1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 39

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Mar 31, 2004.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

The game settings:
    Shaka of the Zulus
    Emperor Level
    Large Map
    Small Land Mass
    All other map settings random
    7 total Civs
    Restless Tribes
    No Restarts

Starting Techs:
    Bronze Working
    Ceremonial Burial

Saved Game

Games will be due on May 8th.

2. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

IIRC, having Bronze as a free tech may allow a straight shot for Monarchy (CB or Code would be "Joker Techs") -- wonder if that will affect the choice to pop a hut?

3. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

With both Bronze and CerBur you can do Alp and CoL but the third choice is off-path to Mon (Cur:Map:Mas:Mys:pot:War:Wri). Sorry...

No Restarts presents the option of another Early Conquest, although greater unhappiness issues.

OCC Report: doesn't look good...

4. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

So pop the hut & hope for a tech? -- Sounds like a win-win-win solution to me!

5. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Or wait to get Alph before popping... opens up lots more options...

Interesting: you can get Monarchy on 4th and Trade on 5th round, or Rep on 6th and Trade on 7th.

With Marco Polo available we should have a few Early Conquests before AD1, even on a Large map. Keeping your Rep up will be a bigger challenge...

6. la fayette

la fayette Chieftain

I doubt that.
    I have a few cities left to conquer and 1AD was a long time ago.

(of course I play no bribe, no black-clicking and no helpers, as usual, but still... my bet is that there won't be that many games won before 1000AD: the map is big, the island is tiny and there is only one settler to start with)

7. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

I was vacillating on which way to play this one, but you have thrown down the gauntlet: AD1 it is, Rep be damned!

8. la fayette

la fayette Chieftain

I just spent almost 2 centuries finding the last 2 Egyptian cities :D

Black-clickers allowed to :lol:

9. raven15

raven15 Chieftain

Couple things-
    First, glad to see La Fayette doesn't do black cligking either (takes too much time for me) or use helper programs (which I don't have and consider cheating anyhow).

Small land mass is how I played civ2 for the first few years so it'll be a trip back to my old strategies (but on a much higher skill levels of course). Except that I want to conquer the world again, it was fun.

Finally, what the heck does IIRC mean? Everyone always uses it, but I can't see any reason for it in the sentence and after reading dozens of usages still can't figure out what it means.

10. se7en

se7en Chieftain

IIRC - if i recall correctly

11. handyandy

handyandy Chieftain

nice first post se7en

welcome

12. mangor420

mangor420 Chieftain

elephant if you win by 1 a.d. you are the best ever it bis 1 a. d. and i have only took two citys

13. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

I decided to take this challenge as well, but as others have already stated, I would be shocked and amazed if anyone could pull that off. Maybe Smash (or... who else could do really early conquest? Was it Cactus Pete?) could make a run at it, but I doubt it.

14. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

In order to get 1ad conquest you would need quite a bit of luck, since at this difficulty the computers are actually pretty well to do during conquest times (1000 bc - 1ad). I think it could theoretically be possible, but not practically without cheating.