[PTW] GOTM 185 Scandinavia Regent -- Discussion and Spoilers

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
GOTM 185 Scandinavia
gotm_185_illu.jpg

In this game, you will rule over the Vikings, who are Militaristic and Expansionist and start the game with the knowledge of Warrior Code and Pottery. This is a Regent-level game. The Viking Unique Unit is the Berserk, a stronger Longbowman.

This game was created by green bear.

Starting Position

gotm_185_start.jpg

Scope of the Game

Normal Map
Continents, 70% water, 4 billion years old, temperate
Restless Barbarians
AI Civs: 9 selected Opponents.

Time Plan

The game is released on January 1, 2022.
Submissions are due by March 31, 2022.

PLEASE NOTE THE DATE!

Game Release Page

Game release page

Spoiler Limit

Spoiler Limit: Industrial Times or Game Submitted

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until reaching Industrial Time or having submitted the game. The results of getting and trading bonus technologies at this stage are a permissible topic as well.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

(This limit will be changed as the game progresses.)

Last edited:
Good 20K location, with a farming town set up the river, to use those Wines.
Crowded map on Regent is also good for 20K.
Can't wait till New Year.

My Viking hordes will probably want to settle in place and celebrate the New Year with red wine. Then, after we recover, set sail to explore and pillage.
I too would like to try for a 20k victory, but every time I consider it with my first city circumstances force me to reconsider. I generally run into my first issue when I am a few turns away from an early-ish wonder and lose a pile of shields for nothing because I have no Palace pre-build.

Maybe it would be better to build the first city one time NW, then the true 20k city one tile SE? Any thoughts?

I tried replaying some 20K games with 1st vs. 2nd 20K city and got similar results.
But if you are doing 20K in a 2nd city the 1st one better be a 4-turner. On the other hand, here we can have a 2-turn worker factory if we settle in place, to feed 20K city. So it could be doable but the initial spot is just perfect for 20K, and Colossus should be a certainty and won't give premature Golden Age.

Got my PtW working, so going to take a shot. Never focused on a 20k before. What are the general principles to follow?

20k: Build improvements in one city in order of culture per turn per shield. Use other city to produce Workers to improve land and join city for fast population growth to size 12 while producing shields.

Thanks to Green Bear for creating this game. I wonder if he was benevolent enough to have iron and coal in the nearby hills and if they will be close enough to allow an Iron Works in the capitol? Time will tell.

Looks inviitng for 20 K and MGL farming (if we're not alone on an island).

In the previous GOTM there was an old Republic unit support rule - each unit costs 1 gpt, doesn't matter the amount of towns under your control. Will it be fixed this time to match the COTM logic (as it was in the previous GOTM games)?

I haven't built an Iron Works for so long I forget they existed. It would be fun to have one handy.

In the previous GOTM there was an old Republic unit support rule - each unit costs 1 gpt, doesn't matter the amount of towns under your control. Will it be fixed this time to match the COTM logic (as it was in the previous GOTM games)?

It depends on whether green bear use the correct template for game design.

Wondering about founding in place, kicking out a settler ASAP, founding a better-placed capitol and building another settler to abandon and then resettle a 20k city. Might put me too far behind the curve for a fast win (I was never going to be the fastest regardless) but would give potential for a better core.

Spoiler Limit: Forbidden Palace Available or Size 12

Spoilers are allowed covering the game up until being allowed to build the Forbidden Palace or reaching the size 12, in one of your cities, whichever occurs earlier.

No spoiler information from after fulfilling the spoiler requirement is allowed!

OK, I'll go first. I followed Nata's suggestion and played 20k in the capital. Size 12 was reached in 550 BC. This is my cultural progress until that point:

year|building|rank|culture|turns
3950 BC|Palace|15|656|11
2710 BC|Temple|6|1202|20
1625 BC|The Colossus|2|1581|27
1450 BC|Library|4|1533|26
775 BC|The Great Library|1|2718|46
650 BC|Colosseum|10|874|15

Last edited:
Top Bottom