1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Gotm53

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Duke of Marlbrough, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Duke of Marlbrough

Duke of Marlbrough The Quiet Moderator Retired Moderator

2. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

OCC Report:
    But for the lack of ocean access, that looks like a great starting location for an OCC. The hut location implies that there should be another 4-special location to the north-east, and a quick black-click confirms there is land there, as well as ocean access. The eastern Whale and Silk would fall within the second city's radius, with another offshore Whale and a fourth Whale-type land special in the black. The river under the Wheat is another possibility - it seems to go southward, where another city location that spans 3 specials (Wheat, Spice, and some Whale-land in the black) is unfortunately landlocked. The same goes for the other 3-special location northeast of that.

An alternative idea would be to use the band of Whale specials to play this as a strong Early Landing game, with the bonus of two free techs. Monarchy can be achieved in four techs, or Republic in six, with Trade on the seventh either way. Then again, PolyTheism can be discovered on the second tech...

3. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

Now, why would anyone want to do a thing like that. :mischief:

BTW: do we know what level, or is that part of the mystery?

4. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

As soon as you load you see Emperor difficulty, and Raging Hordes for Barbs (+25VP). No idea on Restarts. The two Settlers are cream with the sugar.

5. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

I wonder how many civs there are out there? Is it legal to "retire", to get a look at the power graph? If not, I guess the demo screen and top 5 screen will give us some clues pretty soon.

BTW - Raging Hordes is just +25 ?

6. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Chieftain

Just been studiying the Map for the last 20 minutes.
    Deducting from 40.34 ( Whale )as the A Point and 42.38= F( Whales ) and 44.32 =G ( Whales )and 46.36 = H ( Spice ) I can deduct that is 4 more special nearby.
    B= 42.28 C= 48.30 D= 50.34 E= 48.40 , they are all in a NortWEST Pattern.
    Axis Pointing NW is made by 48.30 , 48.40 , 44.32 , 46.36.
    Also Seeds of the ( opposite pattern ) are: North at 43.21 and 49.23 ...calculating from from Points A and F ..and South ( calculating fron D and C ) should be at 47.47 and 41.45.
    Have not search the Hut yet but that will be a big factor depending what I get. I am considering building the first city at 42.24.....And keep the second settlets as NONE , this is just Empereor Level. LOve to find the spot where all the Barbarians will show...so I can place a trireme and a Diplomat and buy their ships !!
    I will find it eventually.....
    Well LETS get the games Beguin !!!!!!!! Good Luck everyone !!!!
    How many other Civs ?? Are restarts On or off ?? How do we know if this is simplify combat ???

7. Old n Slow

Old n Slow Chieftain

I can see that as a future GOTM setting -- a start is posted and we DON'T have beginning information... ;)

8. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

Things you can see from opening and a little black-clicking:
    - Difficulty level
    - Barb level
    - Size of Map
    - Round or Flat
    - Scenario setting
    - Other civs that have founded first city (not if you are White)
    - Rough size of starting island/continent (depending on how much black-clicking you are willing to do)
    - Latitude & proximity to "dateline"
    - Starting/free techs
    - Some idea of resource patterns, depending on visible specials and huts

What you cannot find out before playing:
    - Map creation settings (random/custom, age, water/land ratio, islands/continents ratio, etc)
    - Number of other civs
    - Colors of missing civs
    -Starting locations of other civs
    - Other civ's starting techs
    - Restarts on/off

9. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

I don't know if that is explicitly prohibited, but it seems like an extension of the "no reloads" prohibition. It certainly seems wrong to me, and when the Mod leaves out starting info I consider that part of the unknown to discover myself. As I listed, though, there are not a whole lot of unknowns anyway, depending on your attitude toward black-clicking. Aside from looking for a decent OCC spot, I am leaning increasingly away from it. I do like to make some sort of "how I'll play this" decision before starting - sometimes "whether I'll play this" based on size of map and difficulties.

10. ElephantU

ElephantU Chieftain

When the Mod does not say, we are left to discover for ourselves.

As to the last question, I think Duke is going to be haunted by that one for a long time...

11. Stegyre

Stegyre Expatriate

And of course, one final question: as this is a member supplied game, will we be seeing the Duke among the participants?
    (From the mod's perspective, isn't that one of the principal advantages of member-supplied game?)

12. URUWASHI

URUWASHI Chieftain

Considering the size of our starting Continent, and considering that we are playing emperor level , the continent will hold about 4 to 5 cities.
    I built 5 " Key " Cities and 3 Barrack Cities .
    Key Cities only focus in Wonders and building an infrastructure..while the Barracks cities just will produce a Barrack , armies and Settlers, they will support the Armies and Settlers from the other 5 or 6 KEY Cities
    ...after the discovery of Gunpowder..I will desmante the Barracks Cities...when and before that happens ... I will relocate all the units from those cities into new cities .....
    I am counting on having 10 cities by 1 AD , and at least 4 wonders, maybe 6 by 1 AD ( Marco , Library , Pyramids , Lighthouse and maybe the Wall are essential )............Getting there........
    My goal is to build 14 TRiremes ...7 going East..7 West.......Working on that
    Each force ( of the 14 units per ARmada ) will be made of 9 Elephants/Crusaders. 3 Diplomats , 1 Caravan and one Explorer.

Great Challenge !!!!

13. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I am the one who supplied this map. I hope Duke does not mind me saying this.

I have been away for a couple of months. Two trips, and then a death in my immediate family left no time for anything else even checking Email regularly. I am not back to normal yet, but obviously getting there given that I am checking in here.

My intent for this game was for the map to be known at the begining. Duke has not metioned that. I do not know if that was intentional or an oversight.

Anyways, I can provide a lot more detail once Duke gives the green light.

14. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

@ URUWASHI: The Spoiler thread is the best place to talk about your game. People who have finished most of their game can go there to compare notes.

@ Ali: Sorry to hear about your loss. I hope to see you back with us soon.

I suppose several players have already started the game, and I am done. Would your comments give later starters an advantage ?

15. Duke of Marlbrough

You can give as much verbal description as you want, but the idea behind how you wanted the map to be revealed was intentionally passed on.

16. Ali Ardavan

It would, but only in determining the player's strategy. For players like yourself who always try the same strategy (early conquest in your case) the difference is minute. That is why I wanted to get a green light from Duke first. Otherwise info like the number of civs, ... is routinely revealed.

The map is custom designed from scratch; including the starting location of every single civ. It is not like anything you will ever get from the random map generator. The world is round. The rules are standard. There are 7 civs. Restarts are on.

At this point I would like to tell you more about the geography of the world, but I am not sure if Duke's permission really goes that far. So I wait for a second green light. But I will say this. As our most frequent OCC player (ElephantU) has already alluded to, do not try OCC here. An early landing with a small number of cities is a much better choice. You could determine as much by black clicking around the starting location. One more thing you could also determine from extensive black clicking: there is no land within the reach of a trireme around your home island.

17. Duke of Marlbrough

Yep. You can give as much verbal description as you want. We just don't to spoil the game and give away too much information about how it is set up. For some players, exploring the map is part of the fun of playing.

I'll leave it up to you how much information is too much information.

18. Ali Ardavan

Very well said Duke. Thanks. I am going to reveal the geography in words, but only for those who care to know about the map apriori. I will put this info in the spoiler thread which has very few posts with very little info so far. Thus anyone can go there without fear of spoiling the game too much. This info will only help you choose your strategy.

19. Ksiaze

Ksiaze Chieftain

I have one question, what's mean "Restarts on/off" ?

20. TimTheEnchanter

TimTheEnchanter I...am...an Enchanter!

Whether or not a new civ is spawned (restarted) when you eliminate one.