GOTM45 spoiler thread

la fayette

King
What an island :crazyeye:
The game is at prince level , but the island is deity+ :lol:

IMO any civ2 player (even if he or she is not a regular GOTM player) should have a try at playing the first 50 turns on this island: it would be both fun and rewarding in terms of better gameplay.

La Fayette,

I admire your attitude! For thousands of years, my poor Germans were just swatting mosquitos. Then they sailed to other lands, where they found bigger mosquitos. It will be interesting to see if anyone can find a reasonable opening strategy for this map (such as - move to the south pole where the terrain is better - lol). If you can do that, you will probably win. Good luck!

Peaster said:
La Fayette,
It will be interesting to see if anyone can find a reasonable opening strategy for this map (such as - move to the south pole where the terrain is better - lol).

Well, I didn't move (except one city on the tiny island nearby) and I had the feeling to be growing very slowly almost until 1AD, but my settlers were busy like bees and finally the island began to look like some kind of 'normal' island with 6 cities onboard.
I built Marco, Mike, Magellan and SunTzu and conquered almost the entire world before 1000AD (with help of many Frigates).
But respawning was VERY active in my game (probably more than 20 respawns :D ) and I finished 'somewhat' later.

LaF - Sounds a lot like my game except for minor details -

a) HG seemed enough to me, without Mike's, since it is Prince level.
b) You sound fairly cheerful about the whole thing. :)
c) The Russians beat me to GW, and fortified with pikemen. Errrgh.
d) Luckily, the first 5 civs did not respawn. The 6th did, twice.
e) I had metallurgy at the end, but didn't build any cannons.

Maybe I built built Pyr's too (?). I finished a little after 1000ad. Feeling that I was hopelessly slow getting started, I didn't make a real log (4000bc SWAT! 3950bc SWAT! ...) or bother driving up the score.

How did you begin? Making several cities, irrigating, mining? I tipped huts (2 archers) and made 4 pathetic cities. Then I worked the land, but this seemed very very slow. At least the specials helped with science (for mapmaking/triremes/exit).

@sezon: Enoy your first gotm! GOTM44 was my first, and I thought that map was tough. But this one makes 44 look easy. :)

Salut,

Je voudrais savoir, si je marque quelque chose ne français, on me comprendra ou pas ?? (histoire de savoir si je peux écrire en français parce que je ne suis pas sure que l'on comprenne mon anglais. :D

Merci

The russians beat me to AC by two years(1983 vs 1985). I should have started the SS a bit earlier, and built more components. I build a super city and one pathetic helper.

Hello

It's my second GOTM, beside this one, the GOTM 44 it was so easy (c'était une partie de plaisirs :D ). excuse for my english but i'm bad. :nuke:
i've build 5 cities in the island of the departure and build quickly two wonder, Marco and handing garden.
The russians is a last civilization who was destroy because he was build a great wall. (no, i've kill the sioux with my sail because it was not used for nothing. i finished between 1000 and 1500 AD without using the south pole :) . But it's not a bad idea

:lol: .

geofelt - I don't know much about EL games, but that sounds like awfully bad luck. My condolences.

I played till 400AD this morning. I am playing OCC at the 4 special site right by the hut. The first two huts gave me an Archer (second one supported); the third one was empty, a rare occurrence. I disbanded the supported Archer after rush buying a settler to 20 shields and got a settler before going to size 2. Of course, at this point my city stopped growing while I was changing the city site to grassland. I used the opportunity to get another settler right before getting to size 2. I was a little hesitant at first about getting the second settler. In retrospect, it is the best decision I have made in this game.

Marco was built before 1AD and brought me alliance with all but Zulu who are fighting Indians and thus I cannot befriend them both.

Since 1AD Colossus and Copernicus have been built. Berlin is size 9 and has marketplace, library and university. I just left my island for the first time with 2 hides caravan heading for America.

KingFarmerLand said:
Salut,
Je voudrais savoir, si je marque quelque chose ne français, on me comprendra ou pas ?? (histoire de savoir si je peux écrire en français parce que je ne suis pas sure que l'on comprenne mon anglais. :D
Merci

Moi, je comprendrai :)
Mais je ne suis pas du tout sûr qu'il y en ait beaucoup d'autres...

Merci La fayette.
J'ai marqué un truc en anglais, ca veut dire quelques choses ?? ya pas tro de fautes ??

Sur le meme bord mystérieux (mais un peu plus au nord). :)

la fayette said:
Moi, je comprendrai :)
Mais je ne suis pas du tout sûr qu'il y en ait beaucoup d'autres...

Peut-etre pas beaucoup, mais quelques-uns! :)
But certainly most players would appreciate english. If it comes with a few mistakes, so what? Never mind.

This island is indeed a nice challenge. I couldn´t resist and will try a (not so early) Landing. Nice idea, DoM!

Zenon

Well, I love it: small islands (big enough for only 3-5 cities) with extensive rivers (so my 3-4 key cities can all be founded on rivers, which I will subsequently convert to mined hills - a use that, in itself, is comparable to yet another special). I only wish I'd gotten one of those rivered peat specials, like the Russians have on their island.

I am currently around 1550 a.d. and doing alright, by my standards. I got three archers from huts before founding my first settlement (whoopie! my preferred result is always NONE units) put up three cities at the end points of the rivers (slight overlap among them, including one tile shared by all three). Got MPE and Col., formed alliances with just about everyone, the usual stuff. Did NOT get Magellan's (Russians got it) - lost it in a multi-wonder race. On this map, that was a mistake. If I had it to do over again (and I may do it over again after the GOTM submission), I would go for early navigation and magellans, so: early republic (although the extra food consumption is problematic on a map like this), trade, astronomy (Cope's), and navigation, in that order.

Are you going to disclose our map benefactor?

I would just love for them to create maps like this for me to use in my D+1 games. :D
(Again, after the GOTM is submitted, I will probably use this map for such games. The computer just doesn't know how to give me what I want . . . .)

You guys really like the map ?? :eek:

It did provoke me to replay the openign a few different ways, and find a substitute for ICS. In case our devious-but-nice moderator does this again :mischief:.

What I find intriguing is that so few who have posted thus far in the spoiler thread have played an OCC... I did... I found the Island too obviously designed for an OCC, and it was a Prince game, to do anything else. :)

Cheers!

Top Bottom