GOTM61 poll

How do you like this idea?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ali Ardavan

Mathematician
Retired Moderator
Instead of agonizing over which side to choose in GOTM60 I have been agonizing over strategy. The space ship is the quick, conservative, and most likely high scoring (in terms of GOTM score, not Civ2 score) choice. It is also my prefered style of play. But conquest is such a formidable challenge that I am afraid if I ignore it I will end up regreting it just as I did in GOTM58 (The Gauntlet) where I went for an islotionist space ship strategy.
This agonizing led to this idea:

How do you, the GOTM players, like the idea of playing this game twice; once conquest, once space ship?

Here is how it would work: The deadline for either submission will be early March. All the space ship submissions will be considered GOTM60 and all conquest ones GOTM61.

Ooh - that sounds interesting!. Does it matter which one gets tried first?

That will be the only way a conquest game gets played. The people who made this scenario up must have put a lot of effort into it, but, a conquest game is hopeless for a GOTM score. An SS launch is just around the corner and than build wonders to run up the score. A conquest game would be a real challenge, but it would have to be a bloodlust type of game with no SS allowed.

grigor said:
Ooh - that sounds interesting!. Does it matter which one gets tried first?
NO. But if you have not started yet, I suggest starting the landing game first, as it is sure to get done far more quickly.
Ace said:
The people who made this scenario up must have put a lot of effort into it, but, a conquest game is hopeless for a GOTM score.
My feeling exactly. On top of that it is going to take a lot longer in real time as well.

I have looked, but not yet started this gotm, and conquest seems difficult because of the massive starting armies, number of cities, and the total inevitibility of a space landing before conquest can be obtained. is there a way to prevent this space landing, like make the conquest scenario no-space ship, like ace was saying

Im Game ! I agree , its a beautiful Map, and we know how long it took Duke and his team to design it.
I allready finished my game ( posted on spoiler ).
And I will probably start the Conquest game today or tomorrow.
Regardless. I will submit my first game ( Landing ) since it was the one I played first

I don't actually hate the idea... it is interesting. But IMO the best parts of a game are exploring a new map, and building an empire from scratch. Maybe I haven't played the modern age enough to appreciate it? It seems hard to make long term plans around nukes and senates and sneak attacks.
I am clumsily trying a landing game in GOTM 60. If time permits, I'll also experiment with conquest later this month.

Modern age war is not difficult, it just has a few different rules...like rush build SDIs ASAP, Communism works just fine, but a power democracy is really fine. Spies with bags of coins will "grow" your empire faster than any elephants/crusaders ever could.

Also keep in mind the real rules of the real thing in modern war...don't bunch up units to make a tempting target for a nuke. Don't stack a lot of units in a city unless that city has an SDI in it. (the city layout in this map is just made for the "nuke trap" so use it.) And lastly, the AI WILL nuke any city you capture on its next turn.

Just a question: i think i might be finished with space ship soon, will another save be posted? (one where no space ship allowed)

EmperorGandalf said:
Just a question: i think i might be finished with space ship soon, will another save be posted? (one where no space ship allowed)
I think the suggestion is to play the same set of start files, but it would be a "house rule" that you play for conquest. The bloodlust flag would NOT be set, thus allowing the AI's to still launch their ships. This would put a bit of time pressure on the conquest-driven Human player as it would be a race against the spaceships.

TimTheEnchanter said:
I think the suggestion is to play the same set of start files, but it would be a "house rule" that you play for conquest. The bloodlust flag would NOT be set, thus allowing the AI's to still launch their ships. This would put a bit of time pressure on the conquest-driven Human player as it would be a race against the spaceships.
It would certainly be tougher when the AI can launch their space ship and just about every one is close enough.
The main problem with posting a new set of saves with bloodlust turned on is those who have already started a conquest. We know there is at least one.

Ali Ardavan said:
How do you, the GOTM players, like the idea of playing this game twice; once conquest, once space ship?

Here is how it would work: The deadline for either submission will be early March. All the space ship submissions will be considered GOTM60 and all conquest ones GOTM61.

Or, it might be easier to provide awards for both SS and conquest as a "double set" for GOTM 60, extended the deadline a bit, and provide GOTM 61 as entirely new game. ... Off hand, I don't see any reason why this might not be done.

I love the idea, but probably won't have time to compete myself. I haven't finished any GOTM for a couple of months.
The idea is appealing though, but maybe better for a game where conquest is a more realistic option. Or am I too defaitist?

I like Andu's idea. I've started conquest, and the spaceship doesn't sound that appealing after reading what I have here.

I'm trying to figure out whether it will be possible to take all AI cities in 1 turn - bit of a challenge!

I think i dont mind the AI being able to build Space ship for conquest game, i just thought of a good strategy (I hope) (oh, and i suppose it would ruin things if i told my idea, even though lots of people already are thinking about how to do it) Hint: Think of ways to attack without worrying about walls, SAM missiles, SDI, etc.

I am just starting a replay, for conquest this time. But I have already seen some spoiler info (eg Golem's conquest victory)... so have I already disqualified myself (assuming Ali's idea or Andu's idea is adopted)?

Also, if my replay won't count, I may take some micromanagement shortcuts. Example: RB instead of IRB and then adjust my gold thru cheat mode. Maybe something similar with arrows and bonuses.

I am not too worried about my replay being ruled ineligible, but would suggest that we resolve this debate fairly quickly. I wonder if Duke has formed an opinion yet?

just by looking at the set up, a peaceful game for space ship should be easy, a few turns researching tech, building factories and stuff while apollo being built, and space ship should be simple. currently i am doing a conquest game which has been fun and challenging, and afterward i may start a spaceship game if we are doing two

Peaster said:
but would suggest that we resolve this debate fairly quickly. I wonder if Duke has formed an opinion yet?
I agree. We should resolve this quickly. I expected more votes but looks like that is all we are going to get; no one has voted rececntly.

Duke has been to the forum several times since I posted this about 2 weeks ago. I am sure he has seen it. But he does not have to make a decision till February 1st.

Top Bottom