1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 27

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

You are Henry VIII of the English
    Normal Size Flat Map
    6 Civs, no Restarts, Raging Hordes

Small Land Mass on a Archipeligo map using Normal, Temperate, and 4 billion years settings.

Emperor Level
    Two Settlers
    Start with:
    Alphabet
    Bronze Working
    Pottery

Games are Due May 4th.
    E-mail the required saves to DoM@civfanatics.net

2. Duke of Marlbrough

Since the upload server is having issues, here is the starting position:

Attached Files:

3. dogma

dogma Chieftain

Does this mean the map does not form the usual cylinder ? What happens when I reach the edge, do I fall off and disappear ? Or does the `ice-cap' extent from north to south pole ?

4. Duke of Marlbrough

Flat map means there is no North or South Pole and you cannot wrap around the sides of the map.

5. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Wow - haven't played flat in a LONG time... no, I dont think you fall off the edge...

Nice start, with two visible specials and a Hut; wonder if HutFinder works with a Flat Map...

If the map is Normal, why are there only 6 civs?

LaFayette: Early Landing game?

6. Smash

Smash Super Lurker Retired Moderator

That starting spot looks like it may be a key "Panama or Suez canal"

7. dogma

dogma Chieftain

I did the obvious and looked into a different `flat map´ game. It seems that there are no scary monsters in the deep seas nor cannibals on remote islands. It´s rather that we are well protected from whoever is out there :eek:

8. Ace

Ace Chieftain

A flat map!!! I have not played on that kind of map since the last time I played Empire and that was in the last Millenium!!!!

This could be fun.:D

9. la fayette

la fayette Chieftain

No, sir, I chose flat conquest :)

10. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

You're probably right; I'm focusing on the other EL game.

11. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Dogma, your comment about the first hut (in the Spoiler thread) is well taken, and this has been discussed before in earlier months.

How about starting a game after the moderator opens the first hut, and gives everyone the same Archer or Horse? Someday, it may be worthwhile. A more equal challenge.

12. anarchywrksbest

anarchywrksbest Chieftain

But what about the next hut? And the one after that? There are so many random events in the game in shouldn't make a difference :p

13. dogma

dogma Chieftain

It was just funny that I had thought before `a unit, gold or a technology: everything helps, except for horseback riding and warrior code'. Still, I actually like the random element. By starting the game with the hut still there we had the alternative to first found a city and only then pop the hut. Since it is so close, would that make a difference in the possible outcome (except for units to not become NONE units) ?

14. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

If you founded TWO cities before popping the hut you have a higher chance of getting a Nomad Settler; if one of your first two is still on the "continent" you cannot get another one. Don't discount HorseBack Riding, either: they make good Barb killers. And Warrior Code gives you a 30-shield unit for RushBuying...

15. dogma

dogma Chieftain

Well, my preferred 30-shield unit are diplomats. For me warrior code usually only becomes important as a first step to bridge building (which is quite high on my list of priorities when there are rivers to cross). On the other hand, I tend to underestimate horseback riding -- and what it leads to!

16. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

I go for Bridge early if I've got rivers near my SSC. My point was that you work with what you've got, try to play to the strengths of what you already have, even if it is WarriorCode. And Horse is a short step to PolyTheism and Elephants...

17. dogma

dogma Chieftain

Indeed, while I hadn't made up my mind before when to research writing (it wasn't on my list to monarchy, trade and navigation, but allows for 30-shield IPRB), I then deferred it until I eventually got it from somebody else. :grad:

18. GaryNemo

GaryNemo Settler from None

Writing is IMPORTANT. Monarchy is first, many people choose Bronze, so Writing is the #3 or #2 goal. Why? A Library in the SSC, but even better:

Because Diplomats require no support, they move quickly, and every one of them carries the entire treasury in their pocket -- available for exploit. Dips provide good Barb defense, even with a modest starting treasury of $42 or $84. A Trireme without a Dip Captain is a shame.

19. dogma

dogma Chieftain

My default research order is still 1.alphabet, 2.writing (a left-over from Civ1 where I never form monarchy). Since alphabet and bronze were starting techs I wanted to experiment with early trade routes. But the diplomat is IMHO the most powerful unit of the whole game (until spionage, that is).

20. raiderbob

raiderbob liberal diplomat

:undecide: