1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 32 Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Old n Slow, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I can't believe that I'm the first to post -- also can't quite believe what I've done to my self. I goofed around searching for too long & founded Berlin in 3550BC. :( Popped a hut for Masonry, so I left another hut alone for a while.

Founded Leipzig in 2150 -- going really slow & Hamburg in 1850. Discovered Monarchy in 850BC & revolted immeadiately. Had to kill my first barbarian visitor (Archer with Leader) when they approached the cappital & I had no serious defenders (a warrior, settler, dip & horse in the area.) :(

Am now at 1AD with 7 cities, 10 techs, the Hanging Gardens & not much else. Time to set this aside (finish GOTM 31 :) ) & let this develop into a better picture. :king:

2. alexxx

alexxx Chieftain

Well, thanks to ElephantU for the explanations concerning the Celebration, and I think I have all the conditions fullfilled, but my stubborn, dull and lazy citizens won't celebrate.
    I'm not at my Game-PC now, but in the evening I will check if I have done right.
    Well, beside this, I had a good time from 1020BC to 1280BC, delivering my caravans, with some bribery and a bit of good luck I was taking the sioux city, which has the Lighthouse in it, started to build some settlers, tried to keep the carthaginians peaceful, by paying them money, built Leonardos Workshop and Michelangelos Chapel, and thougt I'm doing good, lit another cigarette and didn't recognize that one ridiculous sioux chariot,
    was approaching one of my new built cities on the starting island.
    It hit my poor warriors badly, wiping my city out of history!!!!
    I can't believe that. Why are they doing this? Have I done them something wrong? (Besides taking one or two cities absoluteley peaceful with bribery, ok, and crushing one or two catapults earlier on.) No, I didn't. And those goddammed Sioux are destroying my city. Aaarrgh! Now, I'm out for revenge....
    And in the end we will see ...

3. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Ah, winter finally.

AD 1890

I was sooo nervous in the beginning because this is my first serious attempt at a Emperor-game. I put all my effort in preventing riots, and the result... The citizens haven't revolted, but boy am behind in everything. I think I have like under 10 cities, and have not even left the starting continent. But considering it's my first Emperor-game, I'm quite pleased. This has showed me many things I should have done differently. So live and learn. My only mission now is to try and reach AC before the AI. It's a long shot, but I'm not giving up! Lots of freight units should do it:wallbash:

4. geofelt

geofelt Warlord

I landed a spaceship in 1861. I engineered my starting island and built a reasonable super science city in Berlin. The island was very defensible, and I was never attacked, which surprised me. My only close call was with some early barbarian landings. I had not researched horseback riding which is my usual defense against raging hordes.

5. SideshowBob

I never thought I'd make it, but I actually managed to land (a poor) spaceship on AC in AD 2020:D. I never had problems with riots so I guess I have to learn to balance the science and luxury rates a little better. But it was a lot of fun, even though I realize it will take a lot of practice for me to get comfortable with the emperor-level.

6. alexxx

alexxx Chieftain

...oh, man! I'm still playing but its a real tough game this time.
    Those f...... carthaginians, they won't stop molesting me.
    But now I'm preparing a blast (onto their main island), actually it seems to be the only way to stop their warfare. Besides, it is a big riddle for me, how the AI can manage to stay in democracy with tens and tens of units strawling around. And another questions. Are the german units weaker then other? I lost battles you wont believe. A fortified marine in a fort, attacked by a cavalry, did not even hit once on the horses. How can this be.
    At least I researched mobile warfare as the first one, and maybe I gained enough momentum now, to leave my competitors behind.
    Anyway, its real interesting gamesetup for me, and at last I wont to give a special greet to Jayne, cause she was right, with the celebrating problem. So it was not the citizens that were stubborn and dull, it was the emperor itself.

7. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I finished mine game yesterday. I got a much higher score than usual. I'm guessing this is because I finished with a spaceship, tens of thousands of gold and only one enemy city left (which I spared to finish with a spaceship). I also had a spotless reputation :D I had a different approach to bribing cities this time and I tried to mainly pay the extra to subvert them - so I didn't lose any happiness improvements, didn't lose reputation, didn't have the senate interfering and didn't get millions of partisans! :D

8. SideshowBob

9. mr. Y

mr. Y Warlord

Well, I survived. That's about it. Had 5 cities left when the Zulu's landed in 2019.
    I tried a different strategy this time, one I never tried before. I will not make that mistake again... but at least this time it was a challenge. Thanks DoM!

10. SideshowBob

It's interesting to realize how different games people can play even though everybody starts with the same settings.
    I for instance never had any trouble with my neihgbours, I never got in "war" with them. All I did was declare war on someone when AI civilizations promised a lot of money (I was always among the poorest) to do that, and then I made peace the next turn. All my fighting was concentrated to the barbarians:lol:

11. Ace

Ace Emperor

Is this game on the Emperor or King level?? I just tried to change gov to democracy using the Oedo years for Emperor and I got a couple of turns of anarchy before the change occured on the year listed in the King table!!! The target year was AD 1764 and the switch did not occur until 1768.

12. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Size of the map matters too. A Large Emperor game uses the King Oedo list. A small King game uses the Emperor list. Wierd.

13. Ace

Ace Emperor

Learn something everyday. :o

14. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

15. la fayette

la fayette King

I played this one with MGE (no helper programs, no black clicking, as usual).
    Wonders built:
    Marco = where are they?
    LH + Magellan = required for early conquest on a bigger archipelago map.
    Gw = no problems with counter attacks.
    HG = no problems with happiness (I stayed in Monarchy).

My plan was to conquer before 1000AD, but I didn't take enough care of the small cities hidden in the black on the island south of Little Big Horn (green star despite this ? :crazyeye: ).

16. Chofritz

Chofritz Former Mr. Reloader

La fayette, at least I wont be able to finish before 1000 ad. I'm in 1180 now but I'm going for AC. All civs conquered except for purple (1 city left as a pet). I think lighthouse is a good idea for early conquest on this map and the hanging gardens are always good but I think you can skip Magellan, triremes (can't spell it) whit LH i enough I think. the just cram out a few crusaders and smack, they'll all fall fast, :)

I had a pretty bad start if you compare it to my start in GOTM 31 (that I didn't finish on time) were I 5 advanced tribes in my first 6 huts. That resulted in about 50 cities by 1 ad. This time I think I had 20 and a few more, but on the other hand this map is pretty much a nightmare.

The early game was really slow but now I'm in democracy and all cities are clebrating. I want to land before 1900 ad if that is possible, we'll see.

17. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Two things fouled up my game this month: I did not settle immediately, but moved eastward looking for a better starting position (which just got worse and worse...), and I did a lot of my 1AD-1000AD play during a weekend conference, when I was only paying half attention to detail and progress. I wanted to check out the two 4-special locations east of our start (yes, I use HutFinder and MapEditor to get an idea of what is in the black areas around the start, along with some black-clicking), but found out they were pretty lousy. At that point it was quicker to continue eastward and found on a half-decent 3-special spot than go back to the beginning. With only one settler I should have founded immediately, no matter what the terrain, and pumped out some explorers first. When I got Marco Polo and saw where the other civs were my tentative thoughts about an Early Conquest game went out the window, so I switched to shooting for an Early Landing but am doubtful whether I will beat 1750AD. My SSC couldn't expand beyond size 21 (I'm finishing Explosives right now), but I did get Magellans to help my Triremes and Caravels make the long trek down to the Carthaginians and Romans for better bonus payouts. I still don't have a complete ship chain down there, but once that is in place the trade and techs should start to flow like water. The problem with relying on Lighthouse is that it dies with Magnetism, just when you are getting decent longer-legged ships. It would be enough on a small map, but not on a large map like this one, and having only four other civs makes it even further between them.

I'll post my To1AD log later this week. I'd say aside from the delayed first city I'm not doing so badly with the terrain; my home island looks like one of those pearl necklaces on a stretchy cord, and I've got more than one settler for every city. Once the work is finished the celebrations will commence...

18. la fayette

la fayette King

I used triremes with LH during the earlier part of the conquest, but most civs are really far away from our home island. I was very happy to have 6 moves caravels to sail to Little Big Horn and neighbourhood.

19. Chofritz

Chofritz Former Mr. Reloader

I did the same thing as you did. The starting place was just too bad and I decided to found in a 3 special location (1 gem, 2 whale) taking the huts that were along the way.

I started my research towards monarchy with map making as my "waste tech". After monarch I chose writing and started producing some ships. When research was done I built a few diplomats and sent them with the ships to explore the world. Knowing the hut pattern is a really good thing because then you can check if a location contains a hut. Just black click "the hut square" to see if it's a land square and bingo, send your diplomat there :)

The thing that is good about sending out diplomats on those boats are that the huts on non-settled island have an increased chance of giving you nomads or tribes. And all those new cities are new places to expand from. Barbarian units can usually be bought by the diplomat if a small gold reserve is kept (I usually try to stay over 100 gold in my early game).

My basic strategy in the early game is usually to build new cities all the time. However, in this game that would not work because of the starting island's terrain. I decided that I had to make the best I could of this island and started to develop some "higher quality" cities. I also took time and built wonders, I build some city improvements and I tried to make the best I could of the terrain. At the same time I expanded on the other islands and took out the enemies I met, giving me a really bad reputation. As soon as most ai cities had been captured I entered democracy and the celebrations begun. At this time I build things in my cities in this order:

1.5 caravans (3 trade routes in every city)
    1 settler (later engineer)
    marketplace
    temple (moves down on the list when I get more happiness wonders built)
    harbour
    Aqueduct
    Bank
    Sewer
    Stock

From the discovery of automobile and forward I try to get super highways in every city as soon as possible.

Right now I'm in the 14th century and have 20-25 tech left to research. All of them wont be needed for space flight. I'm starting some freight trading now and have just done my first delivery (payed 900 gold). I'm having 2 turn advances with 30% science (I'm planning on setting it to 0% soon but I need to get the trade income going). My tax is at 30% and that gives me 4000 (-500 expenses) gold/turn.

We'll see where this game ends up. I'll try to reach AC before 1750 and I think that will be possible. I have 80 cities right now and I'm increasing them as fast as I possibly can.

Are those programs available for macintosh?

:eek: I hope that you can understand my english :lol:

20. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

MapEditor comes with Civ2; HutFinder is a downloadable, I do not think anyone has done a Mac version. You can use MapEditor to figure out where the huts are, just by drawing Plains around the starting location, noting the locations of the huts, and black-clicking to see if it is land. Don't tell La fayette, though; he thinks this is blasphemy...