1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 184

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Ali Ardavan, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Major Advantage suggested that we use the Nov. game to commemorate Freddie Mercury, the singer of musical band Queen who passed away 25 years ago in Nov. 1991.

Freddie was born Farrokh Bulsara in Zanzibar to Persian parents from the Gujarat region of India. When he was 17, his family migrated to England where he remained for the rest of his life.

We are going to play as Farrokh the Persian on an extremely large map of the world. The rivals are: Russian, Zulu, German, Egyptian, English, and Indians.

Special rules:
    - You can only build one city in the entire game.
    - You must conquer India.
    - Once you conquered India you must conquer Zulu.
    - Once you conquered Zulu you must conquer England at which point the game is over.
    - You may fight other rivals as you wish but you may not take any of their cities. You get to keep any Indian, Zulu, English, and (if you happened to find one) Barbarian cities.
    - You get to keep any cities from advanced tribes.
    - Your first 5 huts may not be advanced tribes. Save before tipping and reload if you get an advanced tribe.

The game will be posted in a day or two.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. Ali Ardavan

Civilization: 1 Persian settlers
    Starting tech: Bronze Working and Ceremonial Burial
    Difficulty: Queen (I mean King)
    Total players: 7
    Restarts: off
    Villages only (-50)

Known map which is a slight modification of the New World map (144x227) by Yagoda of CFC. Some terrain, particularly around player starting areas, were replaced with more hospitable terrain. Zulu's starting position has been moved north to Zanzibar.

As always, known map means you are encouraged to open the starting save in the map editor and refer to it any time you need to.

Special Rules: See the previous post.

Deadline: Jan 10, 2017

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attached Files:

3. grigor

grigor Chieftain

This sounds like total fun!! I hope I will have time to play...

4. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

Is the winner determined by earliest conquest or by normal rules?

5. Ali Ardavan

Normal rules apply for scoring and determining the winner, green star, ...
    The only difference is that when the game ends there are potentially 3 other rivals.

6. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

Quick heads-up: Make sure to Gooogle -where- Zanzibar is on the world map. Pretty significantly important when thinking about that first decision.

Signed,

Someone who ragequit because he forgot to do just that!

Edit: Nvm. Still, pretty key.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
  7. Ali Ardavan

Good point, Jokemaster. However, I do not see why it is such a big deal, given that Zulu are still on the mainland of Africa just further north.

8. grigor

grigor Chieftain

I'm still planning, My reading of the rules is that it is OK to conquer Zulu or English cities before wiping out the Indians, as long as it s not the lastZulu or English city. Is that correct?

9. Ali Ardavan

Yes. The way I have written the rules, that is a correct interpretation.

10. Major Advantage

Major Advantage Chieftain

Thanks for taking up on my suggestion! (Initially, it was just that we were playing as Freddy of the English, on queen level, but Ali insisted on more).
    Actually, he was living in Munich for a couple of years, and spent a lot of time in studios and on stages all over the world, composing/recording and performing some of the greatest music of all times. ;)
    For example, here he the concert in Budapest in 1986:

I hope to be starting this game soon, I am still at work doing #182, not much time to play (and civ2 sometimes does not feel like playing any more ;)).

Last edited: Nov 11, 2016