GotW - Sept. 21-28 - anyone still playing?

GopherWT

Chieftain
Just picked the game up for 360 about a month ago, and only got seriously into GotW in the past few weeks. Nobody seems to be talking about the GotWs anymore - threads haven't even been created in the entire time I've been playing. I don't pay much attention to what's going on at Deity; the way GotW has to be played I don't see that the difficulty level makes much difference - knowledge of the future beats any deity AI bonuses - so I just play on King.

Is it just me or does the RNG seem particularly vicious this week?

I played quite intensely sunday and was in second place with 700AD behind nottheslacker at 250AD. Another sleepless night and I managed to improve my time to 400AD, only to find that ometto and texas ham had overtaken both of us with 1200BC and 900BC, and nottheslacker had improved his to 100BC, leaving me now 9 turns from 3rd and 20 turns behind 1st, with better scores clearly on the way.

I'm feeling like I'm approaching the limits of my current strategy; it has a very slow start, not producing a single unit until 2700BC, but from there it gets to three horse armies very quickly and gets me david as my first culture award. Because of the slow start, though, I've known the strategy was doomed, but I've been having fun seeing how much I can refine it before moving on.

So, are any of my rivals lurking around here?

guess not. Oh well.

Just playing around looking for a better start that would let me break the BC barrier this week and i stumbled onto a path that scored me a settler from every goodie hut I explored - the two south and one immediately north of the start point and the one on the island between the two relics. After getting the 2nd one I decided to try for the fastest cultural victory I could and managed to win by 1500, which is a new personal record for cultural victory. :king: but all my subsequent attempts to reproduce this lucky sequence of have been complete failures, haven't managed to get even a single one again. :sigh:

There has been so little activity on this message board about GOTW that I hardly check it anymore. I would have been happy to respond to your message otherwise, if I saw it last week. I have been playing the deity level. The trick I came up with for last week's map was building the initial city three squares to the south (counter-intuitively -- since it was actually farther away from all opponents land-wise) next to the barb village, and to use the militia to get a spy from a hut, which I sold to rush a warrior to attack the barb village to get a galley in 3800 bc. Loading the warrior onto the galley and sending it west allowed me to take Karakorum with my warrior using an amphibious attack -- the capital was empty when I arrived in 3300 bc. The turn I took Karakorum, I also raised 100 gold. The next turn, my free settler sprung out of Karakorum -- it was pretty simple to use that as a base of operations to get to Madrid and Thebes (I sent the free settler towards Madrid to build a city two squares away, to rush units for the attack, and sent a horseman up to Thebes). In the meantime, I was scouting out the territory between Thebes and London (using a spy sprung from a goody hut). 160 gold bought me a road from Thebes to London (which can only be built after scouting out the territory in between), which road could be used to speed my attack on Rome (after I took Thebes in 2900 bc). I also sprung Feud from a hut in 2800 bc, which gave me a free knight and let me build more. After many tries and using a couple more tricks (including using my spy to lure one of Rome's warriors away from the capital, so that the capital had fewer defenders when I attacked in 2800 bc), I managed to get my time down to 2700 bc (which involved using only one knight in 2800 bc, rushed out of my city two squares from Madrid).

This week's map with the Greeks is also a fun challenge. I again managed to get to 2700 bc, but I won't post any spoilers while the contest is still pending.

Top Bottom