1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 33 Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by la fayette, Oct 6, 2003.

1. la fayette

la fayette King

Frustration :(

I remember having won a game (a long time ago) by conquering the last city of all the other civs on the very same turn.
    But in THIS game the trick doesn't work: I have conquered the 5 last cities (Celt, German, American, Japanese and Sioux) on the same turn in 1x90 and I am now facing 5 new civs of the corresponding colours.
    Has anyone any idea ?:confused:

2. zenon

zenon Chieftain

I am afraid I have to confirm your finding, even if you probably had incredible bad luck, when all 5 restarted. Actually I posted this just a week ago on Apolyton: "It doesn´t help to destroy several AI in the same turn. There may be several respawns in the same turn and it seems the probabilty of respawns is not changed."

I thought you read that thread when you were posting there ;)

Zenon

3. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

I expect you probably got them all respawning because there are so many little islands in this game and I think they will always respawn if there's an island for them to go to!

I'm not having a good game. I got severely hampered in the beginning with all the barbs that invaded. It was almost as bad as I was getting in the D+2 Succession Game!! :lol:

I'm just about keeping up with science, but we're already in the 20th Century and no-one has started Apollo yet. I think I'm mainly playing a survival game now.

4. la fayette

la fayette King

I must have been very sleepy when I read it :(

And I must have been very lucky when the trick worked in my previous game (still it worked also for daveV in the same game IIRC).

Anyway what use is it playing an early conquest game if you cannot win before the AI allows you ?

5. grigor

grigor Prince

I am at 1AD finally with only 12 cities (too many roads!), MPE and HG.

On reading this thread, it seems that the only sporting way to continue my duel with Lafayette is to try to wipe out the AI all on one turn, despite its utter uselessnes. When I am done, we will compare notes.

So far the no city bribing part of the challenge has not come into play

This map is designed to frustrate many normal strategies, and I have had a rough start with half my usual cities at 1AD.

6. zenon

zenon Chieftain

And it worked for me, too, once, with 3 AI left. But testing this it is very clear that respawns happen immediately, not at the end of the turn.

The only strategy I know of to reduce the probability of respawns is founding more cities and thereby covering more space. Available (suitable) terrain (and therefore map size, too) is one major factor for respawn probability. You are more likely to succeed later in the game. Or you wait 175 turns until they stop completely.

7. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Who would have done that? :p

However, I modified the terrain as a map then started the game as normal using that map. I didn't 'place' the Civs (including ours) or anything else. That's just how it came out. Sometimes things just work out. ;)

8. la fayette

la fayette King

:D yes, indeed!

... but I really enjoyed the map (apart from the number of barbs: they will certainly help grigor to beat me :cool: )

9. la fayette

la fayette King

but if I wait that long I am sure grigor is ahead :cry:

10. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Yup a slow start for sure. I'm at 1 AD, have a dozen cities (all too small) and only Colossus as a wonder -- HG, Pyr both built elsewhere. Eight techs. Two of my first three huts were barbs, one with surround-pound. :rolleyes:

11. alexxx

alexxx Chieftain

Oh, I'm really satisfied, that nearly all of you have problems with that map. Cause I have big ones.
    I couldn't start properly...all those barbs, and this awful terrain.
    In the midst game I thought I could maybe stay ahead of the AI,
    but now I think I will only manage to survive.
    This is the hardest one I ever played to an end.
    (...cause in times, long, long ago - before i encountered this forum-, i wouldn't have played this game to an end....).
    Anyway it was a great challenge, and next time i will play more accurate, not so superficial as this time.
    Regards to any of you...

12. Achinz

Achinz Hermit of Huangshan

It seems like GOTM is a private bloodlust club from the postings so far (bar the last one) :crazyeye:

I'm finding GOTM an excellent vehicle for mastering the techniques for early landing games detailed in solo's guide. Some progress up the hill with a landing AC at 1665 AD (197 turns). The rules certainly change one's attitude to "early" landing (I could have landed 1631 but that would have taken 10 more turns).

Have been able to implement a mini-shipchain, maximise caravan trade payoffs from the complex calculation of the variables, exploit oedo's 3-techgroup exclusion principle to minimise detours from the essential research path.

The persistence of wildcard demand commodities like silk, silver and coal in the American continent helped greatly.

Major failing is not getting MPE which accounted for the slow tech rate in the first half.

The AI civs seemed particularly civil even when contacted late in the game. All they asked for were reasonable techs for peace even when I had 4-figure gold in the treasury. Did DoM specify "civlized" for these civs :) but only towards the human player? They were mostly fighting among themselves although the Barbs were a handful.

13. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Well, I survived! I decided I had a small chance at a spaceship (but little chance of conquest) so I went for it. The Celts launched in the same turn as me, due to land in the same year. As I was gathering up an invasion force to take out Cardiff, the Americans launched to arrive 2 years earlier, and the Germans sneak attacked me with a nuke and took out the majority of my invasion force :cry: Better luck next month!

14. Mr. Do

Mr. Do Emperor

Haha, nice ending. I stopped playing when I discovered the Celts and how far ahead from me they were :o

15. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

I played a few more turns (after sending away #32). I'm at 220 AD & just picked up MPE -- The Sioux just finished Sun Tsu.

Hmmm, I have 11 techs -- same as the WORST AI (Top is 17 so far). Not a single White tech!. Guess I'll just have to make friends & do some trading.

And of course the barbs have landed (again.)

16. addiv

addiv Hero of our time

This is going to be a difficult game for me too. I'm at 1 AD, have 12 cities, and only just started building my first Wonder :( Damn barbs were invading all the time, so I didn't have the peace and quiet to start Wonders earlier.
    It seems to be going a little better now than earlier, when my power actually went down for a couple of turns! I'm just trying to cover the whole starting continent with cities now, to prevent any more barbs from invading (how I hate barbs!).
    Hopefully I can get all the important Wonders (though Pyramids has been built somewhere else already)...

17. GenShwartzCough

GenShwartzCough General of the Newbies

This is GOTM33........

This is me getting wiped out by endless and relentless Barb invasions in GOTM33........

ANY QUESTIONS !! :mad: :cry:

I never made it to 1 AD. Ummm....I never made it to 1000 BC

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

18. DasMan

DasMan Chieftain

Okay, I thought I'd better give the GOTM a shot at last. I've been meaning to have a go for the last few months but have never seemed to get round to it - and I thought I was bad enough managing cities in civ...

On to GOTM33...this seems to have been a reasonably good one for me for the first one. As I always tend to be too cautious early on I don't seem to have had the problems with the barbs as the rest of you (but am probably years behind already too!). Popped the first hut and got a NOMAD :D settled London asap and then looked for semi-decent spot for the SSC. Found one that isn't great but will probably have to do given that it will be my first real attempt at trying to adopt such a strategy at this level.

...spawned a few more cities, encountered many barbs without too many problems, and built Col in York. Really need to try to expand now and find some company that isn't red...:scan:

19. KingWilly

KingWilly Melbournite

Welcome to the GOTM DasMan. It sounds like you might have chosen to start on a tough GOTM. I hope you go well. Haven't started yet, but hopefully the barbs are nice to me...please...:lol:

20. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Ah, winter finally.

Oh, it was horrible:cry:
    Yet it's always so nice to play. - Thanks DoM!

At best I had three cities. I gave up very fast. I couldn't deal with those barbs so all I had was London after AD480. I thought I could try and make it to AC but it was impossible. I didn't have the Colossus or Copernicus so my sientific situation stunk. The only reason I came so close to launching my SS was that I bought a new (older) version of Civ II with extremely more generous AIs than in my older version of the game:D

Since are games have to be submitted and DoM goes through them we could get a new award. Something like "the pink star" for the most hopeless but persistent submission of the month:lol:

I would never had even tried to finish this game if it hadn't been a GOTM:)