1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 73

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Feb 1, 2007.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

2. The Major

The Major Chieftain

nevermind... (sorry)

3. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Yeah, there was a bad link there but Duke seems to have caught it.

OCC REPORT: The map looks like 75x120, and the hut and whale give us an easy resource seed of 7, so the whale is the tail end of a resource pattern that stretches to the northwest. A little black clicking tells us one of the 4-special centers is in the water, but the other (55,103) is on land and only 4 tiles away. The resource seed tells us that this is a band of whales, which is usually pretty good for trade specials. Other good locations we can see are (57,107) and (61,105), both 3-special centers with one visible whale and one hidden under grass.

The starting techs look like good steps to a conquest game, but they have some benefits toward a spaceship game too. Each one gives us a unit with a different row of shields (Phalanx=20, Archer=30, Legion=40) which helps with early rush-buying. Iron is unusual enough that it should be easy to trade to neighbors, and should also permit Legions from huts. Finally, if you don't get tech from a hut you should be able to research Alphabet-CeremonialBurial-CodeofLaws-Monarchy without an off-path tech, and Writing-Currency-Trade directly afterward. Plus restarts on favors a spaceship game as well.

4. Agni Neres

Agni Neres Master of RiverSerpent

Hello,

I'm not really good with this interface, but there is a quote

"Iron is unusual enough that it should be easy to trade to neighbors, and should also permit Legions from huts"

I don't know how to put this quote in the special box, sorry.

It's not necessary to have IW to get legions. See my logs for GOTM 72 where I got a hut Legion way before IW. Not sure if its req'd that some civ have it.

Cheers.

Agni.

5. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Just click on the "quote" icon under the post you want to quote. Then you can delete any parts you don't want. If you don't see the icon, for some reason, there are other ways....

I don't think you can get Legions from huts until at least one civ has IW. I'm not sure why you'd want to get legions, though. For defense? To disband for 20 shields? Not bad, but I'd prefer a nomad, or gold, maybe even a horseman for faster scouting.

Welcome back to Civ2!

6. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

If you got a Legion from a hut, one of the other civs has discovered Iron or gotten it from a hut. Keenan wrote a Barb Paper a while back to document the tech triggers that change hut results.

Legions are way better than Archers once they get vet status. They go from an attack of 4 to 6, where an Archer goes from 3 to "4.5".

7. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I believe that like all other Civ2 arithmetic, combat is also integer based. Thus Archer goes from 3 to 4 not 4.5.

8. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

9. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

I thought combat was not integer based (or more accurately, it is probably integer based, but values are multiplied by a factor of 8 or 10 from what we see as the published value before the calculations so that they acted as if they used fractions. Now I need to go look this up.

10. Ali Ardavan

I believe the only thing that is multiplied by 10 is hit points.

11. Agni Neres

Concur. As I recall, this is the source of the LEO controversy where a vet Musk (3*1.5=4.5) defends better than a rookie Rifle (4). If the Musk rounds down there's no difference in defense, better offense for the Rifle and thus no controversy.

Agni.

12. Ali Ardavan

Agni, could you please provide a link to details about this controversy. I would like to look at the data.

13. Agni Neres

Ali, this should probably be its own thread...:)

The original source equations came from a book called "Rome on 640K per day", the Civ I premier strategy guide. Inside they explicity used the example of multiplying by 2 for fractions, so that odds of, say, 4.5:5 became 9:10, as opposed to 8:10 if one rounds down the 4.5. I could not find these old threads (they are probably archived somewhere, if one has the direct link) but did find a reference for you. See title. Most of us were under the impression the authors had access to the programmers and/or source code. We also assume it carried over into Civ2.

It becomes important when multiple fractions are in play. Consider a vet (1.5) musk on a river (1.5) fortified (1.5). Is his defense 10 or 6? There are tables suggesting adding just +1 for each bonus, which just doesn't feel right.

It's really not that important, but could make a nice test for someone with time and inclination to Monte Carlo a few hundred (thousand) :lol: trials.

Agni

14. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

I believe the relevant testing work was done in the late 90's, but cannot find a thread at the moment. SlowThinker may be able to help us in this if we can get his attention.

15. Agni Neres

Hello,

Hut strategy for this game, as relates to tech. As the game is, you can go VFR direct to MON in 4 techs if 0 from huts, and in 5 techs with 1 hut detour. However, if you get 2 off-path tech you will have to take a 3rd before MON will be offered. +1 food for thought.

Havent' started yet just strategizing.

Agni

16. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

17. Ali Ardavan

Agni, Tim, ElephantU, and Peaster,
    Thank you for your responses. I am going to take the discussion to the thread I started in the strategy forum which is more appropriate than here.

18. ManowaR

ManowaR Chieftain

What is the maxim number of turns for the game? I didnt saw it anywhere. And another question, how can i know the turn am i in?

19. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

Here is a list which shows the number of turns for each map size, g to dukes post #12, Havent been following so dont know how many turns this game is
    http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=649

20. ManowaR

ManowaR Chieftain

¡¡ OMG !!, you must study to calculate your damned score xDDDDDDDDDDDDD

GOTM73:

Civilization: Amatarasu of the Japanese
    Map: Round Random Map; 7 Civs
    Difficulty: King
    Round random map.

1.- How do i know the size of the game?
    2.- So if the map is extra large (>10.000) and king difficulty, what´s the end turn? The table indicates -
    3.- How do you know the turn you are in?

I'm spending morte time trying to calculate the final score than playing the real game xD