[R&F] Government Plaza

bite

Unofficial Civilization Cartographer
Super Moderator
So we know a bit more about the Government Plaza today -

Government Plaza

You can only build one of each tier in each Government Plaza

Audience Chamber - Tier 1 +Amenity + Housing, only in cities with a governor, - Loyalty in cities without a Governor, +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Republican Legacy Policy Card.
Warlord's Throne - Tier 1 +Production in all cities when capturing an enemy city +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Republican Legacy Policy Card.
Ancestral Hall - Tier 1 +Production of Settlers, New cities get a free Builder, +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Republican Legacy Policy Card.
Foreign Ministry - Tier 2 Leveraging City States Armies costs less Gold, Leveraged Units get bonus Strength +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Monarchy Legacy Policy Card.
Intelligence Agency - Tier 2 +1 Spy, All Spy Operations are more successful +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Monarchy Legacy Policy Card.
Grand Ministers Palace - Tier 2 Can buy Units with Faith, can get Faith from Pillaging Tiles/Districts +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Monarchy Legacy Policy Card.

This is interesting because this is the first district with really universal rather than local effects, which makes me wonder, can you only build one Government Plaza, because at the most you would only every want to build 3

So we know a bit more about the Government Plaza today -

Government Plaza

You can only build one of each tier in each Government Plaza

Audience Chamber - Tier 1 +Amenity + Housing, only in cities with a governor, - Loyalty in cities without a Governor, +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Republican Legacy Policy Card.
Warlord's Throne - Tier 1 +Production in all cities when capturing an enemy city +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Republican Legacy Policy Card.
Ancestral Hall - Tier 1 +Production of Settlers, New cities get a free Builder, +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Republican Legacy Policy Card.
Foreign Ministry - Tier 2 Leveraging City States Armies costs less Gold, Leveraged Units get bonus Strength +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Monarchy Legacy Policy Card.
Intelligence Agency - Tier 2 +1 Spy, All Spy Operations are more successful +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Monarchy Legacy Policy Card.
Grand Ministers Palace - Tier 2 Can buy Units with Faith, can get Faith from Pillaging Tiles/Districts +1 Governor Title, Unlocks the Monarchy Legacy Policy Card.

This is interesting because this is the first district with really universal rather than local effects, which makes me wonder, can you only build one Government Plaza, because at the most you would only every want to build 3
Didnt we already know very early that you can only build one? :p

I really don't think the things we see are final. Unlocking the same policy card is clearly incomplete part.

Having government plaza buildings not tied to particular government could be correct, though. They may be unlocked with related policies, but not require government itself.

I would guess that the buildings unlock cards for *any* government which the civ has had (possibly for a certain number of turns to prevent gaming it).

I really don't think the things we see are final. Unlocking the same policy card is clearly incomplete part.

I think this is actually intentional. The idea is that, instead of the current legacy bonus, you unlock a legacy policy card for whatever government you were running when you upgraded your government district.

My guess is that it goes bye-bye, just like capturing a Holy Site as Mvemba. (if only...)

Capturing holy site for Kongo is mysterious. They keep their bonus but visually disappear. Moreover, if it is a Lavra it turns into Holy Site and doesn't disappear.

I expect similar problems occur for Government Plaza, too. Making audience chamber extremely annoying.

I think this is actually intentional. The idea is that, instead of the current legacy bonus, you unlock a legacy policy card for whatever government you were running when you upgraded your government district.
Oh, I see. Yes, this makes sense.

I see where they are going with this re: individual buildings, but I was hoping for something different. I liked the idea of different govts unlocking different buildings, which could only be built if you had used the govt type previously. Now, a pacifist Classical Republic can just as easily choose the Warlord Throne as a bloodthirsty, warmongering autocrat, all the while the Warlord Throne giving you a Republican legacy card. It just seems... off.

Having what buildings you can build be dictated by the government you had would mean your choice of government would have more long term impact on your civilization. I think that's a missed opportunity.

The buildings themselves don't fee very evocative either - "Audience Chamber" is not very exciting; "Warlord's Throne" sounds like something reversed engineered to cover the bonuses the designers wanted to give (is a Warlord's Throne different to anyone else's throne?); and what does an "Ancestral Hall" got to do with settlers and builders?

I was really hoping to build a senate if I played Rome, or a Parliament if I built England (or, you know, maybe a star chamber... ).

The bonuses also feel like just a laundry list of buffs. When you add those bonuses to the bonuses from governors, dedications, civ / leader abilities, and your government itself, it's feels like a bit of a mess.

I'm interested to see what they come up with...but I'm def a bit bummed about the removal of legacy bonuses. I thought that was a great thematic mechanic that made you question the exact time you'd jump to another government, sayif it was only a few more tuns to get another percentage point on combat etc.

I see where they are going with this re: individual buildings, but I was hoping for something different. I liked the idea of different govts unlocking different buildings, which could only be built if you had used the govt type previously. Now, a pacifist Classical Republic can just as easily choose the Warlord Throne as a bloodthirsty, warmongering autocrat, all the while the Warlord Throne giving you a Republican legacy card. It just seems... off.

I don't think we're supposed to equalize GP (oh man that's gonna be an annoying abbreviation) buildings with governments, but rather consider them seperately; you pick the building that fits your playstyle (tall, peaceful expansion or warlike expansion for the first three) and you pick the government that fits your empire. Of course there is overlap, but that just means you can choose to double up or spread out the benefits you get.

This is the tooltip for the Government Plaza which shows it can only be built once (Korea Livestream YT 19:44):

government_plaza.PNG

Commemorate your government choice could point to:
  1. enabling the legacy bonus
  2. buildings are tied to governments
For the 2nd option there was another screenshot which opposes this idea. Furthermore the 1st tier buildings can logically tied to 1st tier governments:
  • audience chamber - classical republic
  • warlords throne - autocracy
  • ancestral hall - olygarchy
But for the 2nd tier I cannot say the same:

• Foreign Ministry - (monarchy/merchant republic/ theocracy ???)
    • Intelligence Agency - (monarchy/merchant republic/ theocracy ???)
    • Grand Ministers Palace - (monarchy/merchant republic/ theocracy ???)
Edit: the "Grand ministers palace" should have been "Grand masters chapel" (as indicated in a later post by @stealth_nsk)
Then the 2nd tier buildings can be logically tied to 2nd tier governments as follows:
  • Foreign Ministry - merchant republic
  • Intelligence Agency - monarchy
  • Grand Masters Chapel - theocracy

Last edited:
Top Bottom