GOTM5 Practice Games

doyen

Chieftain
Here are the five practice games this month. Feedback is appreciated. I'm trying to figure out an appropriate number of maps. Last month I did ten. Should I do five more this month, or is five sufficient?

I know I used all ten last month.
Five is probably adequate this month? Ten would always be nice.
Either way thanks a bunch doyen. :goodjob:

Thanks very much, Doyen!
Unfortunately, there are a few differences in the actual starting position: The eastern hill is desert not plain, and I'm almost sure there are at least 3 desert tiles south and west, while most of the territory north and east looks more like plain than grassland to me. Also, the forest south of the mountain seems to be a plain hill...and I doubt there will be much livestock around in the actual savegame.

All those details aren't very important, but I prefer my testgames to simulate the worst case scenario.

I used all ten last month, but I agree with Ljdjr that 5 is enough for this game. The more difficult the game, the more I practice.

Anyway thanks for the time invested in making the starts.:D

Doh!! Thanks for pointing that out, Karmina. Somehow I managed to end up thinking that both hills were plains hills. Sorry about that. I didn't know what was in the SE dark corner, but I guessed that the two southmost tiles from east to west were desert, and the two eastmost tiles were floodplains. It was just my best guess though. I'm a bit busy this month, but if I get a chance I'll redo these maps and make a few more.

If anyone else catches any mistakes, please point them out.

Thanks for preparing and posting these, Doyen. I played all ten last month, some several times, and plan to play all of them this month as well.

thanks, this should give me a better practice strat than the one I had yesterday randomly lol, I started out in what I assume were the ozarks...massive grasslands and forests all around me with a number of hills as well.

thanks doyen, I find them to be very helpful in exploring what is possible and what is not at these gotm settings.

Thanks for creating these.
This will be my first go at GOTM, so some practice beforehand will be a nice help!

Thx Doyen!

My testing results: You can archive a military victory before 0 AD easily if you has chopper or iron. But the main question of course is how to max your score. I'm very interested which strtegy will get the highscore.

Best regards, emork.

I highly doubt we'll get bronze or iron anywhere near our starting position...but if we do, I'm gonna be trying to conquer the world as fast as possible...perhaps I'll finally break my builders mentality! :D

Thx, five to five done :)
Have you edited the huts?
Only in one game I had two settlers, in the other only gold (a LOT of it) and techs.

Cossacks seem to be useless (too overpowered on this level), better simple knights.

Emork how can you reach domination in 0 AD without forest like in this starting position? Even if you move your settler eight squares to the west is near impossible to do it, u find your opponents there ?!?

Turkish Guy:
My score was around 71 000. I did fast games without caring about maximizing points. But i don't think I could have reached significant more points without changing to a milking game style.

Tauro:
In most of the games I found a settler. All my workers I got from the AI. I produced one settler at maximum, all other production was going into maceman.

Regards, emork.

Ljdjr said:
I know I used all ten last month.
Five is probably adequate this month? Ten would always be nice.
Either way thanks a bunch doyen. :goodjob:

Exactly the same for me. Thanks doyen! :)

eMork said:
Turkish Guy:
My score was around 71 000. I did fast games without caring about maximizing points. But i don't think I could have reached significant more points without changing to a milking game style.

i think you should milk the game.or fast finish with short milking.;)

I'm glad these seem to be useful to people. Next month I'll do ten again. I appreciate all the feedback. I'm especially glad when people talk about the strategies they use during the practice games. It helps me with my own game.

Top Bottom