1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 50

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

For another milestone game the Civ 2 GOTM Staff dedicated a good portion of their time making this months game.

"The year is 1493 and King Montezuma of the Aztecs is troubled. News has reached the capital that powerful strangers were encountered in the islands to the east. They have sticks that smash brave warriors down without touching them, and great ships that carried them across the seas. Rumor is that they are very interested in the yellow metal that is so abundant in the nearby mountains. Should he send a delegation to offer peace and friendly trade, or marshal his meager forces for war? Should he lay aside the empire building and research program he has been pursuing? Could he interest the minor tribes to the north and south to band together against these invaders from across the sea?

Or should he just wait and see what happens?

XtraLarge map
    King difficulty
    Restless tribes
    Seven civs
    Restarts off
    Scenario mode (direct techs)
    Game turns 1 year each
    Game length 1492 to 2000, 509 turns

Because of the game settings, the required saves for this game will be the AD 1600 and AD 1750 saves.

http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload.shtml

2. la fayette

la fayette Chieftain

We shall get those "sticks that smash brave warriors down" and fight hard.

3. la fayette

la fayette Chieftain

This means I am very happy to have a GOTM starting later than 4000bc (just to compell those Grigor/Peaster/ICSers to have a different view :scan: ).

4. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

Wa hoo! "A slew of techs" Hmmmm wonder if we have friends to the north??

Looking forward to this! :cool:

5. grigor

grigor Chieftain

Very exciting! I have enjoyed the games in which ther is approximate map knowledge.

In this game, we seem to be doomed to no happiness wonders other than those we capture. It seems that ICS may not not the most obvious strategy.

I look for M. Lafayette to have a big game this month with his vast scenario experience.

6. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

I am excited, too. I never played a GOTM on an earth map, or with such advanced tech and big cities (ughh). This is a new game, requiring a new paradigm and new solutions. But mainly it is an opportunity to explore the universal power of ICS. ;)

Moderator Action: Spoiler info removed

7. la fayette

la fayette Chieftain

universal power ! he, he !

Moderator Action: Spoiler Info Removed

8. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Chieftain

Applauding !! Great..great idea.....I am gonna enjoy playing this game.
    I have just a couple of points of disagreement.....The Aztecs have cities with .." Universities " , Colliseums and Septic infrastructure..( yes ...when the " Civilized " " English , Fench and Spaniards threw their.......mmmmmmmhhhhhh " leftovers" thru windows...since they did not have the septic knowledge ) the "barbarians " have built incredible more complex cities......I would love to give the Aztecs an advantage in a few things..Granted..they discovered the wheel , but never use it !! Except as a toy....REgardless Duke....GREAT ..GREAT ..IDEA ..Hats off !!!!!!!

9. Duke of Marlbrough

I had nothing to do with creating the game. The GOTM staff took care of creating the entire thing. I know they appreciate your comments as well. :)

10. grigor

grigor Chieftain

So are you going to join us this month, Duke? The last time you played you clobbered the lot of us.

11. Duke of Marlbrough

12. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Although the game announcement does not say so explicitly; it is quite obvious that this is on the map of the earth, as others have assumed as well.

I am quite excited about this. I like playing on known maps. Starting well into the game
    is rare around here and something I am looking forward to.

13. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Chieftain

I Love the challenge ..!!
    The odds are very simple in this case ......Chances to win are zero and none.
    I played a few " rounds " and I had to stop....this is a Perfect Game.....one of those games that you can not waste a turn.....
    I have to reconsider.....its Marco Polo an Issue ..?? Yes ..in this case just a Wonder that will probably goes 50 turns...all the other Civilizations are going nuts ..they knowledge is getting faster and quicker than usual.
    Its the Leonardo workshop worth Building ??? Maybe not.....
    At the speed this is going ..I rather build the Wonders that do not Expire....
    So what is my first goal ???? Build the Marco Polo ..get all the information from the other civilizations .....and try to conquer the Top Civ......
    Then ....how can you get to the Spanish and Ottomas ???
    Ally with the other civilizations ?????
    Conquer the Ottomans ????
    I just want Cairo ( or whatever city has the Pyramids )
    What a Great scenario !!!!!! I have been thinking for a few days... ........but every move has to be perfect.
    If the scenario is based on real cities.....( Geographicly wise )...then Marco Polo is a must.......I started like you all did with a few triremes.......hard to figure.
    THis is gonna be one of the most challenging games I have ever played!!
    To any of you that can finish the game ...by conquest ( That will be hard as beating Mike Tyson ...) or any other means.....HATS OFF!!!!!!

14. PiR8

PiR8 Chieftain

Hey
    I was just browsing the site for a few mods and noticed this scenario comp, excellent idea; I'm surprised I havent seen it (and this site) before.
    Anyway, I have a quick question: I've gotten to the year 1685 and completed the apollo space project to gain full map view; I was expecting bloodlust mode to enable a full conquest but instead now it appears the space race is on...so basically I'm wondering, is the aim of the competition to play beyond a space ship finish until the end year specified? or is that end year designed as a final cutoff point if no other end is met? Perhaps this is explained in some rules I have overlooked, but please entertain me here :)

Thanks,
    PiR8

15. Ali Ardavan

Your latter assumption is the correct one.

16. Ali Ardavan

The map of the world in this game is 91x120 which gives 10,920 tiles. My map editor does not allow the creation of any map larger than 10,000 tiles. How was this map created?

17. la fayette

la fayette Chieftain

Several years ago, my friend Julius Brenzaida designed a patch (named "gigamap" IIRC) allowing much bigger maps (about 40 000 tiles IIRC). I don't know whether it was the patch used for this game.

18. PiR8

PiR8 Chieftain

ah ok thanks for that mate, I'll send in my results now then, looking forward to partaking in more of these - its refreshing to know that I'm not the only one still interested in civ 2 :)