Government legacy bonus

It is a cool idea but seems too small to matter. Most of the time it seems you get to keep like a 4% bonus to something, hardly noticable. With America it's different but still seems on the low end.

They are the portion you keep after switching.

(The longer you were a Autocracy, the more autocratic wonder building legacy you have After you leave autocracy)

Does it kick in while you are in autocracy (and continues to increase) or only after you leave it?

I am of the opinion that they are too slow to gain and too weak to be much of a consideration if at all. Even as America the bonuses don't add up to much. I'd personally increase the gains per period to 3%.

I am of the opinion that they are too slow to gain and too weak to be much of a consideration if at all. Even as America the bonuses don't add up to much. I'd personally increase the gains per period to 3%.
I'm not sure about overall balance, this way they could easily overshadow other bonuses, including civ uniques. The America bonus could end up being weak, though and may need improvement. But again, we need some significant game experience for this.

I'm not sure about overall balance, this way they could easily overshadow other bonuses, including civ uniques. The America bonus could end up being weak, though and may need improvement. But again, we need some significant game experience for this.
My goal is to make them relevant. Currently they basically aren't a consideration. I've watched a few of the recorded games from the press build. They are pulling down on average about a 4% bonus before upgrading. 4% might as well not even be there. 12% is at least enough to make a difference and is far from overpowered.

My goal is to make them relevant. Currently they basically aren't a consideration. I've watched a few of the recorded games from the press build. They are pulling down on average about a 4% bonus before upgrading. 4% might as well not even be there. 12% is at least enough to make a difference and is far from overpowered.
In the current system you could easily get 10% if you don't jump back and forth (and if you stay with your initial government after discovering next one, you could reach 20%). That would be 30% in your case. Let's say you picked Classical Republic earlier and stay in it until second layer governments are unlocked. By this (not exceptional) strategy you totally dominate over Pedro ability, for example.

Isn't classical republic 1% every 15 turns? 150 turns as a tier 1 government is easy? Even at a 10 turn increment if you are taking 100 turns to get a tier 2 government then you are doing something horrifically wrong. Don't say a few percentage points eventually could ever be worth more than 2 policy slots right now. It is a such an absurd suggestion that you would kill all your credibility. Especially since the Theocracy and Merchant Republic are unquestionably objectively better than any of the tier 1 governments.

Also the only switching around I've seen has been in tier 2 because the person unlocked one of the tier 2 governments, saw that it was straight up objectively better than the tier 1 he was on and upgraded, then switched to the tier 2 government he really wanted when it unlocked.

Isn't classical republic 1% every 15 turns? 150 turns as a tier 1 government is easy? Even at a 10 turn increment if you are taking 100 turns to get a tier 2 government then you are doing something horrifically wrong.
I can't find exact number for the increment. I believe it's 10 turns for standard speed, but could be wrong.
Anyway, the standard speed is designed to be up to 500 turns, if that's like in Civ5. Surely we've seen a lot of eureka-freaks in let's play, but:
- That's prerelease build.
- I think dev livestream is a good display of how you'll put away eurekas and beeline on higher difficulty levels.
So, let's say that's 500 turns max, more like 400 in real life. This means you get 30-40 of some bonuses (depending on how often they are, how early you get your first normal government and so on). You could distribute them different ways, but getting 10 of bonuses from some single government may be not uncommon. And if you split between 6-7 governments, that's your choice, not game design flaw.

I don't think the legacy bonuses are supposed to be much of a consideration. If a new government has more policy cards (AND you are not totally at ease at your present situation), TAKE it.

I don't think the legacy bonuses are supposed to be much of a consideration. If a new government has more policy cards (AND you are not totally at ease at your present situation), TAKE it.

Agreed.
They add a bonus which adds to theming and immersion, by recognising that practice makes everyone better; and your people carry the traditions and habits of their ancestors, even as their leaders move on.

It's a similar principle to eurekas and inspirations; but done more subtly, as not everything has to be drastic to add flavour :)

I agree that so far the numbers look ok but we need tons of playtime ourselves to find out really how balanced this is. I do like the general concept that upgrading governments will give you more policy slots, but you might in some scenarios benefit from sticking with a "lower tier" government just to benefit from the larger legacy bonus.

Perhaps legacy bonus can start to accumulate twice as fast after say 100 turns in one government type. But again we need to play the game lots before we could really say much about the pace or amounts of boosts.

Legacy bonus do matter alot. Each government have a base legacy bonus like +15% great people points for Classical Republic so if you switch government you no longer get the +15% GPP. Also each 15 turns get an additional permament +1% GPP which is not tied to the government.

CR is better then any of the tier 2 for a great person heavy game because non of the tier 2 provide any great person bonuses. Thus tier 2 is not automatically better then tier 1.

Autocracy is better for wonder heavy game then any tier 2 and oligarchy is better for warmongering.

I find cards to be a bit overrated and there are other ways to get cards such as building wonders. Given that you always pick the best cards first more cards mean worse cards on average. You also often get to switch cards which also reduce the value of having more cards.

Top Bottom