Governments and Politics II

"I thank the High Queen for her Appointment. I accept, and after finishing negotiations in Egypt I'll return to dun Eideann"

"I am glad you will return with your experience on foreign lands, your council will be of great help on the matter. As for Ambassadors, I am looking for two people to serve as ambassadors: one to go to Egypt, and one to go to Carthage. If anyone is willing to serve Celtia in such a matter, please let me know privately."

She then returned into the palace, the doors closing behind her.

OOC: Good, thanks for the clarification Jehosua, was wondering if we would have to deal with the Gauls, I'm glad we don't have to... well, have to NOW.

Aislinn Ui Aronokath speaks after hearing the Breton's speech.

"I agree completely. I myself have spent weeks at a time with nothing but the pure, unadulterated wilderness and the gods to accompany me. It was a spiritually enlightening experience, and as you know such experience has moved me so much as to seek peace where normally there would be only bloodshed.

I agree with you. We should go out into the wilderness and be at one with the gods. While I do not disagree with the High Druid's qualifications - I am sure he had an excellent upbringing with the druids, he may not know the true spiritualness and humility that comes with being alone in the wild.

Perhaps the High Druid and I could journey into the wilds for a few days, to further strengthen our bond of peace, and to show that through the gods, even the most opposed parties and factions can come together in harmony to seek a better future, together."

Cern nodded along to the Aronokath Clan Head, although he winced at the blunt summation of the High Priest not knowing true Spirituality.

"You speak boldly young Aronokath. Tell me, for I have never thought to ask, what is the Patron God of the Aronokath Clan? Do you then encourage the ways of Succellus the god of the forests and nature? Or some other wild God..."

"It is my belief that all the Clans should start to honour their patron gods more openly. In fact I have decided to help create opportunities for spirituality by setting up a Hunting Community, so that Hunters can live in the wilds if they so wish, returning only to sell their wares. This should allow Hunters, and others who feel a kinship with nature to spend time living in the wild. The Camp will be dedicated to Cernunnos my personal Patron God. People will be able to train in the ways of the hunt, Grand Hunts will be able to be organized and spiritual journeys made. If any of my fellow Hunters wish to join me in starting to set up this endeavor then talk to me later."

When Ceri came out to address the crowd about the Egyptian Diplomats upcoming return and needing new diplomats, Cern quieted. As she returned to the palace he turned to the other people in the square with mild worry.

"While an Ambassador to each of the Great Powers is a necessary act, we should also start a dialogue with Gauls so that we know what to do about them where the time comes. They are still sitting on good land to expand into and it is one of the sources of our Sacred River. Perhaps some Druids could be dispatched at the least to enlighten them to the wonders of the gods?"

Finbar and Garvan: "We support Cern's suggestion to send a missionary dispatchment of Druids to enlighten the Gauls. We must not let Carthage enthrall them with their false gods."

The High Druid Prito Ui Neill scowled at Aislinns foolishness, and after hearing Cern talk responded.

-

I remind Aislinn that I have spent many years alone in the wilds, both before and after my sojourn in Cahokia at my fathers behest due to the very fact your family was intent on destroying mine. Of course you are not your ancestors but may I suggest that you learn wisdom and prudence. Insulting the son of the Prophet Breandan Ui Neill, who revealed the gods names to us, and is now the current High Druid by insinuating falsehoods is on the whole... unwise.

Regardless on what Cern has said, the renewal of spirit he says is necessary is a component of the religious renewal I am saying is necessary. What the virtue of religion is, is the wholesome devotion and submission to the divine will made manifest through the theological virtues of piety, charity and faith. This submission, this orienting of the wills of mortal men inclined to error to the perfect will of the gods results in the purification the spirit at the gods hands, as the soul is spiritually refined and made holy. If our society returns to its routes, and bows once more in submission to the gods, where now too many make themselves and their own opinions the sole authority, the whole society itself shall become the greater as the manifestation of the spiritual renewal of individual persons within the totality of the celtic nation. Should this renewal of the virtue of religion not occur. Should people continue to arrogantly scoff at the divine, or worse believe in the gods but then not make the divine will the centre of their lives, then the evils of the dark adversary will only continue to flourish, to the ruin of us all.

To this end, I also concur with yourself and my brother druids that missionary efforts to the Gauls should assist in our own renewal, in addition to warding against false interpretations of divinity. I also give my support to your efforts to renew the Cult of Cernunnos and in general support such popular devotion to particular gods on the part of those whom find in them their patrons.

OOC: Well, I was raised IN the sacred druid forests. Oh well, not that it really matters.

IC:

"I apologize for sounding condescending. As I said, I do not doubt that Prito is an excellent Druid. I also agree that we should send druids to the Celts, to educate them in the ways of the wise Celts."

OOC: Civleader, do you have records of children/wives of deceased characters? I was just in the SG and noticed Ravus had bumped the lineage thread and was reminded that I hadn't updated mine since the start of the game.

OOC: Civleader, do you have records of children/wives of deceased characters? I was just in the SG and noticed Ravus had bumped the lineage thread and was reminded that I hadn't updated mine since the start of the game.

OOC: yeah, I have records of everyone. I'll send them to you once I get home. If anyone else nees this too, send me a PM.

Hey, what's new been happening? Can civleader or someone send me a pm of all i've missed?

Hey, what's new been happening? Can civleader or someone send me a pm of all i've missed?

OOC: The social group has a thread dedicated to important links that will send you to the updates for each session, I'm also starting a thread on the Stone Age history of Celtia. In short, Bouddica family is fallen and Ui Neill is the new dynasty. Monarchy and Tradition is a established way of life, two rebellions have occured to displace this social setting, one by Arakonath (Patriotic Fool) and one by Criotsoir (Cristos). Both failed. Foreign policy is heating up and Celtia will be able to have a real Religion instead of a Pantheon soon.

There is honestly too much to be entirely brief at this point.

Civleader has had some RL stuff crop up so the conclusion update may be a few more days. Hope whatever it is isn't bad CL.

Public Announcement

"I, Aislinn Aronokath, have spent many years in the wild, and the gods have revealed many amazing things to me. I am proud to announce a new religious following, "The Old Way". Fellow Celts, if you are interested in becoming more connected to the gods, and exploring your inner nature and the roots of your Celtic heritage, then come join me.

I have written a book on my religious experiences in the wild, I urge you to read it. It shall be free and available to all!"

OOC: Note - Patron gods of my pantheon are 'Matrona [earth, motherhood], Sucellus [ancient forests], Danona [River, healing]'

Public Release

Spoiler :
"The Calling of the Wilds"

I remember my first Experience in the woods. I was very young - about 6 years old. What happens to all young boys happened to me; I explored the forests and streams around our camp, and I began feeling the urge we all have deep inside us. We have a desire to connect with the wild, and that desire manifests itself at a young age.

I never strayed too far from camp, away from my loving mother and father, away from my warm tent that I knew so well. This one particular time was different. Being a normal 6 year old, I wanted to keep playing when mother called me back to camp for breakfast. I obliged, and began making my way back to camp. It was then I heard the Call. The whispers of the forest, the quiet chirping of the birds, the rustling of leaves. The sound was foreign yet familiar to me, and I followed it deeper in the forest. For those who do not know what it is, it cannot be explained very well. A collection of sounds, yet one sound, not all at the same time, but not separated.

Regardless, I ventured deeper in the forest. My mother's calling faded and the Call grew stronger. At first it was a mild hum, a constant low pitched buzz. As I went deeper, the sounds grew more intense. It was clearer and clearer. I continued, and soon the sound drowned out everything. It was disorienting, and I stumbled around. I could not contain myself, and I collapsed. I thought I was going to die. I closed my eyes, and everything faded into darkness..

I awoke, and looked around. I was in a circular clearing. A bird which I had never seen before was perched on a fallen log near me. It looked at me, and then flew away silently. I got up, brushed myself off, and began walking away. That's when I saw something that would change my life forever.

An old man, physically weak, clad in tattered rags, was propped up against a tree. He heard me walking and let out a cough.

He looked up at me, and began to speak in a weak, hushed tone. "I did not expect to see anyone else here. None should have found me."

I stared at him in silence. I was both horrified and intrigued. He continued.

"Oh, young boy.. you should not have come here. You should not have to see this."

I asked him why he was out here, all alone.

"I am an old hunter. I have lived in these woods my entire life. These trees have kept me safe, and cared for me. They sheltered me and provided me with my daily food. It's time I return to them."

He let out a short series of painful, heavy coughs.

"Boy, how did you stumble upon me? Where are your parents?"

I explained that I had heard a strange noise, and I followed it here.

He smiled, and motioned for me to come closer.

".. The Call. The gods are one with this place, and they reach out to those who venture in the forests. .. many hear the call, but few respond."

I had to know more. I asked him why it had led me here, why it was here in the first place. Before I could get my many questions answered, he closed his eyes. The man let out a sigh, and lay motionless against the tree.

Darkness was upon the camp before I finally arrived home. My mother thought I had been killed or worse, that evil spirits had taken me.

Why did I tell this story? What I experienced at the young age of 6, is something any Celt is able to experience. As the old man said, the Call reaches out to every Celtic man, woman, and child. We are a people connected to the gods, and our ancestors lived lives that were in constant reverence and contact with the gods. The forests and streams were their shrines. Our society has changed from the Old Ways. We have abandoned our sacred homes that our ancestors lived among, and taken refuge in large cities. We cannot hear the Call, for the business and chaos of daily life drowns out the sound. That does not mean the gods have abandoned us - the Call has never stopped.

Every Celt, at one point in their lives, has felt the tug of the Wild. They have felt the primal need to venture into the unknown, the foreign yet inviting forests. For many, the Call is but a whisper, for others - a shout. Many dismiss the call as just the howling of the wind, or a chirping bird, or simply the rustling of leaves.

I have experienced the Call many times, and I have ventured towards it every time. I urge every Celt that wants to feel more connected to the gods - go out alone into the wild. Answer the Call, if only for a day. You will be changed, for no man or woman, boy or girl, can return to their same lives without seeing the touch of the gods in every aspect.

So the next time you hear the leaves rattle, the trees groan, the wind blow, the wolf howl, the bird sing, or the cricket chirp. Do not ignore it. Listen.

Listen to the Call of the Wild.

Aislinn replied to Brendan.

"This Call, as my book states, does reach all Celts in some way or another. Think of it as a mighty waterfall. Those closest to the deluge can hear it clearly, but those listening from afar can just slightly hear it. The sound is omnipresent, but it is up to the individual to listen. If they struggle to hear the Call, a venture into the wilds will surely prove fruitful for them."

Public Speech: High Druid.

From what I have heard of the devotional cult known as the "Old Way", I hear nothing from it that is outright incorrect or heretical. Indeed the call he speaks of is well known to the druids, my father called it the voice of the forest and from its song he recieved the revelation of the divinities, and the druids retain the sacred grove as a sanctuary to connect with the divine voice. Any devotional movement that seeks to connect the common people, particularly those in Dun Eideann where so many live impiously and lack religious devotion, to the voice, such as this old way or the cult of cernunnos Cern Ui Breton promotes, is praiseworthy so long as it is conformed to truth and the religious authority of the druidic orders and exists within and in continuity with the druidic religion and its sacred guardianship.

Should this movement or any other however seek to promote itself as some new religion, should it reject the druids authority and act in hostility against them or seek to usurp their sacred sites and groves, should its members promote themselves as superior to them and begin to separate from the druids, who are the guardians of divine wisdom and keepers of our ancient ways, it would show itself as not conformed to the right religion and should be opposed. Indeed in that instance, that divisive sect be it this old way, the cult of cernunnos or any other cult to come, can only be seen as a front of the dark adversary, a deception designed with the destruction of man as its ultimate end, and that cult is to be everywhere condemned and opposed, and its adherents rightly put to the fire like the heretic Criostoir Cadwaladr of old to restore the right order between the nation, and the gods.

As such I would urge the founder of this "Old Way" movement to subjugate himself to the authority of the druids and to otherwise carefully safeguard those who would follow him lest this movement fall into error, with the same going for other such movements and devotional cults. Until these devotional cults clarify their doctrine and subordinate themselves to the authority of the druids, then I would urge the people to look upon such movements with caution.

Hey guys, just reporting in and telling you the update is coming, will be up tomorrow. I had a surge of RL stuff that I was expecting, but not anticipating how time consuming it would be. I apologize, and thank you for your patience.

Response to the High Druid:

"Greetings Prito. I understand that you may be concerned about heresy from my new movement, but I will gladly lay any fears you may have to rest.

The Old Way is not a new religion, but a movement and way of thinking that many Celts have been looking for. It aims at connecting Celts to the wild, in a time where many live their whole lives in the city and farms, and do not have the time or ability to venture into the ancient forests. The patron gods reflect the essential qualities of the Wild, for they embody the values and essence of the forests.

I would be happy to allow druids to delve deeper into the Old Way. I will be publishing more works soon, and if you have not yet, I suggest you read my book on the Calling of the Wild.

We do not seek to usurp the Druids or cause harm, we are focused on peace and serenity, a quality I learned throughout the years. We are connected directly to the gods, in the sanctuaries and shrines that our ancestors used. The Great Chief and those before him did not have massive temples and places of worship, yet they still communicated freely with the gods.

If you have any questions, I would be happy to answer them."

I have read your book, and beyond acknowledging what the druids have always known about the voice, it is lacking in theological detail and as such caution is necessary on the part of the faithful in regards to your devotional cult until such time as a frank outline of your cults theology is submitted for judgement.

Regardless, as I have said any legitimate religious movement must subject itself to the authority of the druids, who are the guardians of divine wisdom, to be truly legitimate. This you have yet to do despite my call that you do so.

OOC: I have a list of beliefs and stuff set up, I'll get it to you soon ©

And I'd prefer if you didn't dance around the idea of burning heretics. Such barbaric evils shouldn't even be considered.

After all, I'm sure you know how it feels to be burned, and I don't think it was enjoyable.. :rolleyes:

OOC: I have a list of beliefs and stuff set up, I'll get it to you soon ©

And I'd prefer if you didn't dance around the idea of burning heretics. Such barbaric evils shouldn't even be considered.

After all, I'm sure you know how it feels to be burned, and I don't think it was enjoyable.. :rolleyes:

ooc: As run of the mill druids, we sacrifice heretics and the occasional other victim to the gods via wicker men, the precedent is already set :p

Oh, and I will be awaiting your doctrinal statement via PM, and that public submission to, and acknowledgement of druidic authority as well, no parallell magisteriums in this Celtia ;)

Cern took the scroll from Aronokath as he started to argue with Brendan Morthwyl It was well written, although it was more a tale of spiritual experiance then any sort of divine law.

The old hunter glanced up as he heard;

"If the Old Gods were real, why would they be powerless in our cities? Why would this "Call" you speak of not reach us no matter where we are?"

Shock and horror shook his bony frame. "I am sure, Brendan of the Morthwyl clan, that you have spoken without thinking. That you merely misspoke when you proclaimed some of the gods as not real. The gods of nature may be older and less useful for many city dwellers, but that does not make them unreal, just as a peaceful man never having need of Rudianos the God of war would not make Rudianos unreal."

Cern then listend to Prito while carefully handing back the scroll to the young Aronokath. When the young Ri was finished Cern then addressed the crowd himself in a public speech.

"The Call of the Wilds, the Song of Nature or whatever name it is called, this used to be all that we were about in the days of old. A movement to reclaim this aspect of our lives can only be a good thing. I personally would argue that such a cult would also need the the patronage of Lir, God of the Ocean, to make it truely balanced for all the old gods of nature."

"I myself will merely stick to that which I know. The Cult of Cernnunnos shall be created as planned. It will of course be a Part of the Druidic Religion, we would never try to stop the worship of other gods. The hunting community merely wishes to give particular emphasiss to the Horned God of the Hunt. Our prayers shall be in the form of our kills, our worship in the food we provide for the people. We will particularly be looking into how the new Bronze weaponry and Archery can be used in hunting while still keeping it's spiritualness. We will of course still pray to other gods when we need them, my families patron god is still Lugda, god of crafts and wisdom. It is to him I pray for my family and for guidance in hard times."

"However, while Prito our High Druid is correct in calling for the individual god cults to show their acceptance and recognition of the whole pantheon, this recognition goes both ways. Currently what positions of worth are there in the Druidic Religion? Merely the High Druid and the Second Druid. With the High Druid position being supposedly hereditary! Yet the Council of Chiefs is supposed to allow positions to both the Clan Chiefs AND to 'the highest druidic authorities'. I would call on the High Druid to give all accepted cults recognition in turn as speakers for their individual gods along with a nominal title. Finally I would ask that when the creation of the Cult of Cernunnos truely begins that some Druids come with us to make sure that we are truely knowledgable in all the ways of the gods. For while we claim a higher connection with Cernunnos we are merely mortals to the other gods of Celtia."

"I will bring forth a scroll laying out the current methodology on the wordhip of Cernunnos and the planned layout of our Camp Community and the heirarchy of our group. I will be collecting all works I can that focus on Hunting, Scouting, Skinning, Living in the Forests and so on. I will also be storing my personal memoirs there. These works will be public for all who wish to read them and any man will be able to learn the Hunting ways. If a public Library is ever built I have left instructions for my descendents to donate these works to it upon completion."

Nodding to some other Hunters Cern then stalked of to talk with some Druids milling around.

Hey guys, just reporting in and telling you the update is coming, will be up tomorrow. I had a surge of RL stuff that I was expecting, but not anticipating how time consuming it would be. I apologize, and thank you for your patience.

OOC: Glad to have you back and I'm sure we will look forward to the update while we wile away the time with theogical debates :lol: No apologies neccessary.

Top Bottom