1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm45

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Oct 1, 2004.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Game of the Month #45 (October 2004)

The game settings
    Helmut of Germans
    Prince difficulty
    Restless Tribes
    7 civs, Restarts On
    Map 80x120 (XLg), Round

Starting Techs
    - Alphabet
    - BronzeWorking
    - Pottery

ONE RULE: HUMAN CANNOT BUILD LIGHTHOUSE!

The huge "dark" carbonaceous asteroid had been detected too late to raise more than a token warning. Impact in the South Pacific had not spared the world's population very long. Tsunamis over three miles high spread out from the impact point, destroying much of the world's coastlines as they circled the globe repeatedly. Vast tectonic plate heaving only heightened the displacement of the world's oceans. Continental plates were tossed around like toy boats on a viscous sea of roiled magma.

With only hours to flee, little stockpiling of supplies or equipment was possible. Left over from forgotten Cold War tensions, the redoubt in the Alps was one of fewer than a dozen that had been fully hardened to withstand direct nuclear attack and stocked with antiquated supplies of food, water and fuel. Little thought had been given to the issues of rebuilding after everything above the surface had been wiped away. At least they had a generous supply of geiger counters and iodine tablets...

The first sight of the world outside had shocked everyone. Suspicions about cataclysmic geophysical change were proven correct. Sea levels had risen hundreds of feet, which meant the melting of the ice caps was a foregone conclusion. Atmospheric measurements showed significant increase in water vapor and CO2 concentrations, fueling higher global temperatures and solar "heat trapping". Aside from a freedom from worry about sunburn on their white, pasty skin, about the only thing in their favor right now was that plant life was growing unbelievably outside.

Within hours of the impact of the asteroid, mountaintop satellite and radio antennae had been wiped away, breaking communications with the rest of the world. For weeks the little band of Germans wondered whether they were the only group to survive, but once the waves died down a long range radio antenna was strung on the summit that lasted long enough to make contact with roughly a half dozen other groups of survivors scattered around the globe. The problem now was electrical power and replacement parts. With power rationed in the main bunker to only a few hours a day, little could be spared for more attempts at coaxing the last working transmitter back to life. The jury-rigged electrical welder was far more important to their survival right now.

Direktor Helmut shook his head as he contemplated what his chief advisor had warned just last night. "We are not quite back to the Stone Age, Helmut, but we are going to have to work very hard to keep ourselves out of the Bronze Age." With hard work and ingenuity the redoubt could be turned into a gold mine of remanufactured items, and indications were that some useful items might be salvaged from the twisted remains of their former homes nearby.

His reply rang in his ears: "Civilization as we knew it will just have to start over".

Games are due November 6th.

NOTE: New rule changes are in effect starting with GOTM 45.
    http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmrules.shtml

2. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Am I missing something? Where is the savgame file?

3. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

Since there are rule changes, everyone has to go through that page first. That way no one can say they didn't know the rules have changed :D

4. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

This map is really frustrating for an ICS player like me, but I'll save the details for the spoiler thread.

I played a short practice game on Prince level (different map) and noticed it started at 20 years per turn. But when I started the actual game, it was 50 years per turn. Is that because of the XLG map ?

I've had no restarts so far (0/2), which also seems a little unusual, but I'm not complaining. Well, not about that, anyway.

5. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Alright. Now I've got it. Thanks Duke.

6. sezoN

sezoN Chieftain

Nice game Duke :) I've hope that my debut will be fair good. :D Now I'm going to download save.

7. Fundamentality

Fundamentality WEE A PLANE!!!

Got it Duke

8. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

Map Analysis revealed a 4 special site next to the hut. Given the special restriction of no lighthouse (implying a small island and not much land nearby) the decision to go OCC was a quick one for me.

9. Erasmus Wembley

Erasmus Wembley Chieftain

Duke, is there any way to get this older game? Going through the rules page, you can only get GOTM 46. I missed GOTM 45 and it looks interesting.

10. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Here's a copy of the starting SAV:

(this should eventually get posted in the Results or Archive pages)

11. Erasmus Wembley

Erasmus Wembley Chieftain

Thanks, ElephantU.