1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 38 Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by N0mad, Feb 29, 2004.

1. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Im playing this one, i found myself with 6 cities on an island... you guys?

2. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Hang the Spoiler!
    Wait a tick.

3. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Moderator Action: Now, now. We don't want to give specific information that may spoil the game for others.

4. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

built 2 wonders and 1 city improvment won in 440a.d.

5. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

How do you win so fast?

6. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

every game is different. in this one i built sun szu first got chivalry built nothing but horses and diplomats. set tax at eighty per cent for bribe money.take a coastal city then bring in boat disband for 20 shields use on a pikeman. then build diplomat and bribe city next door, now you have toe hold in their land.when you get a civ down to one or two citys gift them knowledge one after another until they trade maps. then break treaty and go kill them. you will also need to build lighthouse good luck peace

7. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

set at eighty tax is for commy in this one was monarch so tax was 70 per cent . extra know how at this point not needed have military advantage so money to bribe and buld units fast is more use

8. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Well... I wasnt going for conquest!

9. SideshowBob

SideshowBob Ah, winter finally.

I started slow. Was kind of weary and didn't kno what to do. I've started to expect too much from myself, and that really disturbs my games. I know more than I can handle, so now I have to get back to the "play just for fun". I started with a ICS and allied the Greeks. The evil Greeks didn't give me a single gift, though they were worshipful, I wonder how much your rep affects this??? Then I had some really bad luck with some wonders. I didn't get SZ and I didn't get a couple of others I hoped for. I'm now in the 1500s and have three big civs left. I hope to finnish this game in the 1700s which would be my fastest finnish (I know I'm slow;)) but I'm not sure yet if I'll manage. But it's nice for a change to try and learn conquer-tactics instead of pushing the science-race.

10. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Im a peaceful Nomad.... I WANT PEACE AI PEACE!!!!!!

11. SideshowBob

But it's a bloodlust game. You can't win any other way then by conquest, or the game ends at retirement;) But yes, I yearn for peace too, I'm not very good at war.

12. la fayette

la fayette King

Very enjoyable to play without any happiness problem once in a while!
    It was the opportunity for me to build a wonder that I had not built for ages, namely the Pyramids :) .
    I also built LH, mostly in order to enjoy secure triremes (many foreign triremes actually went to the bottom:crazyeye: )
    I played no city bribe, no black-clicking, no helper programs (as usual :p ) and managed to destroy the last Mongol city quite a while before the fall of Rome.

13. N0mad

N0mad Chieftain

Crappy i forgot about blood-lust, DISBAND THE CARAVANS, BEGIN THE CRUSADE, MAN THE TRIREMES!

14. raven15

raven15 Chieftain

Looks like this is my first GOTM. I actually played GOTM 37, but disqualified myself because I did some heavy map-looking (in cheat mode) before I read the rules. It was actually my first world conquest game ever, so I can't say it was blindingly fast, finished in 1620. It would have been faster, but the Spanish waltzed into unprotected Thermopoly and took gunpowder just as I started my conquests, then gave it to all their friends. My attempts at crusaders vs. musketeers were not wildly succesful...

There seemed no need for lighthouse with the Greeks and Spanish so close, so I skipped it and went for Magellan's.
    Bloodlust is fun, we should do these more often.

15. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

You could have done heavy maplooking legally just by getting marco polo's :).

16. Jayne

Jayne Emperor

Finished last night.

I was a bit daunted by it being Bloodlust to being with but I forgot it was Prince level!! So it was easier than I anticipated.

Those opponents are usually tough, but this time they bearly expanded, hardly did any research and built few Wonders. So I had dragoons attacking men with pointy sticks, and many Wonders were left unbuilt - including Oracle and GL!!!

I decided blow my reputation in favour of a sneak attack on the Greeks early on (they'd already sneak attacked me numerous times so my representative government was happy :lol: ). Then kept my nose clean for the rest of the game, refusing to talk to diplomats in order to maintain war. This is one of the few times I've built Eiffel in order to restore my rep a bit, and managed to drag it up to dishonourable by the time I finished in the 15th Century.

It was an early finish for my, and could have been sooner had I not managed to totally miss a Celtic town. (I thought I'd explored thouroughly and assumed they'd escape to another island! :( ).

So, thanks for the game Duke - and I look forward to the next Bloodlust!! :D

17. SideshowBob

I had that same problem. I had saved my game and was ready to walze into Cardiff making an end to the CVeltic civilization and what happened? The game didn't end!!! So it took me two more turns to get that last city.

But I managed my goal, finnished in the 18th century. And I realized I could have been so much faster (compared to myself i.e.:D) but as I didn't get some of the wonders I wanted in the beginning it took some extra planning.

Furthermore I'm impressed at how poor the dips are. You send them in, and in and in and when they've distroyed everuthing there is to distroy, then they consider destroying the city walls. And as I have never conquered the world before howitzers I was amazed at how effective city walls are. Well, live and learn.

Thanks for the great game DoM!

18. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

This game seemed like a breeze compared the slow moving gotm 37 ,hehe. I found a superb super city site that I dropped down as my first settler (fourth city, 2 of the huts produced tribes), and I was generating 888 bulbs at 140 ad :). Kind of pointless in a bloodlust game, but rushing to armor was fun and conquest should be foregone from this point.

19. Joe_Chompa

Joe_Chompa Chieftain

i got 50 gold out of each of the first two huts and bought a settler immediately. Finished in 1320. 31 million population.

20. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

My first two huts were a chariot and 50 gold, and I bought a settler with 50 gold to complete before i grew to size 2 (also just before getting first tribe), so it didn't cost me population hehe.