1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

[GotM] September 2013

Discussion in 'Civ4Col - Creation & Customization' started by Stoepsel, Aug 25, 2013.

1. Stoepsel

Stoepsel Chieftain

Welcome to the "Game of the Month - September 2013" for Colonization!

Money does not stink!

...or does it? This month you have to become rich - after all stinking rich:

Link to video.

Spoiler :
    John J. Astor, John D. Rockefeller, Bill Gates ... the list of those who have made it to America's richest men of their time is long. In the Game of the Month of September you are going to walk in their paths.

In the year of our Lord 1621 you've been equipped and instructed by the Dutch West India Company to head for the New World. Once there, you are entitled on behalf of the Dutch king to claim all estates that you can get hold of. You are allowed to independently manage and exploit this country. Search for the treasures that this new continent holds, gather its valuable raw materials and manufacture fine goods for the homeland market. Increase your profits, letting them shoot through the roof - but consider that your king will demand his share.

However, do not forget that the New World also carries risks. It is said, savages live there, who aren't God-fearing. You are on your own in this wilderness, neither the Crown nor the West India Company will provide you with more money unless you earn it through business. Yet another thing: it is known that other European nations also plan to settle there. Do not be buy the cutting! If only one of these foreign colonies develop into a sovereign state and wins its war of independence before you reach your goal, the homeland market will crash - and your efforts will be for nothing!

Don't disappoint your clients but seize the chance to become the richest man in the world.
    • The one who's account reaches $ 100,000 in the fewest turns wins this game
    • If another nation calls out its independence, the game is lost

The game is played as usual with our German community modification TAC 2.03_final ("The Authentic Colonization").
    This game of the month ends on September, 30th.
    Before you get started, please inform yourself about our entry rules and code of conduct.​

Good business, Mijnheer!

2. Stoepsel

Stoepsel Chieftain

Maybe the challange of this month is more difficult than it seems to be. So if there is anybody who lost his first attempt, a second try will exceptionally be accepted. There are some days left. ;)

3. Will The Viking

Will The Viking Chieftain

Thanks again for a great GotM! There doesn't seem to be a spoiler thread this month, but since it's the end of the month and I've just emailed my files, I thought I'd share my process for the game and see if others agree/disagree.

Spoiler :
    The Strategy: It's clearly all about money, and the quickest way to make money is going to be silver and guns, so everything I did was focused on getting as much as possible of those goods. Expanding for the sake of it would be a waste of cash, so focusing everything on valuable production will be key. Once I'd seen some of the map it was clear that tobacco and cigars would also be useful, but only as secondary goods. I'm interested on other's views on guns, as they take a large resource chain to build, but silver always devalues quickly, so I couldn't just rely on it.

The Business Case: There was always going to be a balance between spending money on expanding (and so building a greater longer term income) and halting expansion to use that income to build the bank balance up. The secret is working out where that sweet spot is. Or rather, every time you wish to spend some money, deciding if it is worth doing so in the long run. The equation works something like this:

($100,000-current bank balance) / (total income per turn x (1-tax rate)) = number of turns left to win

Therefore, lets say you want to buy a master tobacconist for $1200, if your maths says there are 50 turns left and he will produce 6 cigars/turn at $11/cigar and 10% tax that means he is worth ($6x11) x .9 x 50 = ~$3000 over the rest of the game. $3000>$1200. So he's clearly a good investment. If you are later in the game when there are only 25 turns left then no. And of course you might need an expert farmer to support him, tax rates will go up, cigar prices go down, etc, etc. So it's complicated, especially if your supply chain isn't up to the job of selling everything you make, as you then lose money on lost goods. But that's the basic idea. I used a tax rate of 20% for the maths, as I thought it would be about the mean tax rate for the game, and devalued the price of the goods to be sold by $2 to factor in devaluation - not sure if I was right.

Silver plummeted once I was at peak production, and I didn't factor than enough. I also sold guns to the natives at a massive mark up a couple of times which must have saved me a turn or too. Losing a galleon was a big hit - £3000 odd to replace it - but without the transport you really start losing money in lost goods.

War: The second question is whether you are going for an early war or a late war with the natives. As I started next to Logan (I assume everyone will have done the same) it was always going to happen. I didn't want a big army as it would represented wasted money both in terms of guns I could have sold and cash spent on cannons. I also didn't want to expand any further than totally necessary due to the return on investment equation above meaning small is beautiful. So I decided to go for an early war to clear away enough space to be able to live peacefully.

Actually, once I had done that I realised I had earned a bit of cash through the war and I also had some cannons and soldiers that were sitting idle. So, being the war monger I am (and also aware that if one of the other nations declared independence I would lose) I went on a war of extermination against Logan and then rather randomly invaded New France. Not sure I made a huge profit but it passed the time :)

Other events: Pirates were annoying - I lost a couple of galleons that cost me a few turns. The natives to the south were friendly, so I sold them plenty of guns and routed all my treasure caravans south through them to avoid Logan. It took longer (in which time the tax rate went up slightly) but I was in no hurry and I valued safety over speed. I estimated I was making about $1000 per turn from my industry, so each large treasure saved me almost a turn.

One thing I didn't do was buy any priests or use crosses to get more people. Someone else might have tried that as a cheaper method of building population in place of buying them from Europe. That would save a lot of money and might have finished the game sooner. Also an active strategy of selling more to the natives might have helped. Or perhaps going to war with them in the south for more gold?

Finally, on my last turn I stopped in the village Logan has on the island (which I never attacked as it seemed pointless) and sold a job lot of guns to him at a massive and unexpected profit. I was left on something like $99,996. I then realised I had a galleon in Europe which I could sell for $1000 or so, which pushed me over. If I had though of this I would have dumped guns on Logan a few turns earlier and then sold my fleet, shaving another couple of turns off. Just shows there is always a bit more you can do!

Guys, thanks for a great game!

4. Stoepsel

Stoepsel Chieftain

To make it short: this month we unfortunately had the lowest number of savegames received: two. We also know of some players that lost their games.

But we are very pleased about the two special participants who solved the task.

On the one hand it is our Mister Reliable, a GotM-Hero and the winner of the GotM September:

Again, Congratulations Will The Viking! :king: :worship:

On the other hand it is very nice to welcome a new participant, and he made his first score. Well done, stillontheedge! :goodjob:

That means Will's advance rises:

Please notice that the GotM started at civforum.de one month earlier. The best 6 results of each participant will be counted in the annual score.

Lots of thanks to everyone who had a try at this challenge. :goodjob: Please try again our next Game of the Month if you like. Good luck!

@Will:
    You are managing the games pretty smart and you are analysing the situations exactly. Your maths look reasonable, are you an economist? It seems to be hard to knock you off the top. :D

Attached Files:

5. Tigranes

Tigranes Armenian

So, what happened? Just because only 2 people have submitted saves no October game is offered? GotM initiative is over?

6. Stoepsel

Stoepsel Chieftain

Don't worry, the October GotM will come up soon. :)

One reason of our delay is a technical problem, because we want to deliver a Youtube-Video as usual. The other reason is the release of our first official TAC add-on, which also was concerned by the technical problem. This add-on will be needed for the October challenge. The German GotM-version has been released recently, the English version is a work in progress just now.

7. stillontheedge

stillontheedge Chieftain

I'm glad to see that it is just a technical issue holding up the next challenge. For a short time, I thought I had scared everyone away...:eek:

8. Will The Viking

Will The Viking Chieftain

Looking forward to it with baited breath :)