1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 69

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Oct 3, 2006.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

2. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Correction: the world is Flat not Round as advertised.

Resource seed is 18. The swamp next to starting location is 4 specials.

3. Duke of Marlbrough

4. Duke of Marlbrough

This game has 520 turns. An issue with game turns expected versus what actually happens has been found when using the map editor on games.

5. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

:groucho: Any thoughts out there on suitability for a one city challenge??

6. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Did you mean "4 other civs" ?

7. Merlin_Pilgrim

Merlin_Pilgrim Chieftain

Yes. No problem. I tried it and if I wouldn't have made the mistake to set science to 100% as soon as democracy comes up and shakespear is build I think I would have made it by around 1800 AD. But since I made this big mistake, I lost the space race against the zulus, so I don't post it.

I personally don't like restarts, especially on a map with loads of little islands, so I always would go for OCC.

8. starlifter

starlifter Chieftain

If you kept a log, then its always interesting to see it posted (even if its a loss), especially OCC games (it was while learning to play OCC that I started keeping logs of games in general). They are very helpful for those thinking about playing OCC. For potential OCCers: a really good thing about OCC is how fast (in "real time" you can complete one.

9. Duke of Marlbrough

No, I meant '5 Civs'. :)

10. Ali Ardavan

It is quite suitable and I am seriously thinking about playing OCC this month. (I have not started yet since I have not finished GOTM68 yet.)
    You have a 4 special site one tile away, ocean access, 2 settlers, good terrain, and all the prereqs for Monarchy. The only drawback is that the 4 special site is on swamp but the second settler can fix that as its first task.

11. Merlin_Pilgrim

Merlin_Pilgrim Chieftain

No, I didn't keep a log - it would help of course, but I don't have a good idea on what's worth or necessary to write down - any suggestions?

12. Merlin_Pilgrim

Merlin_Pilgrim Chieftain

Yes you are right - a very good spot and that's why I first put both settlers to the swamp on 56,16 to irrigate. It takes quite a while of course, but its worth it, I think.

13. Merlin_Pilgrim

Merlin_Pilgrim Chieftain

Even though you are right I misunderstood it in the first place as well.

14. Ali Ardavan

Take a look at the logs of those of us (you can see many examples in spoiler threads) who do keep a log and you will get some ideas. Many people keep logs, some very terse, some very detailed. Soon after you start you will develop a feel for how much detail is right for you.

I use 2 different styles of log keeping myself. One for OCC games which has more details and one for other games which has less.

15. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Merlin - Most player logs are mainly historical records of the high points of each turn, which is fine. I keep them (by pencil), but don't usually type them up.

If you want to improve, I'd suggest including your thoughts on strategy. For example, in 500BC, write down what you expect to do in the next 500 years (number of cities, wonders, conquests, techs, etc). Then, in 1AD, check how successful you were. Do you have any regrets about your goals, or techniques? Repeat.

16. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Duke, the map is not 80x80 but 160x80

17. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Magic: I think "80x80" is the normal way to describe this map. The map coordinates in civ2 are always "(odd,odd)" or "(even,even)". Half the possibilities, like "(odd,even)" are missing. So, our map has 6400 squares and "80x80" makes some sense - though I would prefer your system.

18. Ali Ardavan

80x80 is how it is in the map editor. 80x80 is also how you have to specify it at the outset of creating a new Civ2 game. It is unfortunate how Civ2 displays the coordinates, it should have showed them as they are in the map editor.

19. civdood

civdood Chieftain

Civdood can join too? Is it true?

20. Ali Ardavan

Welcome to GOTM civdood. Yes, anyone can join. Just make sure you read and understand the rules (on the same page as the download).