government types?

Discussion in 'Civ3 - General Discussions' started by soren, Dec 16, 2003.

?

which government is the best (IN CIV, I MEAN)

1. depositsm

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  2. monarcy

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
  3. republic

17 vote(s)
    19.5%
  4. democracy

36 vote(s)
    41.4%
  5. communism

13 vote(s)
    14.9%
  6. fuedalism or facism or any other i misses

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  1. Goober

Goober Turning Right ...

I like Communism, when they fix the corruption thing that is apparently messed up, it will be even better. Democracy is ok, but it is not good for large empires, with spread out colonies, as I like to do.

2. truckingpete

truckingpete On a Stark Trek

monarchy is the best i think

3. Daarkseid

Daarkseid Warlord

The Republic is my all time favorite. And it's even better with Conquests.. I can usually support 200 units for less gold under a Republic than I can with a Democracy(because of free unit support), depending on how many Cities/Metros I control. And of course low war weariness makes fighting long wars more manageable.

My people once overthrew my Democracy because war weariness got so bad.

4. tracerhaha

tracerhaha Chieftain

Democracy. Due to all the bonuses that government type gets.

5. troytheface

troytheface Deity

i go fuedalism than facism just to use new govs. works fine.

6. Ville

Ville Deity

republic or democracy

7. Park Ranger

Park Ranger Wonder hog

Democracy ASAP. Usually after about 20 turns of war I have lots of infrastructure to catch up on...

I've never had a problem building Universal Suffrage ahead of AI - just plan ahead and prebuild a factory, make sure I have RR's around my wonder city. AI always starts the wonder without a factory so as long as I get Industrialization within a few turns of AI I don't sweat it.

8. DaleSwanson

DaleSwanson Chieftain

I get to republic fast, I don't research straight for it, but I do tend to get there fast. Once there my other reasearch goes so much faster, and I can sell republic for lots to all the AI's. Now as for democracy, yeah I switch, but I'm starting to hate it. It seems like my reasearch goes same pace, and I'm always losing money, due to the lack of any unit support. Sure you have to pay 2 gpt for units in republic, but I never have enough unit to go over the limit. Then in democracy I'm losing 60-100 gpt, and I really don't notice too much more of a diffence, a may stick with republic in my next game, then switch to fascism for my late game war for controll of all my contient, then switch to democracy after that, when I can disband most my offensive army, just haveing defence, and rails, and I'm making enough money where that unit support won't be noticed.

9. Jan Mistique

Jan Mistique Warlord

I usually go for the preferred government of the Civ that I'm playing. So, if I feel like playing a game style that would be helped along by the Republic, I chose a Civ that prefers this.

I am currently playing as the Incas with Communism as the government. Trouble is, Communism comes later in the tech tree so I'm a bit at a lost to know what to give them in the mean time. So far, I've stayed with Despotism and they seem happy enough but I am uneasy with this. I'm not sure how a Civ is affected by having the 'wrong' type of government. Any ideas?

Oh, and to answer the question! I prefer the Republic.

10. proxybot

proxybot Chieftain

I use Monarchy the whole game, works for me.

11. Longasc

Longasc Deity

FACISM.

The best wartime government!
    Great Production.

Feudalism:

I agree with Ision. I think this government SUCKS, even if some people explained me how to use its features to my advantage. The AI does not like it and tends to play VERY weak with it if it does, according to recent postings.

12. CIVPhilzilla

CIVPhilzilla Reagan Republican

Democracy = fav gov, tons of cash, fast workers, and low corruption.

13. Roxtar

Roxtar Leader of the Musicians

There is an older thread on this subject in the Strategy board. Anyway, once I learn Lit & start building GL, I tend to beeline to Monarchy. Then I stay there for the rest of the game unless I play a religious civ. I like MP to keep order in my cities in case:
    1. I can't secure enough luxes;
    2. I want to conquer my neighbors; or
    3. They declare war on *me* for refusing their demands or telling them to get off my land.

If I play a religious civ, I switch to Rep, or even Demo, if:
    1. I *do* secure enough luxes;
    2. I have a temple, cathedral & marketplace in every city (police station would help too);
    3. I have wonders such as HG, Sistine, Bach's &/or US; &
    4. I've just conquered a rival civ & haven't warred with the rest for 20 turns or more. (I prefer to fight one enemy at a time.)

That way, after the switch, I can wage a new war & conquer a lot of land before WW gets too disruptive, in which case I revert to Monarchy. Come peace--back to Demo.

14. Michael York

Michael York On Sabatical from Civ

Jan Mistique, especially since Conquests was released, one of the few things that most civ players can agree upon is that all government types are better than despotism (once you've learned how to use Democracy & Republic).

Despotism penalizes your city's production/growth/trade. The only incidences when it is better than something else:
    1) before you have the infastructure necessary for Rep/Dem
    2) long wars with defeats and your military in an enemies lands (also Rep/Dem)

Edit: originally it said anything where it now says: somthing else :crazyeye:

15. wilbill

wilbill That Old Time Religion

The preferred and shunned governments have absolutely no effect on how your civ will perform. Preferred and shunned govs only affect the AI's attittude toward you. If you're in their preferred gov, their attitude is a little better, if you're in their shunned gov, their attitude a little worse.
    Don't pick a government for your civ based on this.

16. darkfighter12

darkfighter12 Chieftain

ok so i didn't know. but what are the advantages of republic over democracy and vice versa? i REALLY can't tell the difference.

17. Vancouver 2010

Vancouver 2010 Getting Paid to Code

Peacetime: Democracy all the way!
    Wartime: Fascism all the way!

18. StabbingNirvana

StabbingNirvana because i can ...

i just played my first epic game where i got up to the modern age. i decided to try out fascism. its good to build up infrastructure and to keep out the pollution, BUT the bad part is i use to be really advanced. now im even with everyone. i also had a very war mongering neighbor (the arabs) so i had to have quite the military just in case. i am now making a good 300 gpt with trade and everything going on and im only like, a centimeter or less on the minimap. just so you know, im also playing on a huge map and most of my city are pretty spaced out and not overlapping

19. Jan Mistique

Jan Mistique Warlord

20. Overlag

Overlag Prince

I voted monarcy, but it really depends how big my empire is.

If its large, and spread out, communism would be the choice. ive yet to try facism. Normal route for me is despotism/monarchy/democracy.

Sometimes i choose or have in mind a govenment type as i start, so sometimes I do communism just to be different.

Although, in my first few games of Conquests, the AI seems to love Communism or Facism so im normaly the odd one out with Democracy.