1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GotM and Patches

Discussion in 'Civ6 - Game Of The Month' started by misterjoshua, Nov 18, 2016.

1. misterjoshua

misterjoshua Chieftain

Hi

What is the GotM policy on patches. I'm currently half way through GotM1 and the patch releases last night. Should I wait before I update? Or can I patch now and carry on? Do I need to state this in my score? GotM2 started just a few days ago so I'd like to play that 'patched', but some people will have started already pre-patch.

Thanks

Josh

2. malmsteen_SVK

malmsteen_SVK Chieftain

yea....same question here.... i started pre-patched game.... now steam updated the game.... should i start again? ;)

3. WillowBrook

WillowBrook Lurker

I went ahead and played on with the patch, taking the risk that the game won't officially count. I plan to note what turn I was on when the patch was added.

(It wasn't obvious how to play without the patch and my playing time is limited, so I just took the bit of playing time available.)

4. AlanH

AlanH Mac addict, php monkey Moderator Hall of Fame Staff Supporter GOTM Staff

There's a suspicious tweet posted in the Mac Fall Patch thread suggesting that we could be waiting some time for the next Mac version patch. If that's true, and game play and AI behaviour are significantly changed, 6otm results will not be comparable for a while!

Last edited: Nov 18, 2016
  5. leif erikson

leif erikson Game of the Month Fanatic Administrator Supporter GOTM Staff

We ran into this with Civ V as well. There is little we can do about it as we are not told when patches are forthcoming. We will have to play with the patch and do the best we can. In your write-ups, please just tell us where you were in the game when the patch happens. Hopefully, none of the patches will break the saves and not allow us to play that save.

6. Acken

Acken Chieftain

Id suggest people to not care that much about the competitive aspect and just play. Between patches and bugs there is no reason to get worried about that. Just enjoy and try to learn new stuff.

I personally already played GOTM1 pre patch but cant submit because I used it to try different ideas so reloads etc. I also think I'll give it another try on patch 2.0 from the start to see the differences.

7. Acken

Acken Chieftain

The patch seems to :
    1. Remove most exploits I know (trade is fixed, no gold when selling).
    2. Make cavalry less powerful.
    3. Disable cutting down forests outside borders.

So GOTM will start to shape up :)

8. FeiLing

FeiLing Chieftain

Ah... a patch today? Very unfortunate with all these long lasting gotms we got last month. Seems like you can not delay the patch either if your game wasn't running while the patch was released (even when it is not downloaded yet).

Not sure what the changes are... maybe... maybe it's just to fix something with the launcher since that is brand new?

9. leif erikson

10. FeiLing

FeiLing Chieftain

ended up being 0 bytes according to steam, however the update link goes here: https://store.steampowered.com/news/?appids=289070 where it says this:

Launcher Update (12/5/18) Patch notes:
    • Added fix for launcher preventing Civilization V SDK - World Builder from working properly
    • Added fix for launcher not scaling properly on high resolution displays

11. leif erikson

12. kcd_swede

kcd_swede Jag är Viking!½ GOTM Staff

I can still play the 6oTM. It seems to only change the start screen so you get exposed to some Steam advertising BS.