Ceremonial Burial
Code of Laws
Masonry
Pottery

Review the Rules for the GOTM

Download the GOTM

Waouh !!!!
what a tinny island to begin..... :eek:

The tiny island is probably meant to protect Joan of Arc from the evil bishop Cauchon :)
Anyway w'll do our best to help her get a BIGGER kingdom :eek:

Ooh, ooh, ooh! I saw the list of techs and started salivating... then I saw the map! :lol: :lol:

Hmmmm Mono or map?

Looks like fun, a bit of a turn around from 42, where a navy was practically redundent.

Stegyre said:
So, who is doing OCC?

At first I choked, but then I recreated the start on a blank map. Starting at (153,59) with no huts or specials in sight but three tiles covered with grass, there are 6 possible Resource Seeds that could apply. Two of them (3 & 5) have nothing under the grass, two of them (1 & 17) have a hidden special under the home island grass, and two of them (15 & 31) have a hidden special under the grass to the northwest. So while this is not a 3- or 4-Special "sweet spot" for OCC, there MIGHT be something to work with. I've played two OCCs with NO specials, which took me into the 20th century to win but I had more terrain to work with. Here, Seafaring for Harbor and Engineering for KRC seem like they would have to be priorities.

Other considerations: the start is near the south-eastern corner of the map (which is Round, by the way), there are only 5 civs (which Duke promised us once before, as I recall...), Restarts are On, and the starting techs mean Monarchy can be researched as your first choice, with Maps as your second. No clues yet on what the other civs are from F8, which may mean the rest of the map has worse terrain than we start with. And an 80x80 map is between Normal and Large, so the Large Map Size adjustment factor should be in play for caravan deliveries, lowering the payouts 20%.

Um....I noticed at about AD 1240 that the cheat menu toggle was on...is this because of the extra techs being added and whatnot for the purpose of the GOTM or has Civ 2 gone all weird again (things seem to go wrong occasionally...)

It would not be on from the GOTM save. Sometimes the cheat mode stays on from a previous time when it was used. Try starting a new game and see if it is on in that one as well. If it's gone, then try reloading your GOTM game.

If it's still there, then you may have to do a bit more to get it removed.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?postid=3854#post3854

ElephantU, as usual your map analysis is impressive. I would like to add a few more observations.

Land mass is small. Even though Land form is varied, chances are good that the world is made up of midsize islands. The smaller the islands, the less capable is the AI to play well. This game being at the King level makes this observation on the AI even more pronounced.

I too have once played an OCC where I started on a tiny island. I had 3 plains, 1 forest, and the rest were ocean. The only special was a whale. My first attempt failed miserably. My second attempt was better but I still could not land a space ship before time ran out. I succeeded on my third attempt, but the space ship arrived in 2017. All were at the emperor level. The situation in GOTM43 is arguably worse despite the fact that we are at the king level and have 5 starting techs (I did not have any in the aforementioned game because the AI was starting on an identical island). First of all, there are no specials and early in the game that is devastating. Secondly, 2 of the 4 land tiles are disjoint from the starting location. This makes improving them and protecting them very difficult. Thirdly, the world is pretty big and there are only 5 civs. This makes caravan delivery more difficult.

If you still want to try an OCC, Engineering and King Richard should be your topmost priority. The sooner you build it and the longer you milk it, the better your chances of making it.

I have not decided whether to play this GOTM yet because of real time consdierations. Conquest is out of the question for me. I do not play that strategy often and I am not very good at it. This being a large map with restarts on makes it improbable for a quick victory, not that a quick conquest is ever very probable for me! OCC for the aforementioned reasons is likely to end up as a failure. That leaves only once choice: a peaceful game with a handful of closeby well managed cities with the goal of an early space ship victory. I have been looking for a chance to try this strategy; it would be my first time.

Yeah...I tried reloading but for some bizarre reason every single game I load the cheat menu is enabled. However, I retired from the game I was on to see whether the Cheat Mode label would show up in the high scores list and it didn't show it. Fingers crossed the way you fixed the problem works for me :)

UWS said:
Yeah...I tried reloading but for some bizarre reason every single game I load the cheat menu is enabled. However, I retired from the game I was on to see whether the Cheat Mode label would show up in the high scores list and it didn't show it. Fingers crossed the way you fixed the problem works for me :)

I had that same problem a year ago. The cheat mode was activated everytime I loaded a .sav. I turned it off, but next time I loaded, there it was again. It did not show on the score, althrough I was always carefull to turn it off before saving/or ending a turn. The DoM's method fixed it and I have not had that problem again. Never did figure out what caused it.

One City Challenge. You only build one city and must raze any that you conquer. The goal is usually victory via spaceship.

After lurking this site for a year, I've decided it is time to finally jump into it and play a GotM. Wish me luck, downloading the save now :)

I've been playing my very own PC. No not personal computer or police constable or even parish council!

Pirate challenge! A bit like OCC, but you can have upto 10 cities and it's your responsibility to inconvience the ai as much as possible; by killing settlers, sinking shipping, bribing units and pillaging hex improvements. Only rule is that no capturing cities, ever. An 'atrocious' profile is preferable (you are after all a pirate). How do you win? I haven't got that far...

Top Bottom