1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

GOTMers... Can You Help Me?

Discussion in 'Civ2 - Game of the Month' started by Marlos, Jan 12, 2010.

1. Marlos

Marlos Christian Soldier

Everyone, I have been playing GOTMs on and off since 2004. At one point, I recall a GOTM where you could start the game with any of the governments available throughout the game. :cool: But I never got to play it! :cry:

I have searched the GOTM archive but I cannot find it. :sad:

Does anyone recall which GOTM this was? I would download it and play it now, if I could only find it! Can you please help me? Does anyone remember?

2. Ali Ardavan

Ali Ardavan Mathematician Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

I do remember it. But cannot recall when it was. I am pretty sure it was prior to 2008 though.

3. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

I remember a couple of games set in the modern age, that attracted old-timers like Andu Idorin and Starlifter. Maybe it was one of those ? I'd guess they were approx 2007-2008.

Just an idea - would it be worthwhile to compile an index of all the gotms [or at least the unusual ones] to answer questions like this quickly ? I know how tedious it is to search through the archives one page at a time. I wouldn't want to do it alone, but maybe we could start a thread on this if there is some interest.

4. Magic_gorter

Magic_gorter Moderator Moderator Civ2 GOTM Staff

You mean you want some kind of list with a description of the game.
    It shouldn't take to long to create something like that if more people can help with it. We can make it a sticky thread so it's always easy to find. We only need to determine what kind of info we will post in the thread and how. Perhaps you have an idea Peaster (what and how we post).

Of course I want to help. I have some info of the GOTM games I made in an spreadsheet so we have that already.

5. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Magic: Great !! With 2 or 3 people involved, it shouldn't be too hard. Yes - a thread would be a good start, maybe with a few blank posts at the top, to be filled in later. I think you'd do a better job of it than I, but if you like, I could start it.

I'd mainly like a list of gotms with special maps or special rules, which would help answer questions like Marlos's above. Ex "106 starts on the pole - by Magic Gorter". We could include more info if it doesn't get too cluttered. Secondly [if possible], a list including any unusual strategies or results. For example, a one-city conquest, a finish before 1000BC, the last gotm Starlifter played, etc. Of course, everyone can add ideas.

The format ? I guess a few separate lists of gotms would be easiest. But it could look like the index of a book, or whatever.

6. Magic_gorter

I hope more people wants to help but we can start anyway. I guess it's best you start because you can only edit your own post and I can edit all posts:)

That way you will be able add things to that post and I can do the same. We should also mention which level (Warlord, Deity, etc) and perhaps the number of civs. Other helpers can put their text below the blank posts which I can copy to the right place.

Is it an idea to describe 10 GOTM games per post (so we need right now at least 11 blank posts for all 106 GOTM's)?

7. willemvanoranje

willemvanoranje Curitibano

8. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Willem and Magic - Seems we have at least two ideas on how to do this, so far

a) A complete list of the 106 gotms in chronological order, with entries similar to willem's previous post. We could add boldface remarks to the ones with special maps, rules, etc so we can find those fairly easily. I'm just wondering if that would be too much work .... Willem, how did you get your data [cut and paste from archives ? one-at-a-time ? easy to do 106 ?]

b) A list of approx 20 special gotms, mostly after gotm 50 or so, with just a remark or two for each one. This would probably answer most Marlos-type-questions with minimal effort. If the thread becomes popular, we could expand it later.

9. Magic_gorter

I personally want to do option A. Rather have a complete list. The next 2 months I have one extra free day from work so I have a bit more time to help. With 3 persons we only have to do 36 gotm's. This could be done pretty fast.

10. willemvanoranje

I just started at the last page of this subforum and looked for the threads... 'GotM #3 here'. Shall I just do the first 30 or so next week, and send them to Peaster by PM? We can first just gather the data in the preliminary format I used, and then find ways to present the information a bit more attractively.

11. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

Willem - Yes, that would be good. I have started a thread "Gotm index" and already cut-pasted the first 5 games from your post above. I think your format is fine. If you notice anything unusual about any gotm, please include a comment about that. You can send a PM, or just post the info like you did above. Thanks!

12. Magic_gorter

I will start with GotM's #61 - #92...so Peaster could do the #31 - #60

I have already a list from 93 (the first GOTM I made) till the end. Only a link to a thread and special things should be added.

13. Magic_gorter

I have updated the list with all GOTM's of 2009 and 2010. Did already some of 2008 but found out that the links to the save files are missing. I try to fix that with help from other moderators of this site.

14. Peaster

Peaster Chieftain

I don't think the links are too important for our index, if players can find the links in the Archive. Do you ? I couldn't cut-paste links easily from the Archive [is there some trick to that?], so those are currently missing from my #40 to #50 entries.

Maybe we should move these discussions to the gotm index thread ?

15. Magic_gorter

I opened only the threads of every gotm I put up in the list and did not used the archive. Made a special sheet in excel with code colums (like [url= ) so I could easily paste the link in it.

I tried the link to download the savefiles in the archive (current archive) but they don't work anymore. We can still make this index but I try to get the links working again....

We can discuss it in the gotm index from now.

16. willemvanoranje

Good. I think I'll do a couple of them tonight. :)

17. willemvanoranje