1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 41

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Jun 2, 2004.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Map Size: 40 x 250
    Land Mass: Small
    Land Form: Varied
    Climate: Wet
    Temperature: Cool
    Difficulty Level: King
    Level of Competition: 5 Civilizations
    Barbarian Activity: Raging Hordes
    Game Rules: Restarts Off, Flat Map
    Your Tribe: Chinese
    City Style: Far East Pavilion

Starting Techs are:
    None

Review the Rules for the GOTM

Download the GOTM

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Interesting setup. I thought you had mistyped the map dimensions till I did some black-clicking. One of the GOTMs in the 20's was a "RingWorld"; this one reminds me of one of those O'Neill cylinders from "Colonies in Space".

OCC Report (from black-clicking): The starting position is one tile west from a 3Special location; unfortunately it is landlocked, and then there are the forests. The 4Special spot to the southeast is Ocean, but the one due east is on land with access to Ocean. There is also one westward that is on a neck of land with Ocean on two sides. Further out is harder to tell as the island seems odd-shaped with a few smaller ones nearby.

Because we only have the one hut to work from we cannot tell the Special pattern until we find at least one visible Special. There are two possible Resource Seeds that fit the visible starting setup, #'s 2 and 34. #2 puts us in a band of all-Whales, which would be very nice as they give good high-trade terrain (Silk, Wine, Spice, Furs). #34 is half Whales, half Fish on opposite corners. If the Forest continues northeastward there should be either a Silk or a Pheasant just beyond that which is visible.

In either case, both 4Specials have two specials on land and two at sea. If the Resource Seed is 34, eastward has one Whale and one Fish and one of each type on land; westward has two Whale and two Fish-type on land. Higher trade specials on land are better, since you can Road them to get an extra trade arrow and then SuperHighways will give 50% more trade.

On such a large map it is unlikely we have neighbors on our island, but our island is not small so there is a possibility. Before planting your first city the chance of getting a mercenary unit is 60%, gold and tech are both 20%. Settling quickly is a priority when you only have one Settler.

3. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

ElephantU, your analysis of the map is amazing. I have to get my map editor up and see how much of this I can follow.

4. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Start with a blank map of the proper dimensions, find the position of the starting Settler and draw the visible terrain around it. Then jiggle the Resource Seed until you see the correct Hut and (lack of) Specials. The rest is black-clicking to see if there is land or water.

5. ferenginar

ferenginar Grand Nagus

Very impressive, but I don't have enough patience, I simply start playing the game.

6. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

Its not really necessary to do as much work as elephant does, you can usually just figure out the terrain immediately surrounding you and still have a huge edge! Trieme pathing is greatly helped by black clicking too.

7. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

I do it because I'm looking for opportunities to play One City Challenge. Large numbers of cities are hard for me to finish in one month...

8. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

I will make a post on multicity tasking soon, it might be helpful - I play mass city games alot.

9. Ali Ardavan

ElephantU, I did spend time on my map editor last night and verified all that you said. Very thorough analysis indeed. However,
    My understanding is that if x=32+y, a map with resource seed x and a map with resource seed y have the exact same locations of specials and huts. The only difference is the type (fish vs. whale) of the specials. Thus, no matter how many more huts you could see, you could not discern between 2 and 34 unless you could see some actual specials.

10. mangor420

mangor420 Chieftain

used LaFayettes elephant attack plan. won conquest in 380.a.d.

11. Ali Ardavan

Wow! So soon. (By the way, shouldn't this be in the spoiler thread as opposed to here?)

12. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

In thinking over a plan for #41, it occured to my that I should have mentioned this earlier: Since there are only 5 civs in this game, should your Power Rating correspond at any time to one of the two missing civs, you will be forced to research at the highest beaker cost for the current tech. This may crimp some players who are going for Early Landing or One City Challenge, especially if the Purple or White civs are one of the missing ones. You have been warned...

I'm currently thinking about trying a One City Challenge - Conquest game. Anyone else willing to give it a try?

13. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Re: my previous post about O'Neill cylinders:

Here is a small shot of what the outside would look like:

And the inside:

Here is a link to a site with better shots and links to the "Colonies in Space" working groups:
    http://www.l5news.org/oneillcylinder.htm

The "Stanford Torus" was probably a better design, but we are still far away from any of that stuff.

14. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

What would the rules of a one city conquest game be exactly? You only build 1 city yourself, but are free to use any cities you take over?

15. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

Build one, take none (may raze) accept none (must "restart" if a hut gives an advanced tribe.)

16. A+ombomb

A+ombomb Actuary

So we are supposed to just keep attacking a city until it blows up, never taking it over? So a technique to ensure a computer buys defense would be to give them money?

17. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

Rather than trying to conquer the world, the object is to (sneakily) escape it. Be the first to another Star system.

18. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

The object of One City Conquest is to conquer the world with only one city at ALL times. You cannot take a city, you must conquer by razing AI cities. This setup looked pretty good, aside from the map size: Only 5 civs and Restarts Off. Get ships, dips, maps and Ellies and go stompin. Worst wonder to let the AI have is GreatWall; useful wonder early on is KingRichies. Don't worry about research beyond Monarchy/Trade/Maps/PT, unless you want to run to Navigation for Magellans. Then again, you could wait and research till Cav or Armor and really hit them. Grow the city big enough to support two dozen or so ships and military units, or wait and bribe NONE units for the army from the AI (or Barbs). Lots of interesting variations, and on such a big map they will be magnified.

19. Tanstaafl

Tanstaafl Chieftain

The instructions for the game say "40, 250" but when I run the cursor around the corners I get 1,1---1,249---79,249---79,249. Isn't that an 80x250 map?

20. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

It counts the tiles that way because of the diagonal nature of the grid it uses. It is a 40x250 map though. An 80x250 map would give you coordinates like 159,249.