GOTM15 for wimps?

Discussion in 'Civ4 - Game of the Month' started by dalamb, Feb 4, 2007.

?

Should Noble-level players try this Deity-level GOTM?

1. No - it's just an exercise in frustration

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  2. No - you might learn something but it's not worth the pain

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. Yes - you'll likely learn enough for it to be worth it

33 vote(s)
    64.7%
  4. Yes - even if you lose, you finish a game and get a few points

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  1. dalamb

dalamb Deity

I have only recently started playing at Noble level. Is there any point in my trying this Deity level game, or is that just a prescription for frustration?

2. Jenarie

Jenarie Prince

I think that if you play at least for a little while you'll understand the discussions better once the spoiler threads open and will be able to learn more from them then if you just read them without having played.

I'd be playing every game but I lost my vanilla disc when I moved so can only play Warlords games atm.

I think it depends on your goal. If you want to win, I'd skip it. If you are using GOTM as a learning tool to improve your game I'd play it even if the game is very short.

3. warezfan

warezfan Chieftain

Frustration definitely, you won't learn much apart from how hard deity is. :D

4. civ_steve

civ_steve Deity Retired Moderator GOTM Staff

By all means you should try it, and submit your first result. Will it be gruesome? Oh yessss! :D But I suspect you will have plenty of company.

After you submit, you should go back and try just a few things differently and see how you can improve your opening game. Even if the improvement is slight, imagine how much better a Noble game will play for you if you learn a few things from this Deity game! (I already am compiling a list for myself of things I want to try later to see how I can make the initial situation better, and if I can do that for as bad as my game is going ... it will be a substantial improvement!)

5. 7Losses

7Losses Chieftain

Definately frustration. I've tried it 3 times already..

6. DocSOG

DocSOG Chieftain

Lurked in & out of these forums on and off for the past 6 months. Just joined 2 mins ago and this is the first post. Played Civ4 on Noble since it came out pretty much so I'm gonna give this a go and see how badly I get burnt ...

Just downloaded it now.. Lets see if I make 1000BC in one piece :|

Nick

7. Khalid

Khalid Warlord

I would definitely try it. Maybe read some deity guides on the strategy and tips forum and follow the basic advice. Watch out for barbs, focus on military.

Or try setting some moderate goals like I did. Raze 1 enemy city ;)

8. Balbes

Balbes Instigator

I don't think this game will be short. To the contrary, games on lower levels are usually short because you win quickly. But here the struggle can go on for quite some time.

9. ewokimpi

ewokimpi A Tribal Force

So true. I belong to the play it to the bitter end, fight like a tiger, make them beat you school. In only one GOTM have I been overwhelmed early, due to crass stupidity on my part. Usually loses take forever to play out. But you learn more that way.

Make a practice map yourself, and play it through long enough to be able to select a better opening. That helps you last longer. :)

10. dalamb

dalamb Deity

I've seen people refer to practce maps. I presume that's mostly just the same game settings; do I edit the map to make the initial position look like what's visible, or just go with whatever is generated?

11. ewokimpi

ewokimpi A Tribal Force

It is useful to use the worldbuilder to create a map that includes the same bonuses/terrain as the screenshot. The exact shape of the terrain, is, I think, less important. It is also useful to generate a number of maps, just to get a notion of what this particular kind of map looks like.

Usually someone will produce and post in the pre-game tread a map that is an exact likeness of what we can see from the screen shot. You can download those maps, if you like.

I generally create my own practice game, making sure the the tiles included on the map have the same bonuses/terrain as the screen shot, but do not go to the extra effort of bending the terrain into the exact shape shown in the screen shot.

The important thing for me, is to generate a reasonable opening (a la chess) and get a flavor of how the map will play, i. e., how Barbs are, how the AI's do on this map, when the wonders get done and religions are founded, etc.