1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 42

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Jul 2, 2004.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

The game settings
    Small Map
    Land Mass: Normal
    Land Form: Varied
    Climate: Arid
    Temperature: Cool
    Difficulty Level: Emperor
    Level of Competition: 7 Civilizations
    Barbarian Activity: Raging Hordes
    Game Rules: Restarts Off
    Your Tribe: Genghis Khan of the Mongols

Starting Techs
    Bronze Working
    Horseback Riding

Review the Rules for the GOTM

Download the GOTM

2. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

Hmmm two starting warrior type techs; no restarts; SMALL map!

Question: How many spaceships? (Good thing I'm out of town for a week -- no way I'll be the starter for the spoiler -- half the crowd will be done by the time I get back!)

3. Weedhopper

Weedhopper Chieftain

Hi everyone,

This is my first time trying to post a thread here...am I disqualified from submitting GOTM 42 if my old,not very good PC crashes and loses the game?I DLed it and got a few turns into it and then came the death knell "civ2.exe has caused a serious error and must be closed" :-( when I rebooted the PC the game was completely wiped out

4. Duke of Marlbrough

If you had played a significant number of turns to the point where you have substantial knowlegde of the map, then yes, I would say you would have to skip it. If you had only played a few turns, just start over again. And, be sure to save your game every so often. ;)

5. Weedhopper

Weedhopper Chieftain

Thank you,Duke

I suppose I ought to just take a pass on this month's game then...if no one objects,I'll still DL it again and simply not submit it.I had discovered the location of a couple of enemies so I guess it wouldn't be very fair to finish it for any reason other than wanting to.While I have your attention let me thank you for a thoroughly enjoyable site and I truly love playing the GOTM.I hope I have better luck next month :)

6. Duke of Marlbrough

Yes, please do play it and send it to me when you are done. I will exclude it from the results but at least that way you can share your game with everyone else. :)

7. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Suggest you set "AutoSave every turn" under Game Options to ON so you only lose one turns worth of play. As for the PC, sounds like a Windows conflict, which is often due to a driver issue. I had a lot of trouble I later traced to having older versions of the Indeo video drivers. If the trouble is with the game, try wiping the game folder and reinstalling from the disk, then immediately do the update patches. The updated programs are not "buggy" in the Windows-conflict sense, but other issues can often make it seem that way. Older machines are more likely to have flakey hard drive sectors, less recent drivers and less recent patches. And for something as important as Civ, I assume you protect your playing machine with an up-to-date suite of antivirus, firewall and antispyware utilities...

8. Weedhopper

Weedhopper Chieftain

Thank you for the advice,some of it will be taken,some is economically impossible at this time :( I'm starting to think the computer was trying to save my pride doing me like it did...somebody gave the AI their vitamins this month *L* I got it to 940 ad and have not been in 4th place for techs at that point of the game since trying to figure out how to play civ 1 back in the days of super nintendo *places bag over head*

9. neapol1s

neapol1s Chieftain

i was just wondering...

how would you know if somebody reloaded their game? and how could you tell the difference between reloading a game to change results and reloading a game because the computer crashed?

i'm not thinking about cheating, i'm just curious.

10. Duke of Marlbrough

[with German accent]We have ways of making you talk[/accent]

Generally, we wouldn't. But, we also have realistic ideas of how a game can normally be played, thus it is sometimes fairly evident when people are reloading their games for optimal results, or peaking at the map to plan their expansion.

11. neapol1s

neapol1s Chieftain

ok... i have another question.

what version of civ 2 do i need in order to qualify for the GOTM?

12. Duke of Marlbrough

13. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

The start file is Classic/2.42, which loads into any of the higher versions. Note though that once you load it into MGE, FT, TOT or the Mac version it changes the data structures and cannot be loaded back into a version of Classic.

Aside from the technical issues, the Classic version has more "reasonable" AI attitudes. When the developers retuned the game for multiplayer they made the AI more hostile toward the human player. Even gifting them to Worshipful usually lasts only one or two turns, and often they can drop all the way down to Hostile again in one turn.

14. Poseidon Rising

Poseidon Rising Chieftain

I'm new here. I have never played a Game of the Month before but it sounds like fun. I'm glad that Civ 2 is still alive and well with a thriving community. I look forward to getting stuck in to this game. Best of luck to all.

15. DSN

DSN Chieftain

Is it too late to download GOTM 42?
    When will GOTM 43 come out? When I try to download the GOTM, it is last months!

16. Duke of Marlbrough

The game isn't due until August 7th, so you still hav a couple weeks until it needs to be completed. GOTM 43 will come out on the 1st of August.

17. DSN

DSN Chieftain

Oh yeah! Must be the holidays, I got my months mixed up!
    Profuse apoligies!
    Sorry!

18. DSN

DSN Chieftain

When will the scores be compiled for this GOM?