Gotm 75

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
Now that the site has finished their April Fools joke...

For this GOTM I had such ideas for a possible April Fools edition of the game. However, with the site pulling its own April Fools joke, it seemed it would be 'too much'. Thus, you have, 'Island Hop'. A series of islands, all looking the same, some more populated than others. You are given two settlers; use them well to try and catch up to the level of the AI and beat them to space. That's the only way allowed to win the game.

The game settings
Civilization: Romans
Map: Normal; 5 Civs
Difficulty: Warlord
Barbarians: Raging Hordes
Restarts: On

Starting location:
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/gotm_games/GOTM75.jpg

Starting Techs:
~ NONE

Games will be due on May 5th, 2007.

Saved Game:
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload_75.shtml

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game.

One of the settlers is on shield grass, and one is not. Easy call which to build with.
Starting location (90,36) 60
Normal size world 50 x 80, Round
Oedo Note: Warlord + 4000 squares = 570 turn game. MUST WIN BY SPACESHIP.
I can't do the 'map analysis' so will leave that for Ali :)

THE TOP 5 CITIES ARE ALL JAPANESE !!!!!! WE HAVE 2 SETTLERS AND THEY HAVE 5 CITIES !!!!! And the other 3 civs ?! :eek:

This should be interesting -- or frustrating. Good luck all.

I agree, this does look very interesting. I'm itching to start this now, but we're going away for a weeks holiday so I'll have to be patient.

This must have taken a lot of work to put together, thanks Duke.

Don't look now, but we are starting in anarchy, not despotism!! Have to wait 3 turns to "select" despotism. Nasty surprise!

Don't look now, but we are starting in anarchy, not despotism!! Have to wait 3 turns to "select" despotism. Nasty surprise!

Yes I noticed that. I even didn't noticed this in the beginning (didn't wonder why I couldn't select a tech to research).

The purple civ is missing (again). So research will be a bit harder.

Yes I noticed that. I even didn't noticed this in the beginning (didn't wonder why I couldn't select a tech to research).

The purple civ is missing (again). So research will be a bit harder.

Hello,

Both these pieces of info need a spoiler thread, I think. You can't know them until you've actually played a few turns.

Agni

Hello,

Both these pieces of info need a spoiler thread, I think. You can't know them until you've actually played a few turns.

Agni

As far as I know it does not matter that much that this info is known before playing. You can't play differently when you know this before you start. You just have to play those turns as you always should do. In the older GOTM other players did also mentioned which civ's where in the game (not in the spoiler). Important information like where nearby islands are etc. should in my opinion not be mentioned in this thread.

As far as I know it does not matter that much that this info is known before playing. You can't play differently when you know this before you start. You just have to play those turns as you always should do. In the older GOTM other players did also mentioned which civ's where in the game (not in the spoiler). Important information like where nearby islands are etc. should in my opinion not be mentioned in this thread.

Hmm...I suppose that is true.

In that case, I offer that lack of purple civ may not be a killer, as we are White, key civ=Pathetic, and it looks like we'll be pathetic for quite a while. And as we gradually rise we can gift green, dk blue, etc in order.....:)

Agni

As there are only 5 civs, you are probably Inadequate to start, key civ = Dark Blue

Damn!!!

I'll never get this right! :aargh:

So we are screwed whether we are Supreme or near-Pathetic.

Ignorance was bliss. Starting to wish I'd never gone thru all those strategy threads. Then I could keep on landing around 1960 and be a happy camper.

Thanks for straighting me out before I got started anyway. :thanx:

Agni

I can't do the 'map analysis' so will leave that for Ali :)
Happy to oblige. I had to wait till I got done with GOTM74.

The analysis is actually pretty simple since we see so much and there is so little grassland. Resource seed is 17. None of the visible grass hide a special.

Thanks for the heads up. But I do not think this is detectable till you start playing.

Good point. While Magic_gorter is correct that this info in this case does not affect playing style it is hard to know when that is so. So I would just stick to the rule and not reveal anything one cannot decipher from the save wihtout making any moves.

This is a hand-made very unusual map. Playing OCC here presents an unusual set of challenges.

There are 5 civs and both white and green are in. This means there are 2 holes in the key civs. Balancing this is the warlord-level low cost of research.

The islands directly above and below us are trireme reachable. None of the others are. Unless they are occupied or you build the Lighthouse there is no opportunity for trade before Navigation.

The starting location is 1-special with no rivers which is significantly subprime for OCC.

Starting with no known techs, and no need for scouting, crowd control, or a settler presents its own challenge: what do you build first? None of the three things you can build (settler, warrior, barracks) are needed. You need to switch midstream and this needs to be done after the discovery of the first tech since the discovery of the second one will take too long. Think long and hard before you decide what your first tech is going to be.

With 5 persons happy at warlord level early growth (before Republic and Shakespeare) is possible and should be taken advantage of. With 3 warriors for crowd control you can grow to size 8. Add a temple and you can go to size 10.

Your city can produce a maximum of 7 shields without foresting the arable land and only 9 even if you do. This places a big premium on King Richard's.

Because of the geography alliances may be hard to obtain. Although the warlord level may compensate for that. I have no idea if it makes any difference.

The presence of more than 64 land pieces handicaps the AI even more so than usual.

This is a hand-made very unusual map. Playing OCC here presents an unusual set of challenges.

The islands directly above and below us are trireme reachable. None of the others are. Unless they are occupied or you build the Lighthouse there is no opportunity for trade before Navigation.

You need to switch midstream and this needs to be done after the discovery of the first tech since the discovery of the second one will take too long. Think long and hard before you decide what your first tech is going to be.

On the first point, I am considering early Seafaring, which cuts Trireme sinkage to 25%. The east-west landmasses are close enough for 1-turn-at-sea voyages, and it looks like this risk will be necessary unless the landmasses get closer higher/lower up on the map.

The second point is incorrect. Without crossing over into spoiler turf, you can build off your 2nd tech by working the regular ocean squares for a spell, slowing your production to 1 sh/turn until the 2nd tech is discovered. With great care, this can even be timed to effect 0 shield loss and final production immediately after the 2nd discovery.

Another method is to start a Barracks, then switch to a Settler mid-stream --deliberately burning 50% of shields -- then switch again when your 2nd tech is discovered. I haven't really analyzed which of these is better.

I agree thinking hard is definitely the right move !!

Another method is to start a Barracks, then switch to a Settler mid-stream --deliberately burning 50% of shields -- then switch again when your 2nd tech is discovered. I haven't really analyzed which of these is better.

Another approach I thought of (not sure if this is spoiler material) is to go ahead and build the barracks and sell immediately for 40 gold - then rush buy using the cash! :cool:

On the first point, I am considering early Seafaring, which cuts Trireme sinkage to 25%. The east-west landmasses are close enough for 1-turn-at-sea voyages, and it looks like this risk will be necessary unless the landmasses get closer higher/lower up on the map.
25% is still a huge risk. At that point in the game the loss of a loaded boat sets you back tremendously.
... you can build off your 2nd tech by working the regular ocean squares for a spell, slowing your production to 1 sh/turn until the 2nd tech is discovered.

Another approach I thought of is to go ahead and build the barracks and sell immediately for 40 gold - then rush buy using the cash!
All of these suggested methods involve taking a significant loss. For example, every turn you work on a regular ocean tile instead of whale costs you 1 food and 2 shields. At this stage of the game every little bit counts. One might be better off researching a first tech that actually allows you to build something you need without any loss or at least minimal loss.

For example, if playing OCC, I would pick a first tech that allows a wonder to be built.

(not sure if this is spoiler material) ...
Absolutely not. These strategy discussions belong here. Any thougts on the game before you make a move belongs here.

Checking the top five cities chart shows the Japenese with all 5 cities. So, with at least one of the AI civs starting with 5 cities, I am starting with bronze working. That will yield a good defensive unit and the Colossus.

As for the first build, I like the barracks. It is, in effect, putting 40 coins in the bank and you can also build a vet phalanax to defend Rome.

25% is still a huge risk. At that point in the game the loss of a loaded boat sets you back tremendously.

Yes...which is why it's still in the 'consider' stage :D I've been thinking it over since the game was first posted. The harbor is necessary anyway, I can grab the early seafaring but not risk the boats. And who knows, maybe it will be unnecessary.

On the starting strategy...my considered opinion is that the biggest risk of all is NOT getting off the island ASAP. So, using one of the posted methods my first build is a piece of floating wood, though at a higher total cost than usual to be sure. My demand for this item is much greater than the price I will have to pay.

Checking the top five cities chart shows the Japenese with all 5 cities. So, with at least one of the AI civs starting with 5 cities, I am starting with bronze working. That will yield a good defensive unit and the Colossus.

As for the first build, I like the barracks. It is, in effect, putting 40 coins in the bank and you can also build a vet phalanax to defend Rome.

A safe, conservative choice which will pay off if the 'raging hordes' land on your patch early on. The 20-shield PHX will also help you IRB later on.

Don't forget the 1 gold/turn cost of the barrracks coming out of your bank, too.

There are 5 civs and both white and green are in. This means there are 2 holes in the key civs. Balancing this is the warlord-level low cost of research.

Ali, are you sure about this? The Cost of Research threads don't mention any discount for lower levels, only for smaller map sizes. I was under the impression that the AI had to pay more for tech on lower levels, not that human pays less. And with 0 starting techs, our costs will be extra high.

After opening the Game , and locating seed...
I think this could be a GREAT game...

Just looking at the map and Black cliquing ....the 6 visible land masses are at the NW ( Island 54 ) ..and has only 4 tiles ...
Island 48 North ...just 4 Tiles
Island 49 to the NE ..also 4 tiles
Island 61 to the SE 4 tiles....
Then to the South Continent 63 ..since black clicking reveals also the visible mass to the SW was 63....

According to the visible Specials ...( 83.31 ) and ( 89.33 ) ....83.31 is the " G " seed regardless of the Pattern ...
So the Alpha Seed is located at 79.33...either NW or NE
89.33 is then either E seed NE or D NW

IF this is a NE Pattern, then A = 79.33 B= 81.27 C= 85.25 D= 91.27 E= 89.33 F= 85.35 G= 83.31 and H= 87.29

IF is a NW Pattern ..then A= 79.33 B = 81.27 C= 87.29 D=89.33 E=87.39 F=81.37 G=83.31 and H = 85.35

A , B and G resolutions are allways the same....

IF Its a NW seed then it has to be a special at Island 48 at 91.27 and a Hut at 89.27 .

So far , nobody has mention Demographics

We are ranked 5th out of 5 Civs...
Implies , THAT IF we take on any other Civilization Capital and Destroy it......a civil War will ensue .....after the Capital is destroyed ...then missings Civs will restart....

Maybe the Goal here is to build a couple of triremes...Good Offensive units ..and take over the Japanese. Capital ..since they are the # 1 CIV...or any of the Others...

Maybe Marco is essential

Food for thought...

Top Bottom