1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 74

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Feb 28, 2007.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

2. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Two king games in a row? Are you trying to go easy on everyone before a big "diamond anniversary" (or is it "monthiversary"?) game?

3. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Never mind the King level. It is the first time I remember that we are playing against merely 3 other civs and Roving Bands settings is just as scarce in GOTMs.

Correction: The map is 50x80, and flat, which is Normal not Small.

Map Analysis reveals little as there are no visible specials or huts. There are 16 possibilities for the seed but in all cases the starting location is 1 special. There are 3 and 4 special sites on land with ocean access a few tiles away in all cases. Thus OCC is possible but one has to wander about quite a few turns before deciphering the seed and building the city. With Aztecs known to be in the game (from top 5 cities) the fact that there are only 4 civs is not a handicap for OCC as the bottom two slots (Cyan and Yellow) are known to be present.

4. Duke of Marlbrough

I did forget to list the Flat Map item. I'm not sure why I had it listed as Small when it is a Normal sized map.

With the recent extenstions that have been needed I figured a 'short' game may help everyone 'catch up' a bit. :)

5. TimTheEnchanter

But you couldn't turn Restarts off?

6. Duke of Marlbrough

7. ManowaR

ManowaR Chieftain

Where can i find the information for a OCC game? I meen, it is suposed that you must finish the game with only 1 city, but what is it about the cities you conquer? You must destroy em buying settlers or what?

8. TimTheEnchanter

In OCC games, you can only have one city at ANY time during the course of the game. This specific type of game even allows/requires save and restarts if a hut gives an advanced tribe.

You can not capture any enemy cities in an OCC game. While there have been a few cases where people have played "OCC Conquest" in which every enemy city is razed, it is almost always played to Spaceship victory.

9. ManowaR

ManowaR Chieftain

Thanks Tim, that sounds hard :S

10. Ali Ardavan

Actually it is not very hard; nor is it easy. But it certainly is a different kind of challenge. A big part of its popularity is due to the fact that it takes far less real time to play an OCC game than it takes to play usual styles of Civ2 game (conquest or spaceship victory with many cities).

11. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

The rule of thumb for OCQ (Once City conQuest) is to get the AI city down to size one before you enter it. If you attack it greater than size one and the flag goes down (no defenders left), pause until the flag goes back up again (if you enter without defenders you capture, which is not allowed in OCC/Q at any time). If the city has walls, send a half-dozen diplomats or spies in to sabotage improvements (walls are usually the last to go). If you have spies you can use the "poison the water supply" option to reduce the city (I don't think you can poison a size one city out of existence).

12. TimTheEnchanter

It's not that hard, once you understand and adopt the correct mentality and strategic approach.

Now Size 1 OCC (Only one citizen in your one city), that's a little tougher.

13. Ace

Ace Chieftain

ElephantU is correct. You cannot destroy a size one city by poisoning the water supply. You will/may need a lot of dips to destroy walls, but if you have spies, you can select the improvement to attack. Usually, two or at most three spies will do the job. Remember to destroy the walls before making any attacks, or the city will not lose citizens!

14. Agni Neres

Agni Neres Master of RiverSerpent

Quote by Ali Ardavan

Map Analysis reveals little as there are no visible specials or huts. There are 16 possibilities for the seed but in all cases the starting location is 1 special. There are 3 and 4 special sites on land with ocean access a few tiles away in all cases. Thus OCC is possible but one has to wander about quite a few turns before deciphering the seed and building the city. With Aztecs known to be in the game (from top 5 cities) the fact that there are only 4 civs is not a handicap for OCC as the bottom two slots (Cyan and Yellow) are known to be present.[/QUOTE]

Hello,

I have not yet started 74 so pls don't reply with known info....

I read thru your work on map analysis, booted the map editor and recreated the city radius at the known coordinates. It seems to me the seed can be 7, 13, or 14....or these +16, +32 etc. Can you pls let me know where I'm making my mistake? Guess I just am not catching on that quickly.

Thanx.

Agni.

15. Agni Neres

And another question on this post, the OCC: It seems to me, most likely would be the other two civs to be Orange and Purple. Wouldn't this handicap a weak/pathetic OCC effort, missing key civ for a good part of the game? I'm not an OCC player but reading lots of stuff -- again I haven't started yet so pls don't answer with known GOTM 74 info, just theory/ info known in 4000 BC.

Thanx again.

Agni.

16. TimTheEnchanter

With only 4 civs in the game, nobody will be weak or pathetic. the power rankings are assigned descending from the top, so the lowest civ in a 4 civ game will be moderate.

17. Ali Ardavan

I do not have the detailed list of possibilities anymore. I threw it away after I discovered the resource seed following several turns of play. However, I do remember that there were 5 possibilities between 1 and 16, 3 of which gave rise to 4 seeds (x,x+16,x+32,and x+48) and 2 of which gave rise to 2 seeds.

Did you remember to transform the x coordinate, when going back and forth between the map editor and the game? That is the most common mistake, even for experienced map analyzers.

18. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

...like me... :hammer2:

19. Agni Neres

Thanks, crystal clear answer and easy to remember too. :)

20. Agni Neres

Yes, if I did it right, (31,45) in the game becomes (15, 45) in the editor. Oh well. This is all new to me and it really doesn't feel comfortable anyway, to much like peeking and too much like work, too :mischief:

Thanx.