1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Governments and Politics II

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Civleader, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Xenoneb

Xenoneb Warlord

OOC:Ravus! Speaking of that, what ever happened to the hunters?

2. Patchy

Patchy Emperor

OOC: They became irrelevant as we moved away from a tribal culture.

3. dot80

dot80 Emperor

Messenger from Egypt: (Public Speech)

4. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

People of Celtia, we have fought against each other too much. We need peace and stability. The time for power grabs has ended, let peace return to our people.

5. Ravus_Sol

Ravus_Sol God-Emperor of Mankind

OOC:
    On the Hunters
    From what I can tell, with Lugh no longer speaking out and with no-one putting forward any alternatives, the Hunters fell from military grace and became a civilian job. At the time I was working on folding them into the military as training for the other classes (so that men can survive away from the city for years at a time.) I was hoping to use the Hunting Camp East of the city as a military training ground with Hunting taught there initially before the other warrior/scout builds.

But even that would now be obsolete, as we now have a lot more potential military wise with Bronze Weapons and Archery to make true armies and not just rabbles. Armies trained to use Bronze Spears and Bows would be more disciplined then a rabble of men with clubs i.e. warriors. With more discipline comes more loyalty, but also more effort to train which means Hunting probably would have been dropped as a necessary part of the military now anyway. would have died now anyway even if Lugh had pushed for it's survival.

6. Xenoneb

Xenoneb Warlord

OOC: Okay. Danke.

7. Civleader

Civleader King

The High Queen came out of the palace at long last and addressed the crowd below.

"People of Dun Eideann! People of Celtia! We have reason to celebrate once more. We have withstood the forces of the corrupt, forces that only sought power through any means. We can focus our attention once more in improvement, expansion, and progress. It is time to re-establish order, stability, and security once more.

To begin this, it is time our government is kept moving. It is time to fill vacant positions. As such, here is my first decree, the appointments of Dun Eideann:

As the new Supreme Commander: Lugaíd mac Conganchnes Uí Daíre
    As Minister of Culture and of course Ri of Cathair Na Lugaid: Prito MacBreandán Ui Neill
    As Minister of Education: Bryce Ui Caedmon
    As High Druid, i see my brother fit for this duty, having been taught in these studies since young age.
    As Second Druid: Drust Ui Cadman
    As Minister of Domestic Affairs: Cern MacLugh Uí Bréton
    As Tanaiste of Dun Eideann: Eoin MacIudicael I Caoimhínn
    As Judge of the Downtown Area: Mael Iosa
    As Judge of the Poor and Lower District: Aislinn Ui Aronokath
    As Judge of the Upper District: Tanai Ui Beara
    As Judge of the Trading Areas: Victarion Stark if he retires from his military duty.
    As Minister of Foreign Affairs I invite Doteiti III MacDoteiti Doutatis to take the position. He is in Egypt, but if he returns he will be offered this position.
    Ambassadors will be named upon Doteiti III's decision.

As you can see, I forgive those who chose the wrong side in the recent confict, but I forgive them for humbling themselves and for pledging loyalty. This symbolizes our unity. It is time to end our quarrels. It is time to become a whole once more.

As to other orders, this is the production queue: Settler > library > Archer
    this is the research queue: Currency > Trapping
    and this shall be our Social Policy: Oligarchy

May we move on to peace and prosperity, and may the gods be with you!

8. Ravus_Sol

The old man looked strange next to the other politicians who wore smart clothing. He instead still wore his Hunting cloak and kept his beard and hair wild like a mane. The man stepped up to address the crowd when the Queen returned to the palace.

"Peoples of Celtia, I am Cern MacLugh Uí Bréton, and I welcome this surprising opportunity to better the lives of all peoples in Dun Eideann."

"As Domestic Minister it is my job to oversee the stability of the nation as a whole and provide discourse between the High Queen and the Low Kings of Celtia. For now the High Queens brother is the only King, and thus my main focus will be on ensuring stability for the empire. My Mandate is broad and the trust the Queen has placed in me is Great. I must do my best to show that I am worthy of that trust."

"The Queen has agreed on many of the ideas I have preached from the low district. Some will begin to be enacted very soon but you must be patient for change to occur. Peaceful change always takes time, but it saves lives and ensures stability for our fair nation."

"You should prepare for many changes in the years to come, I may not be alive to oversee them all, but for now be prepared for a change in how the Military is Run. Soon, with Oligarchy in place, only nominated City Guardian Divisions will Garrison Cities. The Rest will always be defending our nation from afar. The exact details of the differences between the divisions will be stated when the time comes."

"When Currency is researched properly trade will be able to open up fully, not just for our cities, but also in foreign affairs. Business's will spring up and many new jobs will appear. It will be a new age of prosperity. I know I also, personally, will be happy to see Trapping and some camps set up to allow Hunters to have small rural communities of their own. It is something my father would have loved to see."

"Finally, I encourage all peoples who feel like they could be something more, but trapped, to venture forth with the new settlers when the time arrive."

9. filli_noctus

filli_noctus Hmmn

Lugaid stepped out of the palace, resplendent in a coat of bronze scales with a bronze sword hanging in a loop of his belt.
    "As the Queen has informed you I have been named Supreme Commander and Minister of War. Although the loyalty of our men never wavered the actions of my predecessor in this position have shown me the dangers in over-centralisation of our armed forces. To that end I am redesignating the Ancestral Warriors as the army of Cathair na Lugaid and transferring authority over them to the Ri of that city. Furthermore I am instituting a policy that only provincial armies of Dun Eideann and those under the direct authority of the Ard Ri may enter the environs of Dun Eideann without either the express permission or invitation of the Ard Ri or the existence of a clear and present danger to the safety of the city beyond what the civic forces can handle. The only exception will be that a diminished army may encamp in the outer environs to replenish manpower and supplies.
    To comply with this directive the Protector's Division will move out of city limits once replenished and head south to locate the camp of the barbarians that attacked the city.

10. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Public Speech:

~ Ri Prito Ui Neill stepped out of the palace with Lugaid Ui Daire, with the raven banners of the Ui Neill fluttering behind him on the breeze.

-

" People of Celtia, Her Majesty the High Queen, my dear sister, has seen fit to appoint me as minister for culture and as High Druid of Celtia, to serve all of you in addition to my duties as King of Caithar na Lugaid. I have been chosen for these tasks, unworthy instrument of the gods that I am, to combat the cultural and spiritual corruptions that would in a hermeneutic of rupture tear the social fabric of the nation to shreds and to promote positive development and growth in the cultural and religious spheres within a hermeneutic of continuity with the traditions we hold so dear.

To this end, the culture ministry will be collaborating closely with the Domestic ministry in addressing the underlying problems that inform classist sentiment, and with the High Queen herself in order to promote a renewal of celtic society. In addition as High Druid I intend to seek a renewal of our sacred religion so that the sacred law may become respected and revered by the people, in accordance with our traditions and customs.

May the gods bless the High Queen, long may she reign."

-

OOC: And so ends Act I of Governments and Politics II.

11. JohannaK

JohannaK Heroically Clueless

"I would like to thank Her Majesty the Ard Ri of Celtia, Ceri II Ui Neill, for my appointment as Tanaiste of the city of Dun Eideann. I hereby convoke district elections for a representative to the City Council that will advise me on the issues that affect the people in a day-to-day basis.

"I will also seek closer collaboration between the City Council and the Ministry of Domestic Affairs, so that resources of the nation may be more efficiently allocated to solve the problems of the citizens of Dun Eideann.

"Moreover, it is my intention to bring the different classes and peoples of the city closer together, and elliminate this feeling of envy and revenge that consume the herts and minds of the people and have been the cause of a revolution that could have led to the end of our great nation."

12. Ravus_Sol

OOC: Just to check my history, is the northern city spot chosen by Prito the one that used to have the Gaulish tribe settled upon it? Are they still there? Did they become barbarians or are they going to have to be driven out or allowed to become a minority within the city?

13. ork75

ork75 Prince

Fine. I accept, my Queen, as long as my descendants may join and serve their country.

14. Patriotic_Fool

Patriotic_Fool The Mitt ©

Did the orders lock yet? (Lock overdue if the Queen post was the lock).

Eager to see whether my assassinations went through peace negotiations were fully settled. :)

Sigh, I'm going to miss the thrills :\

I guess the game will be more fun, now that half the players don't need to worry about a death each turn!

15. Ravus_Sol

The Old Hunter gave a tired sigh at the eagerness of the King.

"It must be the drive of the young that allows you to take on so many different positions of responsibility. But then I remember your Father being the same. Will you be staying here in the capital away from your city my King? Or travel to your City away from the peoples of the Capital you wish to change?"

Cern, paused to take a deep breath, glancing once at the Monument situated in the town centre outside the palace.

"We do not need a renewal of religion, merely a renewal of spirit. When was the last time some people took a walk in the forest, merely to commune with the Spirits? When was the last time people travelled to the Sacred Grove, the Sacred Waters or even to this, the Monument of the Kings and Ancestors, merely to sit and listen to the whispers of the gods on high?"

"I would suggest that long term we try to make sure that there is a Sacred Place for each of the gods. For that of course we need more land and having real Shrines in the cities would help. Perhaps each city themselves could have a patron god, with the Capitals obviously being Danona of the Sacred River."

"I would be happy to work closer with the Tanaiste of the Capital. Any help you need in setting up the City Council I will happily provide."

16. Ravus_Sol

OOC: This is just a Quarter Update, but yes I assume the Orders have locked and that the Conclusion update is being written. But either way, really? More Assassins? :crazyeye:

17. Civleader

Civleader King

Session 7 Turn 2 is now locked. Processing time has begun.

OOC: Good question, I can find this post where Prito chose a place to be settled. The Gaulish tribe is still there, and if you wished to settle there you would have to deal with them (militarily or diplomatically, you choose). Dont forget the interest of other nations as well.

IC:
    "I am glad you have accepted this position Victarion Stark. May you keep the balance of justice as you kept the balance of your sword.

I also approve Supreme Commander Lugaid's policy, the transfer of the Ancetral Army to the Ri of Cathair Na Lugaid, and of the new assignment of the Protector's Division to take out the barbarian camp in the south."

18. Patriotic_Fool

Patriotic_Fool The Mitt ©

Aislinn Ui Aronokath speaks after hearing the Breton's speech.

"I agree completely. I myself have spent weeks at a time with nothing but the pure, unadulterated wilderness and the gods to accompany me. It was a spiritually enlightening experience, and as you know such experience has moved me so much as to seek peace where normally there would be only bloodshed.

I agree with you. We should go out into the wilderness and be at one with the gods. While I do not disagree with the High Druid's qualifications - I am sure he had an excellent upbringing with the druids, he may not know the true spiritualness and humility that comes with being alone in the wild.

Perhaps the High Druid and I could journey into the wilds for a few days, to further strengthen our bond of peace, and to show that through the gods, even the most opposed parties and factions can come together in harmony to seek a better future, together."

OOC: Jeho, let's go on a trip together :)

(If you fear for your life, remember that I'm not stupid enough to stab you in the back when you have given me a nice opportunity at working in the system. Such a foolhardy move would shatter my plans and set me back quite a bit, all over one assassination).

Of course, if you're leaving for the other city then I suppose we can't have our little get-together. Shame Dun Eideaan will see its High Druid leave :\

19. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

The top X in this settling map is the one I'm talking about. As you can see the Gauls are elsewhere.

Spoiler :

OOC: I'm otherwise occupied with other tasks, I don't have the time to wander about the wilderness (although Prito has done that for long periods of time already, for various reasons)

20. dot80

dot80 Emperor

"I thank the High Queen for her Appointment. I accept, and after finishing negotiations in Egypt I'll return to dun Eideann"