1. We have added a Gift Upgrades feature that allows you to gift an account upgrade to another member, just in time for the holiday season. You can see the gift option when going to the Account Upgrades screen, or on any user profile screen.
    Dismiss Notice

Governments and Politics II

Discussion in 'Civ5 - Stories & Let's Plays' started by Civleader, Jul 16, 2012.

1. Patriotic_Fool

Patriotic_Fool The Mitt ©

OOC: Jeho, ill bounce off more ideas and stuff for my cult soon. Did you know about the two things that I did? (both were public)

IC:

"I knew Cern very well, and he was a strong, kind, and spiritual man. If raiders killed him on his way to a spiritual journey, then this is unacceptable. As judge of the Lower District, I will do my best to find those who did this to him and bring them to justice.

May his son be wise and follow in his father's footsteps."

2. swimandciv

swimandciv Warlord

I would like to volunteer to join the foreign service

3. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

OOC: Of course I know what you did.

regardless no doctrinal statement = no approval. Just do something like Ravus did which also submits itself to druidic authority and it should be fine. I just can't say somethings all good religiously if I don't know what its teachings are. (thus why Filli's ancestor cult is yet to be approved also)

4. Patriotic_Fool

Public Speech/Announcement

Aislinn Ui Aronokath stood on a platform in the lower district. A crowd gathered, eager to hear what he had to say.

"Greetings friends, brothers and sisters, fellow Celts. We are moving forward to a peaceful future, and many of you who were part of my earlier pilgrimage were part of it. The celebrations I held were only the beginning. By encouraging cooperation, trade, and peace, we can set aside the horrors that scarred the past.

I have a request of you, fellow Celts. If you have not heard, Cern Ui Breton, renowned hunter and religious scholar, was recently murdered. His untimely death shines light on an inner problem - raiders and crime in our city has gone unpunished for too long.

I need your help. Only by working together can we overcome this problem. Should any Celt have any information on illegal doings, crime to smallest degree, or bandits and raiders, please come to me. Even if you do not think it is significant, it may be of great help to me.

I would also like to announce the creation of the Church of the Old Way. There are many believers, and I am organizing a place where we can hold peaceful ceremonies and gatherings. All who wish to learn the Old Ways may join the Church at any time. I ask nothing from the members but a voluntary donation if they deem it necessary. All proceeds given to the church will go to humanitarian efforts in the poor and lower districts, and to bettering Celtia as a whole.

Finally, if any man, woman, or child is in need of my judicial services, whether to settle a dispute, or if they are in need of my Druidic services and healing abilities, please come see me at any time.

Thank you."

With that, Aislinn stepped down from the stage.

5. Patriotic_Fool

OOC: I also submitted a doctrinal statement and submitted to druidic authority. There isn't much more I can do, I believe I have done everything you asked.

As far as my teachings go, I am afraid that I do not have the writing talents of you or Ravus, and writing a 5 page guide on day-to-day religious acts would be too laborious.

I will say that our religious meetings will involve public acts of charity, public projects, time meditating in the wilds, perhaps cooperation with Ravus' cult in a hunting operation, walks to Stonehenge, and the like.

6. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

OOC: Church?

and I would remind you that your judicial authority only applies in the lowtown and poor districts, and that other persons are responsible for dealing with crime elsewhere. Anyways I have asked a pair of questions, and then once those are answered I will sum up the limited information you've produced regarding your cult, maybe elaborate on some detail, into a "doctrinal assesment" of some sort, send it to you to see if its correct. Then perhaps I can get around to approving your thing. (if you ditch the term Church, which is a) anachronistic, and b) implies separation from druidism)

7. dot80

dot80 Emperor

I thank you for this great service to your country, and hope that your example will encourage others to follow suit. I will send you a messenger with all the specifics (PM). May your journey be safe and enlightening!

8. Patriotic_Fool

OOC: Fine I'll drop "church", if it upsets you that much..

I'll write up a long, dry document regarding my religious beliefs, and I'll do my best to be thorough and detailed. Coming in the next few hours..

And while I would be happy if the authorities would simply solve our bandit problem instantly, I was personal friends with Cern and I feel that I have an obligation to his family to find those responsible.

That, and I'm a judge of the lower districts, most reputed for crime and ill-doings.

9. Patriotic_Fool

The Path of the Ancients [Work in Progress]

Spoiler :
    The Path of the Ancients is the path of the forest and our ancestors. It is the Old Way - the Way that was once known by all, now known by only few. The question is this: What must one do to follow the Old Way? By participating in a few simple rituals, one can easily become closer to the gods and the Old Way.

Rituals:

>Pilgrimage to the forests, alone or in a group
    >Pilgrimage to Stonehenge, the greatest monument ever created
    >Public Charity Events, projects and efforts of the Followers of the Old Way to help those less fortunate on a large scale
    >Private Charity Events, even simple acts of kindness and patronage can stir the spirit
    >Hunting Festivals
    >Human sacrifices

OOC: I'm trying to type more but I'm bone dry. Religion just isn't my thing. What do you think?

10. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

ooc: Well considering the nature of devotional cults as corollary to the religion they are a part of, It would be acceptable. Just so long as you also make a statement submitting your devotional movement to the authority of the druidic establishment.

11. Patriotic_Fool

OOC: Define "submit authority".

I'm fine with supervision and possible intervention if needed. What I don't want is to see my Cult taken away and put in the hands of Druids.

12. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

The druids serve as the guardians and preservers of religious knowledge, ergo by submitting to their authority, I mean their religious and spiritual authority on matters doctrinal and moral, with the possibility of intervention if you or your cult goes astray.

PS: I can see you're not kidding when you say "religion is not your thing" :p

13. Patriotic_Fool

OOC: You're*

"I submit authority to the Druids, and the Druidic Establishment."

14. Jehoshua

Jehoshua Catholic

Public Speech:

After clarifications, it has become my understanding that this Cult of the Ancient Way is primarily dedicated to the maintanence of the ancient devotions of our ancestors, and preserving the charity of our ancient ancestors. Ergo this cult is primarily one of devotional practice and does not include particular spiritual teachings unique to itself, but rather it seeks to spread the ancient teachings of the druids, and our ancestors to the people in the present age, where the separation between man and nature has widened. Something that can only be praised by the faithful

As such, considering its promoter has finally after much discussion submitted his cult to druidic authority, and understood that authorities nature. Now that he has brought his cult under the rod of guidance should it come to pass that this cult should ever go astray. I High Druid of the Gods grant my approval to this cult of the ancient way, and find nothing heretical, apostatical or otherwise inimical to our holy religion within it.

15. Civleader

Civleader King

Grace Period is now over. Transition Time has begun.

16. Ravus_Sol

Ravus_Sol God-Emperor of Mankind

OOC: Goddam it, I had convinced myself that Grace Period wasn't going to start until you had read the PMs you mention at the end of the last thing. I'll send some emergency quick orders and hope that is enough.

17. Civleader

Civleader King

No problem, I'll accept them.
    sorry for the confusion.

18. Patriotic_Fool

The Path of the Ancients

Spoiler :

The Old Gods
    Sucellus: god of ancient forests
    Danona: spirit of THE river, a healing goddess
    Matrona: goddess of the earth, and motherhood

The Gods can be split into many factions, those dealing with physical things of nature, those dealing with human emotions and works and the high gods above everything. The Path of the Ancients is concerned with the gods of old, chiefly forgotten these days.

Spiritual Concepts

The Path of the Ancients is the path of the forest and our ancestors. It is the Old Way - the Way that was once known by all, now known by only few. Followers of the Way believe that this ancient connection to nature and the land is necessary for the Celtic peoples to be spiritually whole.

The three main gods and goddess's linked to nature are Matrona, Sucellus and Danona. Others exist, but these three are considered sacrament to the ideals of man being able to live with nature.

Rituals
    The rituals of the Path of the Ancients are about connecting with the land, and thus connecting with the celtic people. Both are linked.

>Pilgrimage to the forests, alone or in a group
    >Pilgrimage to Stonehenge, the greatest monument ever created
    >Public Charity Events, projects and efforts of the Followers of the Old Way to help those less fortunate on a large scale
    >Private Charity Events, even simple acts of kindness and patronage can stir the spirit
    >Hunting Festivals
    >Human sacrifices

Organization
    The Path of the Ancients is mainly centralised around the Aronokath figurehead. With all followers encouraged to spread the teachings casually as they will. Aside from the Rituals, the followers also try to bring parts of nature into the city, plants and trees can be easily kept in certain places. Followers are also tasked to maintain the older places of worship such as the Ancient forests.

The Cult of the Ancients submits itself to the Druidic Authority of the land, whom they acknowledge as the authority in the higher spiritual matters. The Path of the Ancient Ways is more focused on the lower connection between man and nature.

Future
    The followers would like to make sure all cities and peoples of Celtia have a connection with the voice of the forest and with nature.

OOC: Thank you ravus :)

19. Tambien

Tambien Theseus, Duke of Athens

20. Civleader

Civleader King

Hi everyone, just giving a status report of the session, I am about half way (finals got in the way a bit) but I can't go on at the moment since the civ v game decided not to be responsive. Its, for some reason, not opening. It tells me instead that "Steam.exe (main excepetion): Cannot open blob archive file: CMultiFieldBlob(mem-mapped file): Failed to open file"

Hopefully I can have this resolved soon so I could have the update ready as soon as possible.