1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 52

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, May 2, 2005.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload.shtml

The game settings
    King difficulty
    Roving Bands
    6 civs, Restarts On (sorry, meant for them to be off :()
    Large map
    No Huts
    Simplified Combat
    Direct Tech

Starting Techs
    - Bronze Working

Games will be due on June 11th.

2. Hexer

Hexer Chieftain

Simplified Combat. Ive never played Simplified Combat...

Restarts off, lets conqer, but large map...uuh. Very interesting settings, veeery interesting...

3. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

No Huts makes it harder to figure out the patterns of special terrain, but evens out the "randomness" factor of benefits and losses from huts. Map drawing may tell us something, but usually requires a hut or a couple more revealed specials to confirm the exact Resource Seed. What is more interesting here is getting two Settlers in a King level game. One of the civs is missing, which might be a problem if you try an Early Landing game and the missing civ is Purple, or play OCC and White is missing. Restarts Off makes a spaceship game riskier, if the AI can get at each other to knock a couple KeyCivs out of the game (again, Purple is usually the most important).

I have not seen much about the Simplified Combat. Is that just the old Civ1 system? Anyone got a link that explains it better than the Manual?

4. Hexer

Hexer Chieftain

Blubb, RESTARTS are ON. Played Early Conquest and waited for the Ending-Screen after wiping out the last Civ. Then I pressed F3 and saw that every destroyed Civ came back :( And now?

Simplified Combat is the old Civ1-System. Your Unit or the enemies one win the combat. Theres no damage.

But why are restarts on? *heul*

5. Duke of Marlbrough

6. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Ele: I did some playtesting and it seemed to me that knights are better attackers than elephants. It also seemed that the attacker won less often than normal in all cases, but all this could be my imagination or a statistical fluke. Does anyone know a combat formula for this system?

7. Hexer

Hexer Chieftain

Whats about my save then? Now, with all the new civs my whole game is...absoluter-mist. I can go on of course, but I lost so much time while thinking there are no more civs :/

Concerning the combat-system: I think civ calculates a combat with the help of the normal civ2-system and sets the damage if one of the units is killed back to zero.
    Another possibilitiy is to set hitpoints etc. to 1 for every unit.

8. Duke of Marlbrough

Hopefully you would have seen the civs restart as they came around since each one would have come back as the first one was killed off.

Since you obviously would have substantial map knowledge you'd have to finish off the game as is.

9. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Duke - I sympathize with Hexer. He did us all a favor by finding the problem and reporting it quickly. Maybe he could replay from his 1AD save, or some other compromise solution?

10. Duke of Marlbrough

11. geofelt

geofelt Chieftain

I find that I don't like the simplified combat. There is a lot of luck involved. In theory, a trireme can sink a battleship. I find that the usual combat rules don't apply. I seem to lose with a 4 to 1 attack advantage, and good defenders behind walls are not secure.

12. Hexer

Hexer Chieftain

Good old Civ1 Feeling, the warrior beats a battleship :D
    If your good defenders are not secure, then attack ;) I like the simplified combat. Ok, I had a lot of luck with my little elephants, but all in all it makes conquering much more easier. Its very nice to have no 1-movement elephants because of damage :)

13. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

OCC Report:
    Map analysis of the starting position leads to 4 possible Resource Seeds. Interestingly, lack of huts does not hinder ruling any of them out. All share the same arrangement of terrain specials, two of pure Whale & Fish bands and two of mixed bands. There is a 3-special center spot on grass with ocean access one tile to the northeast, with Whale, something hidden under Grass, and an unseen land tile in the black. A 4-special spot is three tiles to the south and west, on the ocean with two specials in the water (over half of the tiles are water) and a third under the grass to the south. Another 3-special spot is 5 tiles to the northeast, with ocean access and two specials in the water.

The one civ that has settled is White, which bodes well for an OCC game. Green has not settled yet, so it might be the absent civ, which could be a problem when the city grows. With Restarts now confirmed On a spaceship game is worth considering.

14. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Chieftain

15. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Not sure I'll be able to get this game in, but if I do, let me get this clear:

Simplified combat means no hitpoints and no firepower, right?

Does that mean there is only one random "battle" comparing just the attack and defense ratings and the winner is declared?

16. Hexer

Hexer Chieftain

Its not quite clear if there are no hit and firepoints but its right that there seems to be only one random battle...

17. Marsden

Marsden Keeper of the HoF Annex Hall of Fame Staff

Whatever is going on with the combat I'm going to make sure I save every time I might be killing someone, restarts or not!

Really, I'm used to restarts and I honestly did not know you could turn them off :blush: Usually I like to kill everyone in site until I feel its time to build and then I'm nice to most while having the largest most powerful country. :p

18. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

What -- "simple" combat ... looks like something no one has bothered to figure out...

Hmmm methinks we'll see this again.

(And no I've never played this wrinkle before either.)

19. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Chieftain

Hey guys, what mean civ restarts off/on? I still see in your posts.

20. Ace

Ace Chieftain

Yes. Its the way Civ1 works. The computer "rolls the dice" and whoever gets the first hit, wins!! I still have scorch marks on my ceiling from swearing at the game after the first time I lost a battleship to a settler!! It didn't happen often, but it could, and did happen.

In the simple combat system of Civ1, any unit could defeat any other unit, period. The odds could be a real "longshot", but it could win. Whereas, in Civ2, a settler has no chance against a Battleship. Likewise, a barb leader has no chance against a horseman. (In the current GOTM game, I just lost a chariot attacking a barb leader). I hate simple combat!!!

IMHO, the greatest improvement in Civ2 was improving the combat system to include firepower and hitpoints. This eliminated the possiblity of a settler with his shovel sinking a battleship, and other "impossible" combat results.