1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm 91

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Aug 1, 2008.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Game of the Month #91 (August 2008)

The game settings
    Civilization: Americans
    Map: Normal Map; 5 civs
    Difficulty: Emperor
    Barbarians: Roving Bands
    Restarts: On

Starting Techs:
    ~ Alphabet
    ~ Bronze Working

Starting location:
    http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/gotm_games/GOTM91.jpg

http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload_91.shtml

Games will be due on September 6th, 2008.

Please be sure to follow the submission guidelines when submitting your game (please do not send your files in a .zip file. Attach hem directly to your e-mail with your name in the save file).

2. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

this is a 420 turn game (do you have your oedo chart handy)

I was hoping to get GotM 90 done, before the Duke posted 91, but the turns were just taking too long.

I was also hoping to play this as a OCC to save time this month, but it doesnt look good. What do others think?

3. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I've almost finished GOTM 90...and am thinking about a landing game...it's been a while after playing only conquest games.

4. CharlieChuck

CharlieChuck Prince

It'll have to be conquest or OCC for me this month, I'm on holiday for half of it. There's no visual specials and I don't know how to find them (and haven't got time to learn) so I think it's conquest.

5. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

I'm trying blackclicking again this month. I've been wrong more than I'm right with this technique. So take the information for what its worth. Hopefully someone can confirm the information.

I have our island as containing 52 land squares, roughly the same shape as Ireland

6. Prof. Garfield

Prof. Garfield Deity Supporter

For this game, if you want to increase your score by playing longer you will have to increase your normal score by 1.8629% per turn in order to break even in the GOTM score. To find the factor by which your score must be multiplied in order to break even over a period of turns use the formula:

(1.018629)^C=F

Where C is the number of turns elapsed ("Change in turns") and F is the factor by which your score must be multiplied in order to break even.

For example, suppose you want to delay ending the game for 100 turns:

(1.018629)^(100)=6.3329

You will have to be prepared to add 5.33 times your current score to your score to break even. If you have 200 points, you would have to add 1066 points to your score for a total of 1266.

Disclamer: I only tried the formula I developed once, so there is a chance that it is flawed.

If you were wondering, this will be my first game of the month and I have no intention of using this formula myself. I was only curious to see what the answer would be and I thought others might be, too.

7. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Warlord

I just finished Game 90....downloaded game 91....on first sight....it is no Huts visible, and 16 of 21 tiles are grassland...
    Huts are allways located 4 tiles East or West of any seeds, hidden or visible, depending on the formation.
    I will use two moves from my 2 Settles to make more tiles visible, depending on the outcome, I will find where the seeds are located.
    Other important point, the land mass where we are located, edges Longitud "0"...according to blackclicking, therefore finding the seeds will be an easier task, just need to find a Seed or a Hut to determine where they are.
    I will calculate the probable locations where the best " 4 " Seed starting locations may be tonight, and will post them tomorrow.

8. Banach

Banach Warlord

Oh that's totally do-able. Too bad I don't have time to sit around and hyper-grow forever.......I forget what my prior estimates on growth were, but . . . it can be way over that, especially if I go into freight overdrive and bribe like crazy. . . interesting.

9. Duke of Marlbrough

It's always fun to see when people will see some of the little things I do to these games. :D

10. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Warlord

I like that....you allways throw us a Curve Ball ....
    Whats on your wicked Mind this Time Duke ?? LOL
    I guess I will figure it out after a few turns...

Thanks for the Challenge.

11. Banach

Banach Warlord

We'll have to see if I have time for this one - I ran out of time for the last GOTM, largely due to obligations at work. It's so hard to get in a good landing game whne you're working 60-70 hours per week. I really want to push hyper-expansion after I get auto and see how much I can expand in the 25 or so turns afterwards before my ship lands.

12. LordValuna

LordValuna High Lord

Get ready.

I'm predicting a diety level game next month :eek:

13. Prof. Garfield

Ah, deity. More computer bonuses, bigger foreign cities and hopefully, therefore, halfway decent trading opportunities.

14. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Warlord

Deity...YES.
    Lets start the game on an isolated place, with no Palace.
    Unreachable by trireme...
    No Purple civ....and conquest by landing ??
    Maybe Duke can work on that for game 100....

15. Magic_gorter

Duke, I have computer problems right now and won't be able to finish the game before the sixth...is it ok to submit it little later?

16. Duke of Marlbrough

I also had computer problems as well. Sure, it's ok to submit late.

17. Magic_gorter

Thanks....I hope the problems are fixed today and I can finish the game on friday.

18. Peaster

Peaster Emperor

These numbers look pretty similar to ones Ali Ardavan posted. I agree with Banach that this growth rate is doable for a long long time, probably until you reach 255 cities, and get into Blue Star range.

But if you are playing for a Gold Star, you don't really have to focus on this growth rate. Mainly cuz few players compete for Gold. If you want Gold, you can aim for a 5% growth rate for about 100 turns, then switch to Democracy and aim for a 10% growth rate (or more) for about 10 more turns, or until you get tired of playing.

In my opinion, democracy-for-growth is boring. You are probably aware of players like Starlifter, Andu, DoM and myself who have run up large GOTM scores this way. But AFAIK no player has done it more than 10 times.

I'd suggest trying it, because it IS fun to do it a few times. But for myself, I've gotten more kicks from Early Conquest games. And it is quite possible to get Gold that way too.

19. Prof. Garfield

Yes, I found the formula later when I was reading through the extra pages of the Strategy thread. At first, I had only read the rules page.

20. Magic_gorter

My pc is back alife....had to delete everything and reinstall windows. Last weekend I installed all the programs I need and of course civII...so I try to finish as soon as possible this game.