GOTM Military Victory - fast

Callahan

Chieftain
I managed to win the GOTM through use of military force in (what was to me) a shockingly short time.

I gotta say... Immortals are pretty nasty early on, but swordsmen can give them a good run for their money, so I don't think they're unbalanced... maybe powerful ancient units are a bit extra advantage on small maps like this where it's apt to be a quick game.

I think a major factor that contributed to my success was that I managed to get a bonus settler out of the barbarian village closest to my capital on like the 3rd or 4th turn. The extra starting city was a huge bonus, and it gave me a good place from which to pump out immortals.

I definitely made some mistakes, including trying to save time on transshipping my forces over to the american/iroquois island by taking a more direct route instead of island-hopping with my galleys (glug...glug...glug...treacherous waters), as well as neglecting to start cracking the whip as early and as often as I perhaps should have.

Good luck to everyone else competing in the GOTM.
:groucho:

What score and what rating u had with that type of play? just want to compare my type of play ( score winning at 2050 ) and yours..

I thought it was recommended NOT to reveal score/etc. until afterwards.

I think it was a good score; it was certainly my highest score to date in playing Civ (though I have only played a coupla dozen games, and few played through to the win).

I'm pretty sure that you get a bonus for finishing/winning early though.

Indeed you might better not reveal your score, except in the spoiler thread (where we people can expect thus avoid such info). But you can always PM each other if you like. ;)

Well that GOTM officially sucked for me:cry:

I am definitely going to finish the next GOTM before I start reading any of the forum threads, I had read that the military search and destroy tactic was by far the best using the wondefully efficient immortals, so that is what i did, I got a great score, even though i made many screw ups.

But it simply was too easy and wasn't fun, I really would have preferred to get a lesser score, and be proud of what i achieved. Unfortunately I am also a competitive person, so had to use the tactic that was mentioned as being far superior, It would be good if the CIV people could have not made the bonus for finishing early so ridiculously high.

Oh well atleast I finished it on time, lucky america is a day behind me :D

early conquest certainly rules for scoring high, but holds no great strategic skill.:o

Top Bottom