Government Structure

What Government Structure?

• Total voters

Strider

In Retrospect
It's about time we get sometime of unofficial poll going on this, as there are about 5 differant government proposals out there, and I have no clue what one where even thinking about using. Heck, which one is the true "alternative" proposal?

Taken directly from Master Cyc, here are your options:

1. The Traditional Plan -Pretty much what we used in prior games
2. DaveShack's Alternative - Strategic and Tactical Planners
3. Ravensfire's Alternative - Planners and Implimenters
4. Provolution's Alternative - An extended Traditional Plan
5. Blackheart's Pure Democracy - Inspired/Organized Anarchy

This should atleast tell us which ones are worth wasting our time on, and which one's aren't. The Top 3 of these we should continue our work on.

The Tradational Style of Government, for two main reasons:

1) Stability, we don't know wether or not the new styles will work, where as the Tradational style has 5 Demogames of proof sitting behind it.

2) Even if one of the alternatives does work, there will still be some editing that will have to be done, and personally, I'd prefer not to spend the entire game fighting over the constitution.

Cyc hears the PSC siren sound off and heads for the bomb shelter.

It too early for me to vote on this one.

Cyc said:
Cyc hears the PSC siren sound off and heads for the bomb shelter.

It too early for me to vote on this one.

I don't mean this to be a "final" poll, but just to see which styles are worth working on still. Just something to save us all time.

However, it is unlimited, so take as much time as you want.

Strider said:
The Tradational Style of Government, for two main reasons:

1) Stability, we don't know wether or not the new styles will work, where as the Tradational style has 5 Demogames of proof sitting behind it.

2) Even if one of the alternatives does work, there will still be some editing that will have to be done, and personally, I'd prefer not to spend the entire game fighting over the constitution.
I strongly support the Traditional Government Structure or Provo's Government. To bad Strider's Government is not in the poll, otherwise I would select all 3 of them that have a Traditional Government structure :).

CivGeneral said:
I strongly support the Traditional Government Structure or Provo's Government. To bad Strider's Government is not in the poll, otherwise I would select all 3 of them that have a Traditional Government structure :).

My proposal is a modification of the Traditional Government Style, so if you voted for the Traditional Style, your basicly voting for mine.

Way, WAY to early, Strider.

Folks, we're trying an experiment with the alternative system. So far, it's gone well in it's first, limited phase. We're starting a second phase now that's more involved, more comprehensive. It will give us a great look at how things work together, problems that might ensure.

In short, it's a quick dry run of the alternate style. Based on that, we'll have some good information to make a good, informed decision on this.

Based on the results from that, we'll hash out the details of the full alternative plan, then put it, and the tradition method head-to-head.

PSC, heck, not even pollsters during a presidential election would put something out this biased.

-- Ravensfire

ravensfire said:
Way, WAY to early, Strider.

Folks, we're trying an experiment with the alternative system. So far, it's gone well in it's first, limited phase. We're starting a second phase now that's more involved, more comprehensive. It will give us a great look at how things work together, problems that might ensure.

In short, it's a quick dry run of the alternate style. Based on that, we'll have some good information to make a good, informed decision on this.

Based on the results from that, we'll hash out the details of the full alternative plan, then put it, and the tradition method head-to-head.

PSC, heck, not even pollsters during a presidential election would put something out this biased.

-- Ravensfire

Can I ask how it's "biased?" Also, as I said before, my main purpose was to filter out some of the less popular ideas, for then we can concentrate our time on the ones that are most likely to get support. What is wrong with that?

Strider said:
Can I ask how it's "biased?" Also, as I said before, my main purpose was to filter out some of the less popular ideas, for then we can concentrate our time on the ones that are most likely to get support. What is wrong with that?

Well, for one, the fact that none of the alternative governments are finalized. Pitting the traditional government that has been used for 5 games against the alternative styles that aren't even finished yet just reeks of favoritism. Today's only the 4th of the month. We can hold off on this poll for at least 2 weeks and still have enough time to straighted everything out for a March 1 start.

Ashburnham said:
Well, for one, the fact that none of the alternative governments are finalized. Pitting the traditional government that has been used for 5 games against the alternative styles that aren't even finished yet just reeks of favoritism. Today's only the 4th of the month. We can hold off on this poll for at least 2 weeks and still have enough time to straighted everything out for a March 1 start.

I'm not pitting anything against anything, actually the whole purpose of this poll was to see wether or not It was worth my time to work on the tradational government constitution, or if it was a lost cause and the alternative governments were already decided.

It is an informational poll, to see how people like how the differant formats are going so far. I am not doing what you obviously think I am, I'm doing the opposite. This is usually what you call over-reacting (as in RF's case) or over-critical (as in your case). Relax, clam down, and just have some fun. Afterall... it is the Demogame. Being over-critical, isn't always a bad thing, as we should always be over-critical over new proposals/ideas, or any changes to the constitution. This is a case however, when it serves no more purpose than mudslinging.

would a moderator please add my vote to Ravensfires Alternate Proposal please?
Just looked over all the proposals again and found that RFs was also very good

would anyone explain to me what the defenition of each govt style is? :confused:

thescaryworker said:
would anyone explain to me what the defenition of each govt style is? :confused:
in the DG we have many different departments, now I will use the science department as example:

In the traditional governemtn one leader would decide overall tech plans(which area of tech tree to go and whether or not we would research ourselves or buy techs) and this person would also micromanage the tech tree(i.e. should we get iron working next or polytheism?)

While in an alternate government there one be one leader doing the overall tech plans and another leader decides on how to micromanage the tech tree.

Now the traditional government is good because we already have played with that alot.
The alternate government is good because people without conquests(what we will be playing with next DG) can become leaders that make the overall plan and it also allows u to better choose a leader position that suits your needs.... But this hasnt been played before....

However, i dont believe that provos alternate government structure is like DaveShacks or Ravensfire...

thescaryworker said:

Don't worry about voting in this poll to much, it's not doing anything more than giving more motivation to the ideas with higher support.

An idea just came to me. If 2 choices (such as we have now) have a clear majority but are tied with each other, then perhaps we should try both. Either change the gov type every 1 or 2 terms, have a bloodly revolution, or have 2 teams with each gov type, OR run 2 parallel games with each gov type for each game and see how that goes (yes it is a n eccentric idea)

Strider said:
I'm not pitting anything against anything, actually the whole purpose of this poll was to see wether or not It was worth my time to work on the tradational government constitution, or if it was a lost cause and the alternative governments were already decided.

It is an informational poll, to see how people like how the differant formats are going so far. I am not doing what you obviously think I am, I'm doing the opposite. This is usually what you call over-reacting (as in RF's case) or over-critical (as in your case). Relax, clam down, and just have some fun. Afterall... it is the Demogame. Being over-critical, isn't always a bad thing, as we should always be over-critical over new proposals/ideas, or any changes to the constitution. This is a case however, when it serves no more purpose than mudslinging.

No need to get uppity, Strider. Just pointing out that a poll at this point is premature. If people want to spend time to refine their visions of a government, then we should let them and not force the populous to go down a certain path. It's obviously "worth their time" to work on the proposals if they're willing to fine-tune them; which they seem to be. Provolution's proposal, for instance, has gone through several iterations already. At this point, we don't know what the final version of "Provolution's Alternative"--or, for that matter, any proposal-- is going to look like. Thus, polling the options at this point seems too hasty. As I said before, we have over 3 weeks to figure out how we're going to play DG6. Let's use all the time we can.

Top Bottom