GOTM #8 *Spoilers* Thread

Chieftess

Retired Moderator
(no, I haven't lost... yet...)

This is the best land I've seen in ANY Civ3 game! :)
Rivers, resources, luxeries!
Too bad there's jungle to the south - I sure hope I have this continent/island to myself!

I also have only 1 spearmen, but... I'm confusing the AI by moving it from city to city. :)

:cry: :cry: :cry:

I wanted to play a good GOTM for a change but I'm getting my *ss kicked by the English. Well, not really but because of this everlasting war I can't develop and both the English and the Russians are in te medieval period and I'm far from it. :( And to make matters worse Frankfurt went to the Russians because of culture flipping. My temple there was almost done!!! :cry:

I wanna cheat and give myself one modern armor. :mad: I would if it wasn't a GOTM.

Well I'm more or less keeping up so far....I managed to build the Great Library, and probably got 6 or 7 techs from it, and saved up around 1200 gold. Now I'm winning a war against the Russians, who are spread out due to quite a bit of encroachment by the French. I mostly play on Regent, and this is my first foray into Regent....we'll see if I can get my Panzers out and running before it's too late.

Well, Russia and England had a grudge match against France, and I think it cost them. :) I have 16 cities, and it's only 190 AD, and I have 1/2 culture (compared to the other 3). But, I was also invaded by 5 barb hordes (horsemen). Another attacked Russia. Fortunately for me, they were my outer cities. Not so fortunate for Russia. ;)

Its 10 BC in my game. I have 11 cities right now. The game is going pretty good. I haven't built any wonders, but lead in score on my continent but I think that Japan and China on the other continent may be ahead, because they have built some wonders.

I'm currently attacking Russia, and am slaughtering them with 15 swordsmen.

The jungle hasn't really been a big deal, but those crazy horsemen stacks are really annoying.

Going decent so far for me. Except for the barb hordes. England and France have been having it out with each other while me and Russia have stayed peaceful. I'm finishing up some of the barb camps north and expanding that way. Just set up my horse city and I have a city in the jungle at Size 4 pumping out spearmen and swordsmen. I've got the 3 nearby lux as well. I'm more a Warlord player with a few forays into Regent usually ending in disaster so trying to stay on good terms as much as I can in this game. Someone is already eliminated elsewhere according to the latest chart of the top nations. England is getting close to being hit hard and out.

I'm not too far behind in techs due to some good trade deals.

Russia and England have been warring for years with Russia gaining the most ground. English seem to be defending their cities with a rifleman - spearman combo even though they are technologically advanced and leading in the histograph.

I signed MPP's with France and Japan (maybe that will stop the Russians demanding stuff from me) and have them now both gracious.

India are down to one city due to a previous war with Japan I think so of course they then decided to declare war on Russia who are quite big, with a huge military and on the other side of the world. (Crazy AI)

Hopefully some more good tech trading will enable me to get fission the same time the AI gets it so I can build the UN.

Diplomatic seems to be the only way I can win this (I only just started playing regent this week (and won!))

Well, now I'm the largest, with Japan, India, China, England and France at about the same size (a little small than me). England and France seem INTENT on building little towns all over the place! A few of those cities are now being choked by my culture. ;)

The age of muskets is fast coming, so I may hold off on war after I take the last Russian city. In the meantime, I'll be building my infrastructure and waiting for Panzers to come online. The strange thing is, after I got The Great Wall in a wonder cascade, I haven't seen much of the barb hordes!

CT, same with me, when I got the Great Wall by accident (I was prebuilding the Hanging Gardens and forgot to watch turns till completion, finished the Wall same turn as I got Monarchy, STUPID ME! Still got the Gardens though by some luck). I haven't seen but a couple barbs since then. I guess they're attacking all those English and Russian cities around me. I can definately say I'm not in the top of the world right now. Other continent had no wars (I forgot only 7 civs) and our continent has only had a English-French war. I'm holding out till Panzers then will knock off the continent. May start an early war with the Russians if I can build up enough of a military before Panzers.

In my game, Russia had modern armour around before I even had Panzers! Lack of resources was a problem (no oil or aluminium). As luck would have it, when I got Panzers the English still weren't destroyed, but had two very poorly defended cities. So I took an army of Panzers and killed them off in one turn. Very surgical, and exactly as planned. I didn't want it to last more than 1 turn because of WW, and I *had* to kill them for me not to go into vast disorder. Not only did I get a golden age out of that, but I got a supply of oil as well! :)

That golden age really saved my ass, because I was quite far behind in tech, and it let me catch up. I got the golden age at the perfect time, just when I had about 5 techs left to get before Laser.

The golden age gave me a huge cash stash, so when it ran out around when I was getting the Laser, I was able to switch science to 100%. I beat the Chinese by just a very small number of turns I think. :)

Russia stole my only source of coal when I was in the industrial age. Luckily, by that time coal was not much in demand and I bought it from them on the cheap. Eventually, that city reverted back to me, but not before I started culture whoring like mad in my city next to it. Even when my city was producing 16CP/turn, and theirs none, it still took forever to revert back to me.

I also did a LOT of drafting as well, because at one point Russia attacked me out of nowhere, and I basically had no standing army. So that did not go so well. Luckily I got the French and the Chinese to sign a MPP, so I didn't take all the brunt.

Anyway, I've posted a savegame in the main GOTM thread if anyone wants to see it.

Still playing along but well enough into the game to know what's going on. Haven't seen all of the land where Japan and China are cohabitating with India but that's only because I haven't cared yet.

I have never seen this much food (wheat, flood, and cows) on one continent. Several areas look the Kansas City stock yards.

Used the worker as explorer gambit to the east and popped a settler from the huts in the mountains. Sent one archer and warrior south and met Cathy just as Moscow built a settler. When the settler left Moscow to head west and found another city, I killed the settler and the the spearman guard to harvest the two slaves and then recharged hit points for two turns and killed Cathy to avenge all the abuse in GOTM7. Serves her right. Moscow on the floodplain without an adjacent shield bonus caused it to take Cathy 27 turns to make build her first unit, what sort of brain damage causes the AI to ignore balancing food production and shield production while fixating on just building a settler.

Lots of barbarians are good for making sure all your military units are always promoted up to elite level before attacking the real enemies. Barb warm-ups plus military promotion rates equals death to all neighbors with prior records or deceit an misconduct.

Locating barbs in the jungle belt is really a PITA.

Well, I just finished my game up. Got a victory something I haven't even done except by retirement on Regent. I stayed out of war the whole game and kept everyone polite towards me. World wars helped that too, since I helped a lot of people in their war efforts with iron or saltpepper. Everyone but me and England were at war with Russia at one time. Other continent seemed pretty pacifist towards each other, I think there was only 1 war there.

I got behind in tech a bit at one point, but I deprived myself of resources to catch up. Traded away my only hooked up iron source to Russia for 3 techs, 41 gpt, and some gold, then right after that to someone else I traded my only hooked up source of Saltpepper to France for the next 3 techs and some gpt. This was also in the middle of a French-Russian war. Plus I had other sources I could have hooked up in 5 turns or less. After that I caught up and pretty much stayed a tech ahead or even the rest of the game. I was first to fission, and got the UN. Buttered everyone up with gifts of about 500-1000 gold (I had a treasury of about 10000 due to all my trades of techs for gpt.)

Anyways, I never had a golden age in the game and only got the Hanging Gardens, Great Wall, Hoover Dam, and UN.

Also, got lucky with resources, I seemed to always have one within my borders. Not sure about aluminum, I was so close I never looked through my territory to see if I had it. I basically settled going north and got my oil source from the island to the northeast.

Anyways, wasn't that bad for my first Monarch game.

This game is going well for me. I lead the score with over 1100. Just entered Industrial age. Russia is destroyed by swordsmen 1000 years earlier and I rused FP in Moscow.

I managed to get Sun Tzus, but lost Bachs, so went for Smiths and got that and also Newtons. Didn't bother with any other wonders, they would have been a waste.

Currently made MPP with England. France seems threatning and has moved 10 stack archer group, and I'm getting ready for war. The Ai being the idiot it is, didn't upgrade them to atleast longbowmen, so drafting rifles and rushing some others. After I have 30 knights, I'll buy Military Tradition and upgrade for 600 gold only! :D. Then I'll finish off the French. Hopefully England will do some damage to France.

On the other continent, China declared war on India, and is kicking their @*$. India will be out soon, and I'll try to make a war between China and Japan through MPPs.

I hope to take out France with Cavalry, and then finish England with Panzers. Then I'll deal with Japan or China. Probably go for spaceship since its the easiest.

Techs are going good. I don't have military tradition or printing press, but I don't want either of the two as yet. No point in going for democracy because its a waste of turns with anarchy and I'm going to be fighting some wars.

Who ever said the start position was good has a different definition of good than me. :)

I really loved get hit by three stacks of barbarians (25 horsemen each) from three different directions at the same time. I guess that is classed as a national disaster (does wonders for the bank account). Oh, well just a minor set back. Speaking of barbarians I saw a Japanese galley hit our coasts but it got sunk by the barbarians before I could make contact.

So far my strongest enemy has been the barbarians. That's a real switch.

CB

My best experience with the barbarians.

When a horde of 10 horsemen came, I used up my money to buy techs and embassies, 10 gold left.

One horseman ransacked my city taking away 1 gold

Another horseman ransacked my city taking away 1 gold

10 horsemen ransacked my city taking away a total of 10 gold pieces!:D

Oops. Maybe it would've been a good idea to read the game specs first... didn't notice many barbarians about (probably due to the rapidly disappearing southern frontier), so I figured it must've been a low-barbarian game. There I was, happily minding my own business demolishing Russia and England, when several barbarian camps decide to uprise. Ouchies.

Well, just finished. Game score of 2759, no clue if that is good or not. Was my first monarch game, and it wasn't too bad. I was going to go for world domination, taking over my whole island with my panzers, but then I saw France walk by with, literally, 3 stacks of 80+ Infantry, so I wimped out and went with the Diplo victory.

Anyone know which victory condition is the best for overall score?

Top Bottom