Gotm59

Duke of Marlbrough

The Quiet Moderator
Retired Moderator
So that everyone can have more time for the holidays here's a basic little game for you. Build up your strength for the milestone GOTM 60 next month.... you'll need it.

The game settings
Difficulty: Warlord
Barbs: Roving Bands
Restarts: Off
Map: 45x65, Customized
Human Civ: English

Starting Techs
- Alphabet
- Bronze Working
- Pottery

Saved game:
http://civ2gotm.civfanatics.net/civ2gotmdownload_59.shtml

Games are due January 7th, 2006.

This is mediocre at best for OCC.

Resource seed is 60. The starting location has no hidden specials. There are two 3 special sites nearby, but one is on the forest you see and another on unseen land.

Duke has not told us how many civs are in the game. So far, from the top 5 cities, only Russians are in. It is highly unlikely that this is a 7-civ game. On top of all that restarts are off.

Actually, doing a little map analysis shows the resource seed is 44. 60 would put a hut on the grass between our settler and the trees. But there should be two more huts in the black north of us.

Of more interest might be the 4-special sites to the east 5-7 spaces from our start. The one due east should be on the ocean, with a Whale, a Fish, and one each land special. This far south, though, there is a strong chance of cold terrain (tundra/glacier).

The single starting settler is a bigger handicap to a good OCC, since the Russians are White which is your KeyCiv for most of the game. A small map does make fewer civs likely. The island does not seem small, so there is a chance one of the civs might be on it, and a critical-path RR trade route to another civ's city can greatly increase your city's trade arrows.

The starting techs are worth commenting on as well. Three techs that include Alphabet means we can choose CerBur and CodeLaws as our first two, but Monarchy will be hidden on the third round. If you choose Currency then, you can get Monarchy on the fourth and Trade on the fifth. Pottery is the kicker - it skews the commodities supplies toward salt, which is usually hard to find demand for.

Then again, if you just want to go conquering you can do Horse first, get Monarchy on the 4th round, Maps on the fifth and PT on the sixth. What more would you need?

ElephantU said:
Actually, doing a little map analysis shows the resource seed is 44. 60 would put a hut on the grass between our settler and the trees.
I just double checked and 60 it is. It is 44 that puts a hut between the settler and the forest.
ElephantU said:
Of more interest might be the 4-special sites to the east 5-7 spaces from our start. The one due east should be on the ocean, with a Whale, a Fish, and one each land special. This far south, though, there is a strong chance of cold terrain (tundra/glacier).
True, there are a couple of them 4-special sites to our east but they are more than 5 spaces away. I consider that too much. Besides you do not know what the city tile is like till you get there; jungle, swamp, or glacier would be major set back. Not to mention the fact that the specials may be grass covered.
ElephantU said:
the Russians are White which is your KeyCiv for most of the game.
Only if there are 7 civs, which as I pointed out is highly unlikely. If there are six the lowest possible power rating would be weak and the Russians would not be any one's key civ ever.

My Crystal Ball of Conquest predicts a Green Star for Grigor in 500BC.

Ali Ardavan said:
I just double checked and 60 it is. It is 44 that puts a hut between the settler and the forest.

Argh. I forgot the first rule of map analysis - divide the X coordinate in half. And since our starting location was X=16, AND since the patterns shift horizontally by exactly 8 tiles, I was starting at (16,60) rather than (8,60) and got the 44 seed rather than the 60. :wallbash:

Thanks for correcting me... :spank:

I have not started yet, but I'd probably head for the line of huts first to see if I could get some mercenaries. By that time the number and color of civs should be clearer and I will decide whether to OCC. I don't consider less than 10 turns spent exploring to be a major handicap if it gets me to a better place to build my first city. At the very least, I know now there should be more Whales offshore to the east, which I'd prefer to a Whale and a Fish.

I think I'll have a go at this. I haven't played CivII for a while, but it looks like a good one to have a go at. I'll expect to be last of course, but I'll try not to be too last! :lol:

This will be my first GOTM, I'll do my best. I've been reading a lot of the strategies in this forum, hopefully they will help me.

I, as well, will jump ino this one. I have just recently dusted off the civ2 cd.

warlord level? should be easy, ive been playing deity, but who knows, i havent played too recently, so i probably need to get back in shape some. I find it unfortunate not staring w two settlers, those can be extremely helpful. I also dislike the fact that we dont start near a four-resource spot. (who wouldnt want one of those?) Well, good luck everyone, this should hopefully be quick and easy for most of us

Top Bottom