GOTM 83 Spoiler

Peaster

Emperor
I wanted 5 shields per turn, so I defended my OC with just 2 dips. Along comes a Persian trireme. I quickly made peace, but they were not trustworthy. Game over. :(

Sorry to hear about your bad luck Peaster. How far did you get?

Good point ccAMELS73. Very observant.

I got to somewhere around 300BC. My city was size 6 with a library, market, MPE, 2 dips and 12 techs. Taxes at 60% = 19g/t. Mfg = 5s/t.

I beelined for Republic from the start. I got a lot of arrows for science and RBing, and was optimistic about future Hides trade with the AIs. But I was never quite able to celebrate with free growth, and I disbanded a warrior or two to avoid support, which may've encouraged the Persian attack.

So, maybe Republic was a mistake, or maybe it would've worked out well with slightly better luck, dunno. Frankly, I'm not very interested in OCC-type games, but I will be curious to see how people play this one.

the reason I said that about the luck was because I had the sorta the same thing happen, I was defending my city with only one warrior and was attacked by Romans, they beat my warriors but did not land to take my city!

on a side note, I won't be turning in my game this month because I am using this map as a bit of a learning tool for myself...I have played it through about 3 times now, each time a little differently and I am still not sure of the "best" way to do it. Maybe someone would be so kind as to give some pointers? :mischief:

Hello Peaster, really bad luck. I've done the same thing. After switching to Republic I had also only Dips or Caravans in my city. There were several triremes visiting my city, but there was no attack even without making peace.

I had expected that the game would become a race for the wonders, but they didn't start building a single one.

Hello ccAMELS73, can you give some land marks. May be I need some pointers from you. This will probably my first GotM I'll get to an end in the allowed time.

well my first 3 attempts went as follows...
researched alphabet,ceremonial burial, code of laws, monarchy (in that order),
attained monarchy in 2450BC, had 133 gold, city size 3, 2 turns away from building a barracks (which in turn I will sell), I have 2 warriors defending/disciplining my city, my tax rate stands at 30/70/0 (t/s/l).
this is where my attempts start to differ...

btw, you can call me camel

on a side note, I won't be turning in my game this month because I am using this map as a bit of a learning tool for myself...I have played it through about 3 times now, each time a little differently and I am still not sure of the "best" way to do it. Maybe someone would be so kind as to give some pointers? :mischief:
Why don't you turn in your first attempt?

I do not think anyone knows the best way to play this game. We will find out more as more people play and post.

Frankly, I'm not very interested in OCC-type games, but I will be curious to see how people play this one.
I encourage you to play again, like camel. So what if you cannot turn it in? This game is fast enough that it can be played several times. The more results we have at the end, the better we can compare strategies.

I started with the intent of either Conquest or Spaceship depending on time constraints because of xmas. It was sort of going to plan, but things were taking a lot longer than I'd hoped. I built the lighthouse and started trading, but It was taking so much time to learn techs. I then went for Coppernicus to speed things up, but ended up clicking end round for 20 or 30 turns while nothing was happening.

It took me a long time to get to steam engine, It could have been speeded up by getting gifts by making my power weak but I didn't think of doing it, I only managed a few hundred. I waited a bit after Steam Engine and decided to go for Spaceship, but techs were coming too slow, so in about 1750's AD I revolted and went for conquest.

I took out the russians with 2 Ironclads, then I stupidly tried to take the city with a caravan (don't know what I was thinking) so had to wait for an explorer to take the city. There were about 6 units in Moscow.

The persians were a bit harder 2, probably vet, archers cost me an Ironclad. At this point the other civ's all have close to 1000gold, which you receive most of when capturing.

I'm going to capture all the other civ's (apart from the mongols) and go for spaceship, I've just got Industrialisation and after I switch to Demo should be able to get a tech every other turn, making all deliveries to the SSC.

I liked this and whipped through it. I have been playing the "Win before 1750" for a while and I went for Monarchy for control, Navigation and then Magnetism for the Frigates. I used Diplomats to sabotage the Coastal Fortresses. I protected myself with veteran Phalanx's and didn't even start exploring until I had Frigates. I won in 1877. Once the layout of the first couple of cities was found it was apparent where the others where, "Go.East!"

I've been away from the GOTM for quite a while...bad health...but has anyone tried the "Fast Win before 1750" theory with the GOTM games?

I have not played a GotM to conclusion in years, and I doubt I ever turned one in. In any event, this is the first time I ever beat Diety, which will tell you something of my play level. But the concept was too intriguing, and the time was sufficiently short ( between overtime at work, and my part time sports writing).

I went for bronze as first tech, so I could start on a wonder immediately. This gave me Lighthouse only 3 turns after I finished researching Map Making. Once I got trade, I established one embassy, and two trade routes, and focused on getting Engineering at the same time I had camels to pay for Crusade. That didnt come out as close. In any event, I probably cost myself 10 turns by keeping the trimarine rather than building a caravan for use for defense. I went Republic, but turned to Monarchy for the conquest. Finish in 1851.

J

I never played a game remotely similar to this.

I am not well versed in OCC style games, but before I joined this site , I have allways played Deity level, so I knew that 3 defenders were crucial with the addition of a Temple.

My path was researching Trade first, to Achieve Marco Polo, then Monarchy.

Since the Orange , White and Purple triremes attacked my city several times ,( I had 3 Veteran Phalanxes I never worried about losing my City ).

I was affraid of building a Trireme , load it with Caravans and lost them to an attack, so I though that trading in the beguining could be a waste of time.

After MP was built I traded JUST the Techs I needed to achieve Engineering and The Republic.

I mined the Island early to achieve an extra shield in Monarchy..I was lucky that the Germans were friendly and traded The Republic a few turns before I Built Kings Richard...with Construction ( Aqueduct ) ,Sanitazion and " I love the King "...I achieved a size 24 city , the extra shield mined in the city ,turns into 2 shields in Republic and Democracy and 4 if we have Kings Richard...not a lot , but 4 extra shields per turn make a difference.

After King Richard, I went the MEDICINE path to achieve Shakespeare, then after Navigation ( and Democracy ) I started trading, the returns for Hides were HUGE....

I took Moscow First with 3 Iron Clads.

I belive I took the rest of the other Cities ( Except Berlin ) with Marines.

In All the other Island cities, I built Harbors , Temples, Libraries, Universities, Sewer Systems and finally Offshore plataforms, so they all achieved size 20+ and maximize the Shields, interestingly with all the shields ( 30 Per city on the average ) pollution was warned but I never had to clean a single tile.

My pet peeve is to build ( or control ) all 28 wonders and loose a minnimum of units.

I manage to build all 28, since the other civs never started one and managed to conquer the world by eliminating the Germans, the last civ.

I left Berlin alone as a trading Partner and finally took the Germans using a Nuke ( the beauty is that a Nuclear attack seem never to pollute the Capital )
to end the game

I am working on my Log, took me 6 hours to play the game and maybe will take me 4 hours to re-construct the Log based on saves and written notes, the log will be posted ASAP.

Again , Ali ....thanks for a fun and exciting game

my "best" game went as follows:
tech path-> Alphabet, Writing (so I could build an early library),C. Burial,
C. of L., Monarchy

Monarchy established in 2050BC

124gold/city size 3/ (t/s/L) 30/70/0
build path-> warrior, barracks (then r.b & switch to and build library), warrior,
barracks (then sold), barracks (sold)
at this point (2050BC) in 4 turns my city will be size 4 so I start my
3rd warrior

tech path-> Bronze W., Currency, Trade
build path->3rd warrior, temple, settler once I discovered trade I rushed bought the settler then switched to 'van
(at 1200BC I had to move my workers around to
minimize sheilds so I would NOT build a settler, then switched
them back once trade was discovered)

tech path-> Mysticism, Map Making, Literacy
build path-> finished first 'van, then what I did was waited one production
turn then IRB up to a settler then finished out producing a van,
then did this again, then on my fourth van the money ran out.
Once I discovered Map, I increased taxes to 70% so I could
afford more sheilds.

675BC: city size 6/ 6 gold/ (t/s/l) 70/30/0
3 vans, 3 warriors, 10 techs

tech path->Literacy,
build path-> finished 4th van, took 5 turns to finish a trireme (w/ assistance)
Lighthouse in 1 turn, (to maintain 5 shield prod. I disbanded 1
warrior, I also had to change t/s/l to 70/10/20 once I built the
1st caravan and was delivering it) 1st caravan to deliver.

I delivered my first caravan to Moscow (demanded dye) for 208 gold (325BC)
I also changed my t/s/l rate to 30/10/60 to get a couple turns of celebration
once I started celebrating I changed it to 50/10/40

tech path->Lit., Philosophy, Republic, Medicine
build path-> rushed 2 caravans while trireme came back from Moscow, started
market while 'vans were being delivered, made 136 from beads
van (waited till next turn to deliver 2nd van) and rushed the
market, (made 136 from hides) started to build more vans

I changed my t/s/l rate to 10/60/30 to continue celebrating while maxing out
my science rate

Republic established 125 BC
34 gold/ city size 7/ tsl (70/10/20)
1 warrior, 1 caravan, 1 trireme, 14 techs

more to follow... Any thoughts,suggestions?

125BC ....

tech path-> Banking, Seafaring, Mathmatics, Astronomy, Navigation
build path-> caravan, diplomat (to take to Moscow)
made 140 from hides van, established embassy w/ Moscow
traded for Pottery, Horseback, Wheel, maps
rushed 4 vans, built MPE,
traded Mongols for Masonry,map
traded Germans for Construction, Banking, map
rushed 2 vans, aqueduct, made 140 from hide van to mongols
finished the 'duct by rushing,made 322 from hide van to mongols (demanded) harbor (rushed after 1 turn), rushed 2 vans, colosseum
made 368 from hide van to mongols rushed colosseum changed t/s/l to 0/70/30
made 384 from hide van to mongols, rushed bank changed t/sl/ to 0/80/20

540 AD Republic, city size 12, 188 gold, t/s/l rate 10/80/10
1 warrior, 2 caravans, 1 trireme, 24 techs (128 turns)

tech path-> Engineering, Sanitation, Physics, Invention, Steam Engine
build path->caravans
made 268 from hides to mongols, waited 1 turn made 268 more..
rushed 5 vans while last 2 hides were delivered
built Colossus, disbanded 5th van for sewer
changed t/s/l rate to 40/50/10 to make enough money in taxes to finish sewer
changed t/s/l to 70/10/20 to celebrate and make money for rushing vans
rushed 3 vans, disbanded trireme and built caravel changed t/s/l to 10/70/20
--delivered dye van to Moscow (264 gold,demanded)
--delivered hide van to mongols (148 gold), delivered salt to mongol (148)
rushed 5 vans, built Hanging Gardens, changed t/s/l rate to 70/10/20
rushed 3 vans then changed t/s/l rate to 10/70/20, celebrating
everytime my city size increased, I moved a worker to make a tax man
to continue celebration
delivered hides to Moscow (136 goldx3), city size 17, changed t/s/l (0/70/30)
rushed 3 vans

1260 AD Republic, city size 20, 215 gold, t/s/l rate (0/70/30)
1 warrior, 3 vans, 1 caravel 29 techs (164 turns)

1260 AD
t/s/l (10/70/20), all my citizens are now working a city square

tech path->Democracy,Economics,Magnetism,Polytheism,Monotheism
build path->caravan,bought university,rushed 4 caravans
traded mongols to get University, tech bombed them
demanded dye delivered to mongols(388g),hides delivered to mongols(188gx2)
traded mongels to get Iron working
delivered hides to persia (300gx2)
delivered hides to persia (290g)
traded Carthaginians for polytheism
disbanded 1 van to start stock market and bought the rest

1500AD Democracy city size 20, 504 gold, tsl rate(10/70/20)
1 warrior, 2 vans, 1 caravel, 36 techs (176 turns)

turn 1: 4000BC Tenochtitlan(1) / starting with warrior
turn 2: 3950BC -
turn 3: 3900BC -
turn 4: 3850BC -
turn 5: 3800BC warrior / starting barracks
turn 6: 3750BC Alphabet->Writing (22 beakers)
turn 7: 3700BC -
turn 8: 3650BC -
turn 9: 3600BC -
turn 10: 3550BC -
turn 11: 3500BC -
turn 12: 3450BC -
turn 13: 3400BC -
turn 14: 3350BC -
turn 15: 3300BC Writing->Code of Laws (33 beakers) / change barracks into library
turn 16: 3250BC -
turn 17: 3200BC -
turn 18: 3150BC -
turn 19: 3100BC -
turn 20: 3050BC -
turn 21: 3000BC -
turn 22: 2950BC -
turn 23: 2900BC Library build / building warrior
turn 24: 2850BC -
turn 25: 2800BC Code of Laws->Literacy (48 beakers) / warrior / building barracks
turn 26: 2750BC -
turn 27: 2700BC size 3
turn 28: 2650BC -
turn 29: 2600BC -
turn 30: 2550BC -
turn 31: 2500BC -
turn 32: 2450BC Literacy->The Republic (60 beakers)
turn 33: 2400BC barracks builds and sold
turn 34: 2350BC -
turn 35: 2300BC -
turn 36: 2250BC -
turn 37: 2200BC -
turn 38: 2150BC -
turn 39: 2100BC -
turn 40: 2050BC -
turn 41: 2000BC barracks build and sold

Status at -2000
Population: 0,06M; Cities: 1; Trade routes: 0D0F; Government: Depotism
Money: 143 gold; Cost per turn: 1; Total advances: 4; Production: 5MT; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: -
Units: 2 warriors

turn 42: 1950BC -
turn 43: 1900BC -
turn 44: 1850BC The Republic->Bronze Working (72 beakers) / 0t-70s-30l
turn 45: 1800BC 0t-60s-40l (changed because hapiness problems at size 4)
turn 46: 1750BC >0,1M (size 4)
turn 47: 1700BC -
turn 48: 1650BC barracks build and sold
turn 49: 1600BC Bronze Working->Currency (84 beakers)
turn 50: 1550BC -
turn 51: 1500BC -
turn 52: 1450BC -
turn 53: 1400BC -
turn 54: 1350BC 20t-40s-40l
turn 55: 1300BC Currency->Trade (104 beakers) / 0t-60s-40l
turn 56: 1250BC barracks build and sold / building settler (will change in caravan) / size 5
turn 57: 1200BC -
turn 58: 1150BC -
turn 59: 1100BC -
turn 60: 1050BC -
turn 61: 1000BC 30t-30s-40l

Status at -1000
Population: 0,15M; Cities: 1; Trade routes: 0D0F; Government: Republic
Money: 218 gold; Cost per turn: 1; Total advances: 7; Production: 5MT; 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: -
Units: -

Top Bottom