1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTM and HOF

Discussion in 'CivBE - General Discussions' started by Bulla, Oct 31, 2016.

1. Bulla

Bulla Chieftain

Hi, I'm new to the site and I was just wondering why I don't see these for Beyond Earth?

2. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

Welcome to CivFanatics.

When we run GotM, we are looking for a stable software environment. CivBE has had numerous updates and changes and I'm still not sure it is in a state where we could run anything. Combine that with an apathy of the player base and we just haven't started one yet.

3. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

I'm not sure what you are referring to here, but BE is the most stable civ game I've played. And changes? If anything BE hasn't had nearly enough updates and changes...

I can't speak to multiplayer, which I believe still suffers from desync issues, albeit not nearly as bad as Civ V.

I'll give you the apathy of (most) of the player base, but I don't believe the software environment is an issue.

4. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

We try to operate an automated submission system where we can extract key data from the saves as they are uploaded, and use this to produce score and date tables. CivBE has a sufficiently different save file format from Civ5 that we can't just use what we have developed for Civ5.

For Civ5, we were limited in the data we could extract until Firaxis released the CvGameCoreDLL source code as part of the SDK, which gave us most of the data structures in the save. As far as I know they have not done this for CivBE, making it much more difficult to automate a submission system. Just one more barrier to running CivBE competitions.

5. legalizefreedom

legalizefreedom Inefficiency Expert

Understood.

The issue is the lack of software environment, not its instability.

Here's hoping they finish work on BE at some point including these types of things.

6. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

Is there a thriving modding community around BE? That's what would drive the release of the SDK. But if it hasn't happened by now I'm not going to hold my breath!