[PTW] GOTM 184 Spain Deity -- Discussion and Spoilers

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
GOTM 184 Isabella, Despot of España

¡UPDATED!

Conquistador.jpg

Last edited:
In this installment of the Game of the Month series you rule over the Spanish, a Seafaring and Religious people, and you begin the game with Alphabet and Ceremonial Burial. The map is standard size, the difficulty level is Deity, and the native barbarians are restless. There are several wrinkles to the standard rules of which you should be aware:

Terrain: Mountains may be settled. Spain is the second most mountainous country in Europe and your people have learned to build substantial settlements on the slopes of mountains as well as hills.

Unique Units: Two unique units are available, both adapted to your environment.

Conquistador:

The Spanish used gigantic Mastiffs and speedy Greyhounds to accompany their mounted conquistadors as frontline shock troops. These were trained to distinguish Spaniards from natives and charged into battle to disembowel and devour the enemy. These war dogs terrified the native American tribes, and now they are at your disposal.

Your conquistadors differ from the standard version in two ways. Their movement has been downgraded to two from three so the dogs can keep pace, but they still treat all terrain as road making their effective movement six tiles each turn. They are also available now at Horseback Riding instead of Astronomy. You will find them useful in the early years patrolling the land and subjugating the native barbarian population. Perhaps you will someday use them against your more civilized neighbors as you shout Tómalos! and let slip the dogs of war.

Caravela de Armada:

These useful ships combine a potent offensive punch with threatening transport capacity. They are slowed a bit by the artillery on their decks but are quite seaworhty and can be amassed as a powerful Armada if desired. They cost the same as a regular Caravel and have the same transport capacity of three units, but their offense has been upgraded from 1 to 3 and their movement downgraded from 3 to 2. They require Iron and Saltpeter to build, and become available at Astronomy. They do not upgrade.

This game was created by Captain_Jack.

Starting Position

GOTM_184ScreenShot.jpg

Scope of the Game

Normal-Size Map
Restless Barbarians

Time Plan

The game is released on October 1, 2021. (Or a bit later.)
Submissions are due by December 31, 2021.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

Spoiler Limit: Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

(This limit will be changed as the game progresses.)

Last edited:
Seriously, Jack -- what is the purpose of giving us a Warrior which will arm a 10-turn time-bomb Goody Hut right there?

Edited: This comment was to the wrong game. The game has now been updated.

Last edited:
That's not a warrior, it's a shoeless armed scout who will leave that hut alone as he trudges into the north lands. If the visible goody hut pops AI warriors, death awaits them in my castle. Meanwhile my two workers will have improved tiles to the west, and my city can get on with expansion plans.

Please Note:

The previous game information was faulty. There was a misunderstanding between Captain_Jack and me. The description above is for the game we're playing. Sorry for the inconvenience!

Good point, and I don't know! I don't think I changed anything about saltpeter directly in the game editor, and I do know that I played the game several times well past the age of the conquistador with no problems availing myself of the special unit.

Don't have a working CIV III since my last Windows 7 quit working. Contacted 2K Support (Twice) without much progress. Seems the support person handling my request doesn't even know that Firaxis Games is one of their subsidiaries - The suggestion I got was to contact ATARI Support! My next step will be to write a letter to Firaxis Games, with copies to 2K Corporate, and to a certain charter member of the Firaxis team (Sid M.). Perhaps he will exercise some clout to get the STEAM CIV III Complete to be at least that - COMPLETE.

But my STEAM Conquests runs quick as a desert road runner.

Craziest (and sloppiest) game I ever played but it was a LOT of fun! I should write it down now or I may forget everything by the proper spoiler time.

But here goes my start until the 8th city settler is about to pop up.
Settled in place, started Pottery, built 3 warriors and then switched prebuild to Granary and got Settler 4-turner going by about 2800BC. 2 warriors guarded the city, 3rd one went to explore, popped 3 angry Barbs nearby, survived by a miracle but then was killed by other Barbs soon after.

That was the theme of my early days. Barbs absolutely wrecked my progress, I managed to guard the Settler factory and that's about it. Outer cities built Warriors to stave off Barbs who would still come and raid and steal my gold.
After Pottery I started on Writing which had to be for 40 turns, but I thought that I'd least get cash for trading when I meet other Civs. But my exploration Warriors kept getting killed and my gold was stolen at regular rate.

Eventually I was met by Zulus who already had MM, Phil and CoL, bought the remainder of Writing and traded for all possible contacts and territory maps. But being short on cash and behind on Tech I could only trade for BW. I started Lit hoping to catch up and trade it to at least some of the Civs.
By this time I was at my wits end because of Barbs and forgot that I could get Conquistadors with HBR instead of Astronomy. In hindsight, should have switched to that line of Tech instead of Lit.

So here the year is 1375BC, I have 7 towns, 1 turn to a Setller, 2 workers (2 were killed by Barbs), 10 warriors. Have Alpha, CB, Writing, Pottery, BW, 7 turns to Lit.
1 granary and that's about it. I blackened the rest of the map with other Civs in case those spoilers are not allowed yet?

Attachments

• gotm_spain_184_1375BC.jpg
    gotm_spain_184_1375BC.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 69
Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

Middle Ages

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching the Middle Ages. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

4000 BC
Found Madrid in place.

3150 BC
Discover Pottery.

2950 BC
Madrid builds a granary.

2590 BC
Found Barcelona.
Goody hut gives a warrior.

2190 BC
Meet Zululand.

2150 BC
Found Seville.

2110 BC
Meet Aztecs.
Learn Warrior Code.

1990 BC
Meet France.

1870 BC
Found Toledo.
Learn The Wheel.
Learn Horseback Riding.

1790 BC
Meet Babylon.
Found Santiago.

1600 BC
Found Salamanca.

1575 BC
Discover Writing (after 40 turns of research).
Learn Bronze Working.
Learn Mysticism.
Learn Masonry.

1525 BC
Found Murcia.

1375 BC
Found Valencia.
Forbidden Palace is available.

1225 BC
Found Zaragoza.

1175 BC
Found Pamplona.

1125 BC
Discover Literature.
Learn Map Making.
Learn Mathematics.

1025 BC
Found Vitoria.

1000 BC
Found Santander.

800 BC
Discover Polytheism.
Learn Code of Laws.
Learn Philosophy.
Found Jaen.
Found Logrono.

670 BC
Found Valladolid.

650 BC
Found Palma.

630 BC
Found Cordoba.

590 BC
Found Teruel.

550 BC
Found Almeria.

410 BC
Found Leon.

390 BC
Found Zamora.

370 BC
Map:

370bc.jpg

350 BC
Discover Monarchy.
Learn The Republic.
Learn Currency.
Learn Construction.
Learn Feudalism.

Settled in place. Decided on RCP at 4 and 8. Met my continent fellows pretty quickly. Barbs weren't a big problem - most were taking care of by wandering AI units.

Research was at full speed learning Pottery->Writing->Philosophy->CoL->Republic. Republic was researched in 730 BC which netted me other missing techs (Currency, Construction) to enter the Middle Ages. Was able to trade Republic for Feudalism too.

Noticed that Anarchy is not that bad on Deity - you lose only one turn of production when switching from one gov to the other, don't even lose any culture. This might come handy later if I find time to finish this one. The map looks quite suitable for a 100K culture.

Plan is to find other AIs, conquer my continent, expand to domination limit and build culture.

Attachments

• GOTM184 710 BC.jpg
    GOTM184 710 BC.jpg
    336.4 KB · Views: 60
I reached Middle Ages at 150BC - the slowest time ever for me!

I reached it after my 3rd Galley finally crossed over and met the rest of the Civs. I was able to trade World Map and contacts to catch up to Middle Ages and get Feudalism as well.
I researched Monarchy and was a Monarchy by that time, and still couldn't get Republic.

How did I manage to stay alive on Deity while being so behind everyone? Here's my tale..
As I mentioned before, that was the craziest game I ever played.

I was plagued by Barbs who would steal my gold, but what's worse, they sabotaged my port cities production so I couldn't get a Galley out forever, and Galleys was my only ticket out of poverty and stagnation.

I researched Lit before some other Civs (Aztecs and Zulu I think) and was able to trade it for MM at about 1200BC. I switched port cities production to Galleys but the earliest Galley I was able to get out to sea was at ~250BC. Curse those Barbs!

I also traded Lit for IW and Mysticism with a view to get Poly and Monarchy as a fastest route out of Despotism. As you can see on the attached 270BC screenshot, I didn't even have Wheel at that point which in hindsight, was a strategic mistake. I went for IW as I had lots of Warriors sitting around and wanted to upgrade them. But I forgot about Conquistadors with HBR!

So, at 270BC I had about 4 Swords and some warriors sitting around, still being plagued by Barbs especially after Middle Ages came for all other Civs but me and I was SWAMPED with wave after wave of new Barbs while still having mostly Warriors.

I had one elite Warrior guarding a border town when I spotted a stack of Babylon archers and spearmen near that town, "This is the end", thought. "The game was a miserable wreck anyway, so I'll just play to see how fast I'll be destroyed".

But then my Elite Warrior survived the assault of 4 Bab Archers and generated a Great Leader! And I had 3 Swords close enough so they could join him and form an Army! And I decided to fight to the end and see how it goes.

Well, the Army helped to ward off Babs long enough for me to build Galleys and cross the sea, and I after I reached parity and got some cash in 150BC I was able to recruit some allies against Babs and beat them back. I lost some border cities to them which I soon recaptured, and even expanded my empire a bit.

Stay tuned for the rest of the story.

Attached is 270BC screenshots afetr the 1st Babylon attack. I accidentally erased 150BC screenshot where I met everyone and got a World Map of everything. Still blackening the full map just in case,

gotm_spain_184_270BC.jpg
gotm_spain_184_270BC_big.jpg

By the way, is Republic unit support is correct in this game? I don't get any free allowance and pay 1 gpt for each unit.

Attachments

• Republic.jpg
    Republic.jpg
    24.2 KB · Views: 50
Top Bottom