1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Governments and Politics II

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Civleader, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Patriotic_Fool

Patriotic_Fool The Mitt ©

An Unknown Figure steps forward..

People of Celtia. Look at what lies ahead. I was young when the Aronokath rebellion occurred, but I was not young enough to be spared from the horrors of conflict and violence. While the Aronokath rebellion attempted to bring a new era for Celtia, only violence was brought from it.

The pain did not end there. The "King's" men, protector of the people of Celtia, turned on their very own people. Thousands died in the streets from starvation or under the iron boot of the security forces.

The violence did not end there. Surely you have heard of the assassinations from our other city. Our elders die of old age, while the young ones are murdered.

The poor blame the King, and violence is enacted against him and his men. The King continues to slaughter the poor and their men.

Don't you see? All the people know in these troubled times is violence.

Would our ancestors have wanted this?

Now, a man who killed the poor and their ringleader, the Aronokaths, has come to take back the city with force.

If it is true, it has been said that Ceri, claiming to be Queen, had her position thrust upon her. I don't know about you, but the Celts have and always will be, a free and strong people. Does our "Queen" have to be enslaved by a document of parchment?

A woman or man who answers to a document written by dead men. Is that who deserves to govern our strong Nation?

Likewise, a man who has killed so many to get to his position of power. Does he deserve the throne?

I propose that Celts themselves choose who is their leader. Not a council of landowners, since even the mad Commander himself owns land.

Each district shall cast a vote, every man and woman of marrying age.

Meanwhile, I propose that every Celt who loves their country and their families gathers their weapons. We must protect ourselves and our children and wives should conflict happen in the streets. I refuse to allow the city of Dun Eideaan to burn over a power conflict!

And with that the unknown figure melds back into the darkness..

2. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

ooc: What now, three coups, four candidates? Who's next? :crazyeye:

3. Patriotic_Fool

ooc: I have no desire to start another revolution. I'm merely proposing a non violent way of getting our new King, that doesn't involve bloodshed :)

4. christos200

christos200 Never tell me the odds

Thus, people of Celtia, this figure proves my point that the Royal family has failed to put down the revolt. Now chose what you want: an another revolt or an Iron fist to crush the rebels?

5. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

Ceri accepted the crown because it was her duty to the people, a concept all these agents provacateur fail to grasp. Much like their failure to grasp the concept of truth. While many did die during the Arakonath rebellion very few died at the hands of the troops who eventually restored order to the city as the High King, in his wisdom, gave orders to ensure that casualties outside of the ringleaders and their inner circle were minimised. It was the rioters and the arsonists, urged on by the Arakonath scum, who caused the vasty majority of innocent deaths. Any man who tells you otherwise reveals himself as a sympathiser to the Arakonath ideals that would have reduced our great city to ashes had they been allowed to take hold.
    But on one point we agree, every loyal Celt should arm himself so that in the event the men formerly under the usurpers command are so enthralled by his lies that they march upon the capital you are able to defend your home and family while the loyal military defend the city.

OOC: And here we go with proto-historical democracy again :rolleyes:

6. Patriotic_Fool

OOC: What? I haven't said anything about a revolt. Hold yer horses.

I'm merely saying that there are 2 people that are hell-bent on the throne. There's going to be oceans of blood unless one of them steps down, which won't happen.

Thus, I propose we vote on it. If we do a "land owners" vote only, then it would be like 3 people voting (rest of the land owners are inactive, dead, etc).

So, have the people vote. I'll just toss it out there that I don't plan on running for the King position should we decide on the voting option. The most logical, nonviolent option available :)

As for proto-history democracy, ancient Greece had democracy very early. After all, Aldermen were elected by the people themselves, out of multiple candidates. If that isn't democracy then.. :lol::lol:

7. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Public Speech: Downtown: Dun Eideann

-

~ after (xenoneb's) talk, and the the strange man's talk and departure

-

That man (PF) speaks in a way truth. In each rebellion, in each revolt against the legitimate authority of the rightful monarch the poor, riled by demagogues such as the one you heard just before (Xenoneb), who incidentally gave no evidence or reason to support his claims, the poor rise and do violence against the King, and cause havoc in the streets due to the resulting rumours and insults spread about government, monarch and nobility causing harm to everyone and causing as Lugaid said many innocent deaths. Due to this the security apparatus of the state then as the unknown man in black points out, fights back against the resulting crime and disorder, and insodoing the poor only increase their own suffering, due to being fooled by men proposing some utopian vision at odds with the realities of this world who have stirred them up for their own gain.

Indeed this insightful reality this strange man has spoken of, is made evident, presuming of course that it is true, by his claims that the Aronokaths and this general Criostoir, the one who riled up those who were impoverished and had otherwise legitimate grievances to his revolutionary and misguided cause for his own gain, and the man who now shows his true colours and is the one who was directly and personal responsible for oversight of the security forces at the time, and thus responsible for any excesses that may have occured are in this revolution TOGETHER.

I'm sure the people can see the true depravity that this fact would imply, the hard club of tyranny and the iron fist, that this military man now reveals as his ultimate goal, and the slander and rejection of legitimate authority of the Aronokaths would be really two sides of the one overarching agenda, two parts of the same whole. Two instruments of the same diabolical and infernal design. Indeed any abuses by security forces under Criostoirs command now self-evidently can be linked to his own perverse desire for absolute control and to the same desire to overturn order and law inherent to the Aronokath ideology rather than to any intent or misgovernance from our Monarchy...

*murmuring as the feeling of outrage at the potential collusion the strange man unveiled awakens to their consciousness'

Now this strange man of course has his own opinions, he proposes an electoral system where the people themselves choose their ruler. But I think his own revelations show that such an idea is fundamentally dangerous. Afterall this Criostoir had, and perhaps still has, great popular support, and the Aronokaths themselves rallied many of the poor with their demagoguery which turned out to be fundamentally insidious and infernal in design. These realities I think show that if the people voted for their sovereign, something quite contrary to all our tradition, that the risks would be infinitely greater that some tyrant, apostate hater of our religion, or malicious enemy of the people would decieve the people with words and use those means to gain absolute power through which he could then oppress the people. The monarchy as it stands is a stabiliser, and ensures consistency and continuity in governance without the great excesses and abuses of power that the general Criostoir proposes, or the utter overturning of values and social order that the Aronokaths promoted. The very fact the monarch has this duty pressed upon them, which they must freely accept, means that they are fully knowledgable that they exist to serve the people, not themselves. Its clear as such that the monarchy is critical to ensuring stability and peace in the realm, and any talk of abolishing it is, as Lugaid said, a sign of collaboration with the nefarious forces of the dark enemy and his agents.

That said, the peoples voice must be acknowledged, and an example referenced by this unknown figure comes to mind here. In Caithar na Lugaid, my brother, a royal who was as you know assasinated by revolutionary forces seeking to overturn the established order, established a system where the districts elected representatives to a city council. This system ensured legitimate authority, the Ri, was restrained with popular representation, while at the same time that the risks inherent to a purely electoral system as the stranger proposed, namely the free ticket chance for some popular demagogue or seemingly heroic general to gain power on a wave of populism before proceeding to oppress the people is dramatically reduced.

In light of this strangers wisdom, in continuity with our traditions and laws, with respect to the legitimate authority of the monarch, such a thing could surely be implemented for the governance of Dun Eideann. Continuity with tradition is important, as is respect for law, indeed it is the rejection of law that fundamentally links, even if they aren't colluding, the Aronokath with the Criostoir ab Iorwerth revolts. That does not however mean that legitimate development and change is not possible however, and the people must understand this reality and renew their loyalty to their rightful Queen, and the order High King Breandan Ui Neill so carefully established, over the protestations and slanders of those persons opposed to it for their own purposes, to ensure the good of the people is defended against such tyrants as Croistoir so longs to be.

And in that vein, it would be right and just for the people to prepare to defend their homes and defend this city in the name of their Queen against the illegitimate and monstrous rebel, Croistoir ab Iorwerth, and any who may be collaborators and colluders with his nefarious plan, and with his apostate design for Celtia. That all right thinking men can agree upon.

8. JohannaK

As it should be known to all already, I am all supportive of an enhancement in the position of the people, especially from the poor district, and I see that it is good that we can have elected representatives, since their voice will be spoken in the halls of power and their needs better addressed.

I, as my father before me, want for Celtia the best, and for the poor district of Dun Eideann a better future. He joined the Security Forces looking forward to prevent crime, to correct the ways of his fellows and set them in a righteous way. But after the revolt, nothing has been the same, and I believe that the problems of the people shall be addressed directly so that the people, relieved from the burden of misery, can explore their full potential and become the force that pushes Celtia forward, instead of the weight that threatens its balance.

9. Patriotic_Fool

OOC: Perhaps the victory of the conflict, in all his or her wisdom, could step down from the King position into a more fitting religious position, and have the people elect the new leader. :)

10. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Their shall always be the poor and those in poverty, this the wisdom of the druids and we cannot decieve ourselves into thinking that we can eliminate impoverishment and suffering. But yes I do agree that the system established by Diarmuid my brother and a son of Breandan Ui Neill ensures that the voice of the poor, and indeed of all segments of society can be heard and addressed within the light of the collective society and legitimate authority, to push Celtia on a positive path forward.

This is inherently and self evidently better than manipulation by demagogues and men lustful for power of the poor and the discontented to violence, becoming as you say a weight that threatens the balance so carefully defended by our Monarchs.

-

OOC: I somehow doubt that making ourselves like the United States, with their popularly elected monarch, will serve the good of Celtia. ;) : EDIT: oh and tradition and respect for law are important in Celtia as ideals with Aristocracy, Legalism and Monarchy, all in the tradition tree, being social policies.

11. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

I am only 19 but I cannot sit by while the future of the Celts is thrown away. My grandparents have told me of the old days, the time before people fought over power. There were no rebellions and everyone worked together to farm. The only person who possessed power was the chief, and it was a time of peace. Now, the powerful seek their own interests and destroy the livelihoods of the ordinary people. The regular people listen to their lies and destroy themselves. Why do we do this? Because we abandoned the old ways. The trend of revolutions and coups is due to a power structure that allows some to believe themselves equal to the chief. That view is false. The Queen is the last vestige of our old peaceful ways; we must not abandon her.

12. Civleader

Civleader King

Midsession Event

These are crucial times in the Celtic Kingdom. A trusted general proclaimed himself High King, and refused to step down after the rightful heir was named queen. As Dun Eideann anticipated conflict, Cathaír Na Lugaíd began to name people to offices and held elections for the aldermen. Naithi MacSeamus Coedwig was named Security Advisor by the Tanaiste Cuinn mac Con Roi Ui Daire. Nath Ui Madigan was named Lord Remembrancer by the current regent Finbar Ui Finnegan Aibhene Ui Cuileann was elected Lord Steward. The Ancestral Warriors seems to be just doing their job in keeping order in the city, for none came out in support for anyone.

Back in Dun Eideann, druids came out and preached against Criostoir Ab Iorwerth. They denounced his actions, and accused him of being helped by the dark god who once corrupted a man of the same name. As they preached, important news arrived to the capital. Criostoir Ab Iorwerth was dead.

Indeed, as the rumor went along that the man had been assassinated as he traveled to the city, the city erupted in different reactions. The lower district and the poor district, who had always hated the man, poured into the streets and public squares and began to celebrate in the evening. They danced, cheered, and were marry as Security Forces were panicking due to the amount of people in the streets. On the other side of the city, the reaction was quiet the opposite. People came out and protested injustice. They demand investigation of the queen for the crime of murder. These protests were contained, and never came out of hand.

By the end of the day, new announcements were being said by storytellers. Blood had been spilled in the fields of 4A. It seemed the Protector's Division, not knowing what to do, began to fight among themselves. People supporting Criostoir Ab Iorwerth rebelled against their captain after he decided to make camp and await a response and future orders from the queen. The rebel warriors wanted to finish Criostoir Ab Iorwerth's last command of marching into Dun Eideann and take the city. A skirmish broke out.

It was brother against brother, all with equal training and equal weaponry. The difference: high ranking officers were not for Criostoir Ab Iorwerth, and decided to put down the rebels. Warriors for Criostoir Ab Iorwerth had little organization, and were massacred in the battle that ensued. In the end, the rebel forces were put down with minimal loss of life.

And in this way, it seemed the second rebellion in history was put down. Yet nothing is stable, as society is divided. Can stability ever return to Celtia?

Deaths
    Criostoir Ab Iorwerth
    Gregoir O Lacy

Session 7 Turn 2 has begun

ooc: I wish I could show you what happened, it was quite impressive, surprising, and exciting. The benefits of the GM :D

13. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: looks like the student has yet to best the master Christos :p

14. Patchy

Patchy Emperor

OOC: Not even the Sub GM's can see?

15. Patriotic_Fool

OOC: Nice to see that the lower/poor districts still have fire in their hearts for the Aronokath, seeing as they hated Reimith's killer with an intense passion.

16. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: It may not necessarily be "for" the Aronokath as "against" Christos for his excesses as security force person. If it was for the Aronokath why are they celebrating in loyalty to the Queen I wonder ;)

17. Patriotic_Fool

OOC: because you set your storytellers upon them :p
    anyways, things are extremely chaotic and just a mess. The politicians list is practically empty, and you just freed 3 more spots. :p

18. JohannaK

ooc: I demand that order be restablished and aristocrats regain ALL of the positions. :mischief:

19. Patriotic_Fool

Spoiler :
    TL;DR, the Aronokaths come forward and pledge loyalty to the new Queen, Ceri. I talk about how we should stop bashing in brains to get stuff done.

The unknown stranger from earlier stepped out, and climbed onto a platform..

People of Great Celtia, witness the victory that we have had over evil! We have lived in turbulent times. I myself have lived in turbulent times. There have been powerful men taken by the sword in battle, there have been intelligent men taken by the dagger of an assassin, there have been kind men slaughtered in the violence of riots, and there have been poor men killed under the forces of the King.

We must stop for a moment and ask ourselves a question. Is this what we, the people of the Celtic Nation, want for ourselves and our children? If the wise and benevolent Chief, from generations ago, was here with us, would be proud? I look in the streets and see a hungry, tattered shell of a people. I see an angry people. I see hate, violence, crime, and evil at every corner. Why are we doing this to ourselves?

Our leaders have resorted to violence. Look at the towers and the security forces. They should be used to protect our citizens, not kill them! Make no mistake, it is not entirely our leader's fault. Men of all ranks, classes, and creeds jump at the opportunity to kill. We are acting no better than a bloodthirsty barbarian!

Our leadership has used assassins in the past. I know this. My family was killed by the Royalty. But my family also has a history of murder and death. The Celtic people cannot continue down this path. Violence will not fix violence, and killing will not prevent killing! Too many men have been cut down and killed, where they could have been spared and shown mercy!

Mercy or death?! Which do you prefer, people of Celtia?

Look at our leaders! Many men who should be guiding us are dead! So much death, so much chaos, so much violence. We are not stable because violence is the only tool being used to fix our problems, and it is not working.

Now you may be wondering, who is this simpleton who thinks he understands the plight of Celtia as a whole, and what gives him the authority to denounce our Kingdom? My name is Aislinn Ui Aronokath. Reimith Aronokath was my grandfather, and Mark Aronokath was my great-grandfather.

I come before you today, not with hatred and evil in my heart, but compassion, understanding, and kindness. My ancestors knew nothing but violence, and they used it to solve their problems. It only brought more violence. My mother, father, and everyone I held dear were killed by assassins hired by the King. Our camp was attacked at night, and I watched from the distance in horror as I heard the screams of those being killed. My grandfather, were he in my position, would likely take up the sword and cause more violence.

I am not my grandfather, and I will not succumb to these primal desires that so many Celts, not just my ancestors, have been afflicted with.

We must forgive the wrongs of the past, and let them go. We have a new Queen, and a new future ahead of us. The atrocities that my elders and ancestors committed against the royalty and their family are behind us. I stand before you a man who has not shed an ounce of blood, and I will not follow in my father's footsteps.

I pledge loyalty to the True Queen of the Celts, and I leave with one parting comment. If we Celts, from the poorest to the richest, are to ensure our current and future generations prosper and can live a life without fear, then we must change now. With Ceri as our Queen, we can push forward in time and repair the damage caused by this needless violence, from Criostoir's insolence and evil, and from the rebellion caused by my grandfather.

And with that, Aislinn Ui Aronokath stepped down from the platform.

20. ork75

ork75 Prince

A veteran of the battle for 28A speaks in a public square:

I speak now in support of nothing but the nation of Celtia. I speak for the people, and for a better tomorrow.
    We should not return any positions to anyone. Elections are a priority.
    The recent coup showed nothing except that the then existing regime was weak. The destabilization and near anarchy that we now live in (and that I have matured in) is caused by the aristocracy and Royal refusal towards change and the common cry for justice and democracy.
    I call a vote, with a 2/3 majority being the new dictator. They should reign until death, when a new election will be undertaken.
    The old regime has fallen - we cannot return there, as the people have seen their weakness. The military coup has been defeated - we cannot return there, as Criostoir is dead. The people have smelled blood, and we must stabilize by electing a politician with near total popular support. All must vote, otherwise instability will follow.

Elections must be run, and time is of the essence.

With that, Victarion Stark returns to the encampment.