1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM 40 Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Old n Slow, May 11, 2004.

1. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

What no spolier thread yet? I waited until I submitted GOTM 39, and waited until I played 40 up through a few wonders and still...no thread that I could see.

Maybe I need new glasses.

In any case, I popped the hut & was rewared with Myst -- and I realized the blunder -- with the free tech of BW, THERE IS NO OFF TECH before Monarchy! -- So I held off on the next two huts & got to monarchy a dozen techs late. :(

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

You didn't read my "help the newbies" post in the GOTM40 thread? Tsk, tsk. BTW, I think you meant to say "& got to monarchy a dozen TURNS late".

I was waiting for a Spoiler too. Glad you started one. I popped the first two huts on my way to see the 4 Special spot and got a Chariot and an Archer. When I saw the spot I thought "that looks like a good Challenge for One City". But then I got greedy and popped the third hut - HORSEBACK. So I punted and went for Early Republic, with a Celebrating Despotism as soon as the city reached size 3. Sigh. And the first off-island hut turned out to be two barb horse, who promptly killed off my Dip. Double Sigh...

I'm at AD1 right now with my city size 8, racing two civs to Astronomy/Copernicus while hoping one of two others discovers Construction soon. No Trade Routes yet, but the first ship with two caravans is only a couple turns away from the Carths.

Something wierd turned up when I got all the maps from Marco Polo - looked like the Zulus had crossed most of continent #1 in a beeline to try to take out the Indians. Funny thing was they marched right past the Chinese without knowing they were there, then lost their assault on the capital and retreated. At least that's what I make of the map evidence. Reminds me of what I saw in GOTM23 between the Franch and the Zulus (with the Zulus on the receiving end that time).

3. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Yes, you're right -- in only FEELS like a dozen techs.

I'm at 400BC +/- & just finished MPE to go with HG & Col. I want to wait a day or so & then & get back in with fresh eyes to do the great trading round -- but might wait for the techs as they mostly seem to be later ones (HBR, WC, Wheel, IW...). Construction is out there as well as Masonry (for Math and Astro) but nothing else seems urgent at this time.

I decided not to go with an OCC (partly due to the nice first site and hope for a nice second site) so we'll see how this goes.

I want maps & it is time (or perhaps past time) to ship out boats laden with goods.

4. Ace

Ace Emperor

I just had a strange experience! The Persians and I are going for Sun Tzu's. They were building it in two cities, than I got the message that they had almost completed it and a second message that they had abandoned it! I, immediately, checked their cities via F3 and they really had changed both of their cities to non-wonder production. Has anyone else had an AI abandon a wonder when it was almost completed?

5. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

I am finding this game similar to gotm 35 - insane hut fest. I used a very early diplomat to island hop around and pop huts, being sure to go onto a hut with 1 move left so I could buy off the barb horsemen for even more hut poppers. Its proving extremely profitable - I've popped mostly money huts and technology huts and I am nearly up to the railroad at 1 ad with a super city started on the original rome start spot, size 22. I am thinking fast landing on this all the way.

Early trading with the french seems to be the way to go - its possible to reach them without the lighthouse and they have reasonable terrain so their cities aren't too bad size wise. Silk and hides seem to be the big buck traders.

6. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

It has happened to me a few times -- I think that it might be more likely on lower levels of the game -- maybe as a handicap, maybe that it takes longer to make things and the (potentially random) decision to switch may come into play.

7. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Perhaps they were being attacked: there are several AI civs on continent #1...

EDIT: you say they are the Persians; I think the Chinese start as the Cyan civ, so they are restarts. I've noticed stranger behavior from restarts...

8. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Chieftain

What is the best way to have civ's exchange maps? I've gotten MP Embassy built and now that I have contact I still find it hard to convice them even after exchanging and giving away techs.

9. geofelt

geofelt Warlord

To exchange maps, you both need to have map making. In addition, the civ needs to be at least enthusiastic towards you. Enough gifts will make them enthused.

10. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

If you have Marco Polo or UN, and your Reputation is still Spotless, they will exchange maps with you if they are still Cordial. Otherwise, they should exchange at Enthusiastic, but some will hold out for Worshipful. Giving them things makes them happier, especially if you give them the first of the two tech options. If you are playing MGE rather than Classic it is harder to keep an attitude up - wait a few techs and try giving them several at the same time. Do not be suprised if their attitude drops back down the next turn - one of the difficulties of MGE is much more sensitive AI attitudes. They also seem to sneak attack you more often, but you might consider that a blessing rather than a curse if you want Senate approval for "peace-keeping operations".

11. la fayette

la fayette King

With a name such as Caesar for the leader, the goal cannot be anything else than CONQUEST :rotfl:
    Our island is rather tiny, but there is well enough room for 9 cities, which is well enough for building the strong navy which is obviously going to be required.
    Big mistake #1: I am about to switch to Monarchy in 2700BC when the telephone rings. Back to the game, I forget. This means switching 4 turns later = aaaaargh !
    Nevertheless I build Marco and the LH, send a few triremes over the ocean with copper and silk onboard, in order to build my war treasury, and start churning out vet crusaders and vet triremes (about 20 of each by 1 AD).

Meanwhile, I have been able to verify that restarts are ON (thank you DoM!). This will lead to about 2 centuries chasing the new cities (after having built the HG, Sun Tzu and Magellan).

Total conquest exactly in x00 (hope this means greenstar :D )

(Game played without helper programs and black-clicking + no bribe, as usual)

12. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

He's back! And back in style! :D

13. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

My last two GOTMs were Conquest; I've had my fill for a while. OCC is a bit of a challenge this time around, partly because I was playing "fast and loose" at the beginning and did not take enough time for "strategic review" breaks to consider options. I used the second settler to try to improve some land - I think now that I should have merged him with the city once it reached size 2 and go to an early Celebrating Despotism. I was shooting for Early Republic anyway; once I was in that I could have gotten to size 7 fairly quickly and pumped out a couple Settlers to do the work twice as fast.

The nice thing now is that I've got two unblocked commodities and a ship-chain of bribed NONE ships to the Spanish mainland. With off-round food caravans turned into WonderBreads I'm going to try to pump some caravan deliveries. I have not had this opportunity so early before in an OCC game.

14. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

went conquest won in 410 a.d.

15. golem

golem Warlord

I have decided for spaceship, the sooner the better. This game is not for me funny rest but hard work - I have about 50 cities and take care of it is not easy. It is really time consuming. I did not have any war so far, accept of babs. My spaceship will be ready sometime X00AD, and then I start to fight.

16. la fayette

la fayette King

Well done, mangor

17. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

thank you Lafayette coming from someone of your skill that means alot. peace to all you love

18. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

I learned something fascinating (to me anyway) while playing this GOTM. Though this may not work on all versions, on my version you can double harvest the right side of the starting continent, if you have one or more cities on the far right most 3 squares. I am assuming this is where the map loops to the otherside, and no checks were coded that would prevent a city to the right of the edge and a city to the left of the edge from harnessing the same squares. I didn't notice this until a good chunk of my way into the game, but its definitely useful for maximizing the output of the starting island.

19. ElephantU

ElephantU Deity

Yes, that's the "Dateline Trick". A city on one side working a tile does not "block" a city on the other side from working the same tile. It is rare because the map generator tries to put only ocean from top to bottom along the dateline. The dateline also messes up the GoTo calculator and trade route calculations.

What's really nice is when there are a couple "special" tiles right on the line that two cities can share. This usually happens only on custom edited maps.

20. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

So if the wrap around affects trade routes, that makes trading with the french the most lucrative possible all other factors aside?