GOTM #2 Suggestions

Thunderfall

Administrator
Administrator
What game parameters do you think we should use for GOTM #2? We'll have a new GOTM in just 4 days. :)

My suggestions:

Civ: Greeks (this is lay out in the schedule table)
Map: Large
Land Form: Pagaea
Level: Prince
# of Civs: 10

Sounds cool to me. ;) A large map should be doable within a month, I think. (Unlike a huge map.)

I am kinda leary of the UN victory.

It might be a problem, but we should keep it in this one just to see what happens. I dont think there were many UN victorys in the first game. It was just too quick.

what are the enviroment setting? I would go for Cool, Dry and 4 billion years.

And naturally Rageing Barbarians!!:viking:

A Pagaea large map with 10 civ ! :cry:
We will have to fight since the beginning of the game in order to expand properly !

LeSphinx

It may scream for early victory, but I think 10 civs on a large map will slow things down. As will not having a civilization geared towards early conquest.

My only sugestion is a map that doesn't lend itself to the early conquest.

A thought on Barbarians: Raging may favor the Greeks a bit because of the hoplite. Though I've never seen an AI ever affected by barbarians.

Ah well, I'm up for anything. Keep up the good work Matrix and all involved.

Your (Thunderfalls) suggestion is fine by me.

Anyhow, my favorite settings are:

Map: Large
Land Form: Archipelago (the one with most water)
Level: Regent/Monarch
Climate: Wet/Temperate/4 Billion
Civs: 10

I'm getting exite to start the GOTM 2.

Thatever you will choose it will be Ok.

The only thing that should be done is that each month the kind of the game change in order to play various way and win differently;

LeSphinx

Ehh, I'm afraid not. New submission guidelines will be included and Thunderfall needs to take care of that too.

Matrix, TF has already updated the guidelines, when i submitted my GotM 1 game the guidelines asked to include nickname, final score, year of victory, and method of victory.

Maybe banning conquest victories before say 1800AD would be a good idea, otherwise it is just too lop sided in the scoring, and really gaining a good score and playing in the spirit of the game are in direct conflict.

Originally posted by pravda
Maybe banning conquest victories before say 1800AD would be a good idea, otherwise it is just too lop sided in the scoring, and really gaining a good score and playing in the spirit of the game are in direct conflict.

Well, this 1st GOTM was on a map that made early conquest easy, that can be easily remedied by just changing the settings for the game. No need to limit any of the victory conditions at this point IMHO.

I agree - banning conquest victories at this point would just be silly. Trying to draw a future trend for scoring based on one datapoint which, for many of us, was even the very first game of civ3 we played, would just be silly.

I think by adding restrictions, it makes the game more challenging, and forces people to adjust their style of play based on the new conditions. That's not a bad thing, is it? :confused:

yes there will be different conditions I'm sure.We've done it in civ2 gotm.
But we all need to get a better feel for things still before we start uping the challenges.

How about asking for a description of strategy written by the player with each game submission (optional)? And then you can archive these blurbs with each game so we can get into the heads of the players. Maybe click a link on the results page to get to each blurb.

Just a thought. :) I'm not doing it so it's more work for Matrix. Easy to suggest more work for Matrix... :lol:

Top Bottom