1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 77

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Jun 1, 2007.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

How Lucky Is Double Sevens?

For this game, suggestions from players have been incorporated to reduce the element of luck. All of the huts have been removed. The map is fully revealed from the start, so you can formulate your strategy in full knowledge of the terrain. Restarts are also off, so no random civ restarting if you are going for conquest.

But we're not all that nice. For starters, tech research costs have been increased 30%. Also, 20 turns have elapsed - the year is 3000BC. Since this is just after Barbs start spawning, you have been gifted a Warrior for immediate defense. Barbs are Restless, which is one notch below Raging. On a revealed map you should see the Barb ships coming if you pay attention between turns.

The game settings
    Civilization: Empress Ludmila of the Russians (Putin's wife...)
    Map: Large revealed map; 7 civs
    Difficulty: King
    Barbarians: Restless
    Restarts: Off

Starting location:
    http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/gotm_games/GOTM77.jpg

Starting Techs:
    ~ Bronze Working
    ~ Ceremonial Burial
    ~ Horseback Riding

Games will be due on July 7th, 2007.

Saved Game:
    http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload_77.shtml

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game.

2. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

GOTM 77 is due 7/7/07...very apt.;)

3. Sundano

Sundano Chieftain

Hi all, I'm new to CivFanatics, quite new to Civ itself just thought I'd post here, and say Hi, and that I will be playing this GOTM :D My first GOTM and my first time playing on King level, lol, *Crosses fingers*

4. Duke of Marlbrough

Saw that, did you? :D

5. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

@Duke:

I have a question about the GOTM score. Do you calculate the real amount of turns played or the real amount of turns including the not played (from 4000 - 3000 bc). So if I finish at 1 AD will the GOTM score use 80 or 100 turns.

6. Duke of Marlbrough

By default, we will be using the actual number of turns passed.

7. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

@ Duke:
    Something strange happened with this GOTM game. Looking at Charlie's log of his game in the spoiler his game turns last 10 years after 1 AD. While playing mine every turn last 20 years after 1 AD. We both have civ Classic (Charlie mentioned he didn't play it with the patched version). Looking at total played turns Charlie played a few turns more then I but finished 300 years earlier.

For the GOTM score (gold star) you look at turns not years, but for the green star you look at years I think.
    Look at the amount of played turns I would normally finish on an earlier date than Charlie. How will we deal with this situation????

8. Duke of Marlbrough

Games received thus far:

Ace
    Freakmon
    Magic_Gorter
    CharlieChuck
    Capt_ML
    OldnSlow

As for the number of turns being different, we'll examine it when the games are submitted. Normally, everything is based on the number of turns played.

GOTM 74 results are posted.