1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 194

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Ali Ardavan, Sep 9, 2017.

1. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Civilization: 1 American settler
    Starting tech: none
    Difficulty: King
    Total players: 6
    Restarts: on
    Restless tribes (-0)
    50x80 game-generated map

Deadline: Nov 14, 2017

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach them directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file). No extra save is needed.

Please send the saved games only to civ2gotm@gmail.com.

Have fun.

Attached Files:

2. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Map Analysis

Resource seed is 44. Starting location is 2-specials. 2 tiles W is 4-specials.

3. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

Hmm. There`s no obvious play to make here... On one hand, 1 settler dictates size1 trick. On the other hand, we have lots of rivers, encouraging conventional exploration.
    (Speaking of which, I still don`t know what`s the program for locating huts based on seed. Don`t remember 100% if it`s allowed in GOTMs but my 51% says it is.)

Size1 also requires good shield output. We have a single forest, which ain`t record-breaking. Do we risk moving west to get better specials? Or is it too risky?

Also need to take into account road networks pre-BB when building early cities.

4. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

Make a 50x80 map in editor,set RS 44,'paint' a little the ocean to find a hut,introduce coordinates of hut in HutFinder and that's it:).

5. Jokemaster

Jokemaster Insert something here

I don`t seem to be able to?!? I am unable to actually select the numbered box to change the seed from 1, or able to change it from what the program first started as. I suspect that it`s because the Civ2Map.exe is not patched with Mastermind`s Civ2 64bit patch... doesn`t crash for me still, but unable to change anything. I'll try to apply it, and i`ll be right back.

EDIT: I tried, and got
    Searching for patch location
    ERROR : Cannot open file "C:\MPS\Civ2 - Copy (AI patch enabled)\Civ2Map.exe". The process cannot access the file because it is being used by another process

What do?

EDIT2: Ok. Apparently, the process for patching Civ2Map.exe is different from patching Civ2.exe. For Civ2.exe, you have to have Civ2 open (but only past the 1st dialogue box) for the patch to work. However, for Civ2Map, you cannot have the executable open: you need to have it closed. I used the Mastermind patcher on Civ2Map, then opened it later and was able to change the seed to 44.

Since it is a changed EXE, it made my Avast interfere: but only for a few seconds (then it confirmed a false positive and reopened the editor). It`s all working as intended now.

Thanks for the help Catalin!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2017
  6. catalin72

catalin72 Chieftain

Welcome.Yes,for me is simple,I have Win 7 32bit,I can open editor of 2.42 when game is in progress in 2.42 or MGE.