[PTW] GOTM 189 Mongols Regent

Più Freddo

From space, earth is blue
GOTM CLXXXIX Mongols Regent
queen.png

A Mongolian Regent?

Last edited:
In this game, you will rule as Temujin over the Mongols, who are Expansionist and Militaristic and start the game with the knowledge of Pottery and Warrior Code. This is a Regent-level game. The Mongol Unique Unit is the Keshik horse archer, a lighter Knight.

This game was created by Più Freddo.

Rule Changes
  • The Palace is called Khibitkha
  • The Granary is called Yurt
  • The Mongols can build Mongol Scouts, which, just as the Mongolian Keshiks, treat Mountains as Plains. The first normal Scout does not have this ability!
  • Mongolians eat horses, so in this game Horses add one Food to its base tile
  • Instead of Wheat, there is Oats for the Horses. Oats has less Food than Wheat.
Starting Position

gotm_189_start.jpg

Scope of the Game

• Large Map
  • 60% Ocean, Pangaea, Arid, Cool, 3 Billion Years
  • Raging Barbarians
  • 11 selected opponents

Time Plan

• The game is released on January 1, 2023
  • Submissions are due by March 31, 2023

Game Release Page

Spoilers are free. Please use your judgement!

@The_J @Blake00

Last edited by a moderator:
Great starting position, 2 food bonuses and a river. Can choose whether to irrigate or mine depending on if you need qrowth (settlers) or shields (units, buildings). I am going to play the conquest game as England first but will definitely plan to play this game later!

Thanks for the game Più Freddo. I suppose the initial starting location will do very well for creating settlers. I hope I remember to settle my cities in the ring placement pattern.
I was toying with the idea of trying for a 20k win. The terrain seems unsuitable, but perhaps on the edges there will be a good location.

Great starting position, 2 food bonuses and a river. Can choose whether to irrigate or mine depending on if you need qrowth (settlers) or shields (units, buildings). I am going to play the conquest game as England first but will definitely plan to play this game later!
Remember that Oats are just 1 fpt.

Looks like gotm.civfanatics.net site is down and I can't download the game. :( Is it possible to attach it here in the thread or load it to Google drive etc?

Last edited:
Spoiler Mongolia AAR :

After Action Report: GOTM_189
Mongols @ Regent

First off I’d like to thank Più Freddo for making this game and map. It was interesting and challenging. In the later years I spent more time than I ever have previously moving combat units into position and warring with my neighbors. I suppose Mongolia forces that approach.

4,000 B.C.
I settled in place. My initial hope was to go for a 20k city but it quickly became obvious that would be impossible. I needed to expand à la Gengis Khan. My scout is sent on the Hut Hunt.

3500 B.C. INDIA. Trade Ceremonial Burial for Pottery.
2710 B.C. Pop Bronze Working after many empty huts. Many excellent pops follow!
2630 B.C. INDIA. Alphabet for The Wheel & Warrior Code.
2270 B.C. CARTHAGE. Masonry for Mysticism.
1675 B.C. AZTECS. Demand I.W., but don’t declare war.
1650 B.C. EGYPT. They are behind in tech.
1600 B.C. Japan demands and declares. Tokyo destroyed in 950 B.C.
1375 B.C. CHINA. They have nothing to offer.
530 B.C. Monarchy established.
410 B.C. Pop Currency.
350 B.C. Pop Republic!

Code Red: I need Saltpeter and it is in Japanese territory. I declare and invade. No, Wait! That was Babylonian territory!! They both look red to me. OUCH>
Now I need to declare war on Babylon also and I am battling on two fronts. I recruit China and Egypt as allies with soft trades and our forces are very quickly victorious.

1265 A.D. I become a Democracy. I know Republic is more popular, but I like Democracy, I don’t war enough to have it be an issue, and I never went into civil unrest the whole game.

1310 A.D. Aztecs declare but they are weak and I take a few cities before offering peace.

1500 A.D. I conquer Babylon and acquire The Pyramids, The Oracle, Sistine Chapel, and Bach’s Cathedral. My people’s happiness is now settled. I use a leader to build Smith’s Trading Company, Oil is on Babylon’s land — nice!— and I am first to Theory of Evolution.

1700 A.D. China declares again, but by now I am very strong. Two turns after their declaration I get Computers and upgrade all my infantry to Mechanized Infantry. I still attack mostly with my Tanks and Cavalry, but I learned this game that mechanized infantry are very strong on the attack also. Previously I would almost never attack with regular infantry or mechanized infantry.

Purple Haze: India is my ally. Korea declares on me, but is far away. Eventually I notice a bunch of outdated purplish colored troops on my land that I disregard thinking they are Indians marching off to war. Then I notice my units taking shots as they pass and realize they are the Koreans. Fortunately they were not a real danger and could be easily picked off.

United Nations: I use a Leader to make the U.N. but I cannot have a vote. Only Gandhi and Hannibal would vote for me. Everyone else is always annoyed or furious. I never allow a vote the rest of the game. Eventually I realize I don’t even need to worry about my reputation anymore, and that is liberating in a way.
Hannibal's Death.jpg

The Final War: I attack Korea and Carthage. Hannibal was a good ally and deserved better. I send my 97 modern armor units into action, and take enough territory in two turns to win a domination victory.

This is my first domination victory and it was hard work. I thought the troop management at the end was very tedious and it was easy to misplace units. It is a happier life not being at war all the time, and I hope to try my hand at a 20k victory next if the game allows.

Thanks again Più Freddo for making the game and map. I enjoyed the single continent and never once built a ship. I also enjoyed the opportunity to make the Iron Works, but I never exploited it to the full.

One of the most fun game I played, thank you!

Looks like we can post the game progress any time we want, just under a spoiler?
In that case allow me to share Mongols' glorious 20K win, the earliest one I've had.

Spoiler Entire game till 20K win :

4000BC: Settled in place. Karakorum builds scout, warrior, scout, settler, Yurt, then settlers/workers.

1st Settler builds Ta-Tu SE which will start 3-sq ring. It'll be 20K city! It has 3 Cows and Wheat, what more do we need.
The plan is to amass mighty army and get lots of GLs as we are Militaristic, productivity won't be that important.

Scouts pop lots of Techs from huts! AIs are useless but huts are great! We even get Lit and and Monarchy from huts, hurray! So can build Library after Oracle. Research is set to min so we get lots of cash.

630BC: reached MA, we are Monarchy.
Hand-built Temple, Oracle, Library. Bought Colosseum. Building HG, 5 turns left.
Later this turn we will gift Korea, Germany and Babs, trade for Feudalism, Mono, Engineering and will upgrade Swords to MIs. Just in time for huge Barbarian hordes to reach us and to give our troops a chance to become Elite.

150BC: We get our 1st Great Leader Ogodei in war with Japan!

Since last update: finished HG, bought Cathedral, building GLib, 3 turns left.
Will spend Ogodei on Sun Tzu after finishing GLib as nothing else is availble.
We have 13 horses and 13 MI, most of them elite.
Researching Theology at min speed as we are still in Monarchy.

10BC: Germany got Chivalry! Traded, upgraded to Keshiks, attacked Egypt while still demolishing Japan, entered Golden Age! Building FP as no other wonders available.
Still no Republic in sight.

250AD: Built 1st Army. Still in GA, finished FP in 50AD, used GL to build Sistine Chapel in 70AD, researched Edu and built+bought Uni in 230AD, building Kibitka as nothing else available. Time for Heroic Epic! Meanwhile AIs finally got Republic, waiting till end of GA to switch.

440AD: destroyed Japan, used GLs to build Bach, Heroic Epic and Copernicus. GA is over, revolting to Republic.

720AD: out of things to build, so made peace with everyone. Used GLs to build Leonardo after AIs finally got Invention, and then Newton University. Researching PP to get to Shakespear.

930AD: Industrial Age, here we come! Got Steam Power and Medicine after trading with AIs. Meanwhile Korea managed to get Economics, so used GL to build Smith while researching towards Free Artistry. Shakespear in 1 turn after switching from Kibitka prebuild. Was at war with China and Aztecs to get another GL who's now sitting in Ta-Tu twiddling his thumbs until we get Industrialization. Made peace again.

1200AD: long peace broken by Korea who attacked us over the mountains. We have so many Elites but nothing to build while another GL twiddles his thumbs in Ta-Tu. Steel in 3 turns. Sigh. Use Veteran Cavs to beat off waves of Archers and MIs to promote them to Elites.

Reached Modern Age somewhere in the 1400s. Decided not to trade AIs up to avoid annoyance of Bombers and Fighters flying everywhere. The game is basically done already. Research Computers, buy Research Lab, use GL to build SETI, go to war while researching Internet, use GL to build it, rinse and repeat until out of things to build.

1630AD - 20K achieved and we win!!!

Last edited:
I replayed the game just for fun, trying for earliest 20K using map knowledge. Finished at 1515AD! Never built a factory or a hospital.

Now it's my time to ask...
Can we get another week, please?
Especially the large map took longer to play, and now before the Easter vacation, there is much to do in RL, that I can't finish the games...

Top Bottom