1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 43 Spoiler

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by golem, Aug 4, 2004.

1. golem

golem Warlord

I decided to play normal game - not OCC. I am at 700 BC, with Lighthouse and Marco. It will be a naval game - plenty of islands everywhere. I suppose I will go for the fast spaceship.

The reason why I started this thread is Civil war in England around 1000 BC - English has devided into English and Persians, so I have one more Ai now. Has anybody the same experience?

2. DSN

DSN Chieftain

No.
    I'm at about 1980AD, and how much trouble I've had!
    My war with the British was long and slow, with one city, Warwick (which I conqured) coming under enourmous fire (I lost and re-captured it several times). In fact at about 1900AD I lost several cities and it all went badly until about 1940AD, when I regained them and destroyed the English. In the ensuing hell after 1900 about 5 cities got totally destroyed that had been in the mid-teens. I'm at war with everyone as their all inter-allied, but it's got a bit better since I captured the UN.

Watch out for their navies, they have them too. I built lots of subs to decontaminate at least the waters around my islands and where I was holding operations.

This is one time when Magellan is really useful. Just a hint; the Egyptians got as powerful as me in my game, as they were very technologically advanced, had loads on big cities on fertile grassland and were quite far from your starting place.

Lighthouse isn't necessary (I didn't have it) as there are plenty of islands you can reach without it on a trim. I think I'm going for spaceship if I have the time (I've started building it).

3. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I too have decided to play and have played till -500. No news from the English.

4. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I started with the strategy of a peaceful game hoping to build a handful of closeby well managed cities and the goal of an early space ship victory. My fear was that geography would make this hard to do. This would have been the case if we were next to a large island which hosted other civs. But fortunately, so far (-500) all I have found around me are small uninhabited islands. I have expanded south and southwest and currently occupy 4 islands with 8 cities. I will build more cities if I find more suitable land, but 8 is sufficient for my purposes. So far everything has gone relatively well.

5. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

played it today. conquest game won in 880a.d. including all restarts

6. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Am zooming along -- decided to skip OCC, and have a little over a dozen cities as of 1100AD. Decided to play "my game" where I have no serious conquest activity until Tactics -- only a half dozen techs away.

7. la fayette

la fayette King

I made use of my '3 arrows' strategy in the very early game, in order to switch to Monarchy ASAP. Map Making just after that, of course :) . Then Marco and Lighthouse, and here we go :ar15:
    Conquest in xxo (slightly sooner than m****r :) ) after A LOT of respawning.

8. la fayette

la fayette King

Oops, forgot to mention: no helper programs, no black-clicking, no bribe...
    as usual :D

9. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

good job la fayette what is a 3 arrrow strategy?

10. la fayette

la fayette King

"The 3 arrows strategy" was my first post to Apolyton Strategy Forum, 4 years ago. I explained how to make good use of the fact that a city size one usually provides 2 trade arrows, which means one beaker, but if you take care placing your worker (for example on an ocean square) you can get 3 trade arrows, which means 2 beakers (with taxes set at 40%), hence doubling your research rate in the early game.
    This led to an analysis of the shortest path towards Monarchy.
    Unfortunately the thread seems to have disappeared from Apolyton's archive, but I think ElephantU has it in his private archive.

11. Hexer

Hexer Chieftain

Blubb, I was sure that I allready have an account for some years now here, but i never registred...

Anyway, played it some days ago. After Marco + Lighthouse I also build SunTzu..around 0 AD I think.
    Perhaps finished even sooner than lafayette!? We'll see :D
    The restarting civs wasnt such a big problem...thanks to MP :rolleyes:

12. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

thank you. i do that some times myself but never had name for it. do you go for more production after monarchy? early in game i feel there are so many good things in huts i want to produce men fast. if i am finding a tech in a hut every other turn it is not so important that my science rate is 6 turns instead of 9 turns.against a human player on non wonder techs sometimes i shut down science and build spys , let my opponent study for both of us and steal tech from them.

13. la fayette

la fayette King

14. DSN

DSN Chieftain

What's 'black-clicking?'

I've just finished by conquest in 2018AD!

15. la fayette

la fayette King

If you "click in the black", it provides you with useful information, especially the "continent number".
    This means that you could almost have full knowledge of the map with help of that technique before you send your first scout away.
    I don't wish to discuss whether it is a cheat, but, for me, it's against the spirit of the game and it spoils most of the fun.
    That is why I never use it.

16. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Chieftain

mangor420 it is amazing you finished game at 800AD, but I got power of points finished in 1900AD (near 2500!) :lol:

By the way what is "helper programs, black-clicking, bribe", I never used this ones.

la fayette you are absolutely rihgt. Without spirit there is no game.

17. mangor420

mangor420 Warlord

thanks but i think la fayette said he finished sooner then that

18. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Emperor

Am cruising along, with the cavalry smacking the less enlightened. Took out the Sioux in five turns (only because I loaded up the first set of troops and had to land in mountains.) The Indians have appeared...

Am wondering about taking out the developed nations and allowing the upstarts to act as pets...

19. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Black clicking described above. In its extreme it can not only map out the shape of land masses but it can be used to find the location of cities that are still in the black.

Helper programs - tools that take advantage of lessons learned about the game and automate the use of that knowledge. E.g., the Hutfinder app can take limited information on the location of huts and help identify the location of all huts on the map and there are tools to help predict which techs will be available to choose and which will be hidden based on the pattern.

Bribe - refers to inciting a revolt in a city with a diplomat or spy. (not sure if Lafayette also frowns on bribing units as well)

20. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

I'm giving OCC a try on this one. I've never tried it in a sheild-starved situation like this so it seemed a nice challenge. However, my annual obsession with the NFL and Fantasy Football is taking more and more of my time as the season approaches, so hopefully I can finish the game before the deadline (it's so difficult to balance 2 obsessive hobbies!) Right now I'm in the early AD years and just got up to size 12, but still don't have Colossus, Copernicus or Shakespeare. The next few hundred years should be interesting.