks were switched to producing Conquistadors. New knowledge from overseas allowed Spain to recruit Zulu and Aztecs against Babylon. France have already fallen by that time.

Babylon was beat back, border towns recaptured and the first Conquistadors were unleashed on the enemies. The Golden Age of Glory has began for Spain! And it was glorious indeed.

Age of Conquest

Conquistadors were AWESOME! Not only could they go 6 paces on any ground, they could do the same INTO ENEMY TERRITORY! It was like ROP rape galore. Isabella was kicking herself for forgetting about such an amazing unit.

Babylon was pushed under the peninsula and greatly reduced. They captured some towns from the Zulus leaving Zulu weak and eager for friendship. Zulu became Tech partners for Spain which was sloowwwly going through lower branch of research, staying in Monarchy and spending Golden Age building Conqs, Barracks and Temples in newly captured towns.

Spain made peace with Babs for Invention and Chivalry, after capturing Gem town. Few turns later Aztecs attacked Spain, and this time Babs were recruited against them.

Aztecs had Great Library, and with Spain falling behind even despite Golden Age, Isabella's next goal was to capture Great Library. Spain built some Knights to upgrade for Cavs in future but mostly was producing Conqs like no tomorrow.

The long war with Aztecs ensued with Spain chipping off Aztecs border towns and grabbing Bab's towns fallen to Aztecs. By the time Spain closed on Aztecs central core Conqs were faced not just by Muskets but also by Riflemen.

Yes, progress left Spain far behind. Spain was still in Monarchy - Isabella tried switching to Republic after finally getting it in trades in ADs, but was crushed by army support and realized she needed Marketplaces and Aqueducts everywhere before even thinking about such a progressive Government. Thanks for being religious, it cost her only 2 turns to switch there and back...

Meanwhile Zulu were reduced to two towns in Spain's territory and as they became useless for trade Spain put them out of their misery. Maybe it was too soon - but we'd see.

Conquistadors were Isabella's only hope to catch up with the rest of the world, and the entire nation was put on training them. The plan was to gather about 60 of them in order to attack Aztec's capital. So it was done, the Stack of Doom was assembled in Lugo and the attack began in 860AD. gotm_spain_184_860AD_army.jpg

The plan was to capture Tamuin from Lugo, and then Tenochtitlan with GL from Tamuin.
    The plan went great, the casualties weren't as high as Isabella feared and both cities were captured with ~25 Conqs to spare.

gotm_spain_184_860AD.jpg

The new age of Spain has begun in 890AD!

Age of Industry

Isabella learned a lot from Great Library, but not as much as she hoped. Other Civs spent a lot of time on useless knowledge, and so Isabella learned all the knowledge from Middle Ages, Nationalism, Steam Power, Medicine, Communism, Hospitals, Industrialization. Only Russia knew Electricity and Isabella decided to start on that too.

The next turn after getting all that knowledge Tenochtitlan revolted and took a lot of Spain's troops with them.
    gotm_spain_184_910AD.jpg

It was a bummer, but Isabella wasn't too upset. Conquest and Domination looked extremely unlikely with Russia and Ottomans closing on Infantry.
    Rather than fight the whole world, Isabella decided to play nice and to make the world love her.

But the road ahead was long and difficult. The nation which knew only war would have to beat their swords into plowshares and develop industry, research and finances. And so Spain got to work.

Remembering the lesson of premature Republic, Spain built Marketplaces and Aqueducts and used its sizable slave force to finally develop all the lands. No Great Leader ever emerged since that first one in the Ancient Age, and no Forbidden Palace was ever built: there was no time.

After growing cities and getting more money Spain finally became Republic in about 1000AD and started on Libraries and Unis. Isabella tried to be nice to everyone now but the whole world hated her and refused to trade for turns, and she didn't know why. She never broke any treaties - maybe Lux routes interrupted by never-ending war were to blame.

Meanwhile, Russia built Theory of Evolution and leaped ahead, while Aztecs destroyed Babylon with Spain being too slow to realize that Babylon could be a vote and to give them shelter. Destroying Zulus looked a bad move too, in hindsight.

Russia and Ottomans grew stronger and destroyed Greece with Isabella watching helplessly. Another missed opportunity for a friendly vote... But Isabella persevered and kept building and researching. Aztecs were backward too and Spain used that to trade with them.

Barcelona had Coal mine and Factory plus Coal Plant was built in it to prepare for UN construction. Isabella decided to not build a Hospital to limit pollution - a risky move, but we'd see.

Finally, Modern Age was reached in 1455AD, with Russia and Ottomans reaching it a bit earlier. With Ottomans starting on SETI Isabella guessed that they got Computers. No Fission, whew!
    When Isabella could finally meet Russia in the Modern Age she saw that Russia had Ecology. Spain still had a chance, Fission research has began and Barcelona switched its prebuild to Palace.
    gotm_spain_184_1455AD.jpg

The end was close in every sense.
    Spain kept building and researching while Russia and Ottomans when for Rocketry and for Space program. What a stroke of luck!

But the world still hated Isabella... She gifted everyone with luxuries and cash, and then another stroke of luck helped her along - Ottomans, the strongest Civ, started a war with Vikings. Isabella allied everyone against Ottomans, did Right of Passage agreements and after UN was finally built in Barcelona in 1540AD, she held her breath as everyone voted...

And everyone but Ottomans voted for Spain! Sweet, sweet victory!

Whew! It was the worst play on Deity which still ended in victory, and I'm very proud of it. :) Conquistadors werre awesome and made it possible. Thank you for the great set up!

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
    Captain_Jack and Knightfall like this.
  6. Green Bear

Green Bear Chieftain

After the Spanish reached the Middle Ages in 350 BC they began to throw out the enemy units out of their territory. But they didn't want to go and there were a lot of wars:

First the Babylonians declared war and the Spanish got an alliance with the Aztecs. The babylonian unit in their territory was killed by a spansh conquistador and the people celebrated that and the spanish golden age began.

But the aztec units should also go out of the territory. Montezuma refused and declared war, too. That was the same year as the Babylonians declared war.

In 170 BC the Spanish got an alliance with Zululand versus the Babylonians. But there were zulu units in the spanish territory, too. Zululand refuses to go away and declared war. France was the last Civilization in peace with the Spanish and Isabella could persuade Jean D'Arc to make a female fight ageinst the male opponents on the continent. That ended in 50 AD as Jean made a peace treaty with Montezuma.

In 90 AD Isabella thought that her territory was big enough and she offered Shaka and Hammurabi a paece treaty. They accepted and were lucky with that.

In 290 AD the Spanish revolted and wanted a Republic. So Isabella was kind to her people and accepted that.

In 430 AD the Babylonians attacked a spanish unit. The following war and the alliance with Zululand ended in 630 AD. This was also the date to start the second zulu war. 10 years later there was a contact to another continent and the war with the Aztecs ended. In 690 AD Zululand was destroyed by the Babylonians.

The third Babylonian war started in 950 AD and the Spanish had an alliance with Aztecs and French versus them. In this war Darwin lived in Madrid and had an idea: The Theory of Evolution! 1170 AD the thrid Babylonian war was over.

In 1200 AD the Spanish declared war on the French and destroyed them in 1295 AD. Same procedure was with the Aztecs. The war began in 1300 AD and ended in 1330 AD. Babylon destroyed them in 1340 AD.

The last other civ on the continent, the Babylonians, were attacked in 1410 AD and destroyed in 1450 AD.

In 1425 AD the United Nations were built in the Greek city of Sparta. This was the point to declare war on the Greeks in 1485 AD. Sparta was destroyed five years later. In 1515 AD Isabella made a peace treaty with the Greeks.

The last war the Spanish fought was versus the Scandinavians, which ended in 1545 AD.

Now the Spanish had the control of about 60 % of the world and wanted to go to the stars. Isabella made the Space race victory possible in 1680 AD.

Captain_Jack and Knightfall like this.